Royal Eliminates Neighborhood Balcony Perks

ValerieJo

4 hours ago, rockmom said:

I didn't get a confirmation either, however I did take a screenshot at the end of the survey that shows I completed it and was grandfathered in on the Dine Drink Discover package.  With Royal, I take a LOT of screenshots, lol.  

I would advise anyone working through a travel agent to have them complete the process for you and send you the final resolution in writing. That way you have two witnesses and written documentation.

I called Royal Caribbean a few times while this issue was active, and if I learned anything, it is that they will stonewall anything and everything unless you can prove your case. I have no doubt that come next year, we will see threads in this forum entitled, "Royal refused to honor my grandfathered neighborhood balcony perks." 

• Like 1

This is not all that surprising. On my Symphony sailing last month, I didn't even receive the letter in my room outlining the "Dine, Drink, Discover" perks. I had it on Harmony the year before. The bottle of red wine was waiting; however, looking online, it's rated very poorly.

I'm sure many people never claimed their lunch at Jamie's Italian simply because they didn't know.

I emailed Guest Services since I never got any of the emails and told them that we wanted to keep our Boardwalk Balcony perks on Friday night. I got a confirmation that we will receive our perks on Saturday morning. I have that email saved in my phone and will be printing out a copy and keeping it with my cruise docs just in case I need it. 

I have no problem with RCCL discontinuing the program if they didn’t think it was working, or whatever reason. I do have a problem with the fact that so many of us, myself included, never got and email regarding the discontinuation.  I am glad that RCCL  did decide to do the right thing and grandfather us or allow us to choose the OBC if that was our preference. I’m also grateful that even though I never got any of the emails that I should have, I was still able to contact them and opt to keep my perks.

6 hours ago, perfect match said:

I emailed Guest Services since I never got any of the emails and told them that we wanted to keep our Boardwalk Balcony perks on Friday night. I got a confirmation that we will receive our perks on Saturday morning. I have that email saved in my phone and will be printing out a copy and keeping it with my cruise docs just in case I need it. 

I have no problem with RCCL discontinuing the program if they didn’t think it was working, or whatever reason. I do have a problem with the fact that so many of us, myself included, never got and email regarding the discontinuation.  I am glad that RCCL  did decide to do the right thing and grandfather us or allow us to choose the OBC if that was our preference. I’m also grateful that even though I never got any of the emails that I should have, I was still able to contact them and opt to keep my perks.

Which email address did you send your message to?  I would also like confirmation. 

Edited by soremekun

On 9/19/2019 at 5:14 PM, sjb317 said:

Unfortunately, we have 2 more cruises with Royal that are past final payment date.  Not sure we will continue to cruise with Royal after those.

Sherri😠

I would probably be looking at other options once all of the cruises that are past final payment have been taken.  I have been trying to figure out a cruise for our 25th anniversary and had been looking mostly at Royal, but with this latest thing- I am definitely considering other options. I will make it to Emerald (haha) at the completion of our December cruise, but that's hardly worth worrying about. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 11:46 AM, Host Clarea said:

I'll bet in this particular case, the feedback from the ships was a contributing factor.  How many were trying to switch red wine with white wine. We're only two in the stateroom, can we bring two guests with us to our free JR lunch? 

Would switching red wine for white wine really be that much of a problem?  I mean, I would take whatever they gave me  I prefer white. Husband prefers red.  Either of us would be happy with "free" wine of either description.  LOL  I guess there are a lot of people who try to bend the rules and take advantage, but it does seem they could offer a similarly valued wine if that was truly an issue.  Maybe I am reading this too literally?

On 9/19/2019 at 12:46 PM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Staff is part of the corporation - RCI guarantees the payment to the staff - if people remove - they will have to make it up! 👍😎

That is about the most petty way I can think of to make a statement!  While staff is part of the corporation (theoretically as they are "representatives" of the corporation), they are the ones with the absolute least power to do anything about this situation. Do you honestly think they are all going to have a giant revolt if no-one tips and then suddenly corporate is going to give them all of their tips. No!! Just like everything else that happens at corporate, they will break any employment "contracts" they have and fire everyone and start over. 

On 9/20/2019 at 1:28 PM, mayleeman said:

Who the heck knows whether neighbors on a cruise have a soda cup?

Yes, how would they know their neighbor didn't purchase the soda package separately on their own? Is the soda cup different for the incentive than if you buy a soda package or refreshment package? 

I have to say I have never thought twice about how someone got their soda cup. I just "assumed" you got it with a package whether a passenger purchased the package or got it through some sort of reward or incentive.   People worry too much about stupid stuff.  That's what happens in a world where no-one can have anything because someone else might be sad because someone has something they don't.

• Like 2

The point is no one cares about a soda cup. Its not a reason it's just an excuse that a royal rep made up. Honestly I feel for the rep. It was such an indefensible position and this was the best excuse the rep could come up with off the top of his/her head.

1 hour ago, MoniMommy said:

The point is no one cares about a soda cup. Its not a reason it's just an excuse that a royal rep made up. Honestly I feel for the rep. It was such an indefensible position and this was the best excuse the rep could come up with off the top of his/her head.

That excuse is so lame that I wouldn't be surprised if it came right out of corporate in Miami.

• Like 2

So I’m almost embarrassed to ask this question but here goes.... what drink package comes with the boardwalk balcony rooms?  Guessing it’s just the basic soda package. 

We didn’t book this room for the “extras” but now that they want to take them away- I’m not sure if I want to keep them or not. 

Thanks!  

1 minute ago, rsfunk said:

So I’m almost embarrassed to ask this question but here goes.... what drink package comes with the boardwalk balcony rooms?  Guessing it’s just the basic soda package. 

We didn’t book this room for the “extras” but now that they want to take them away- I’m not sure if I want to keep them or not. 

Thanks!  

Used to be the classic soda package.

13 hours ago, legaljen1969 said:

Yes, how would they know their neighbor didn't purchase the soda package separately on their own? Is the soda cup different for the incentive than if you buy a soda package or refreshment package? 

I have to say I have never thought twice about how someone got their soda cup. I just "assumed" you got it with a package whether a passenger purchased the package or got it through some sort of reward or incentive.   People worry too much about stupid stuff.  That's what happens in a world where no-one can have anything because someone else might be sad because someone has something they don't.

I absolutely agree with you. The people who notice who has a soda cup are the same ones that notice what people are wearing on formal night and complain on CC if it’s not to their liking.  I could care less if the guy sitting at the table is wearing a suit or shorts.  He’s on his vacation and I’m on mine.  My husband never wore shorts to dinner but it doesn’t make him right 

Just called the D+ desk to confirm the noted changes to the  neighborhood promo and if true(:classic_sad:) ascertain what actions I should take to retain the promo.  The rep. confirmed the change and placed a note in the 4 reservations, my wishes (I control the reserves).  Asked for confirmations, but was told since it's an amenity they do not issue any confirmations.  Frustration, as who knows what can happen when we sail on Harmony in April.  Got the person first name, but would not provide me with a last name, however, he gave me his code number.

1 hour ago, thrifty99 said:

Glad to see RC did the right thing (that they should have from the start).  Great job to everyone who wrote e:mails and posted to social media... that is what forced them to honor what people had purchased.  

I wonder if travel agents had something to do with this. Travel agents were in a bad position. In the future they would not be able to confidently and wholeheartedly reccomend RCL. They would never know if Royal would honor a promotion. I bet they received calls from travel agents who may have even more weight than individual consumers since they are in a position to influence travel choices if their clients.

• Like 1

Here's a reply from my e-mail to Bayley:

Harmony Of The Seas / 12-Apr-2020 / 5922843,5916137,5913318, 5909685 / 1-39809742678 

Sep 23 at 1:38 PM
photo?spsize=80X80&fallback_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fdh%2Fap%2Fsocial%2Fprofile%2Fprofile_a64.png&alphatar_photo=true&appId=YMailNorrin&format=image
Javier Perdomo <ex-co@rccl.com>
To: Me
Hello Me,

Thank you for contacting the Executive Office of Royal Caribbean International. On behalf of Mr. Bayley, President & CEO, I am pleased to respond to your email.

It is disheartening to know that we’ve disappointed you in regards to our DINE • DRINK • DISCOVER program. I can assure you that this was never our intention. After careful review, we have decided to allow our guests to decide if they would like to keep their dining program for their boardwalk stateroom, or if they would rather keep the Onboard Credit offer that can be used for any onboard purchase. Unfortunately, moving forward, this program will be cancelled for future sailings.

Please visit the following link to let us know your preference by October 4th, 2019.

Me, thank you for taking the time to contact us with your feedback. We look forward to seeing you onboard Harmony of the Seas in April of 2020!

Sincerely,

Javier Perdomo
Royal Guest Experience Management
Executive Team

Funny, it mentions the Boardwalk cabins, but not my CP booked cabins.

On 9/21/2019 at 11:44 AM, rockmom said:

I didn't get a confirmation either, however I did take a screenshot at the end of the survey that shows I completed it and was grandfathered in on the Dine Drink Discover package.  With Royal, I take a LOT of screenshots, lol.  

The lack of a confirmation has bothered me, but I think your suggestion will at least give me something in hand if I run into an issue. I went back and hit the link again, and stepped through the process again, and took a screen shot.

Thank you for the idea.

On 9/22/2019 at 8:28 PM, Ocean Boy said:

That excuse is so lame that I wouldn't be surprised if it came right out of corporate in Miami.

I agree the excuse was lame. However, their justification was even lamer.

I reached a supervisor (Kevin) and when I asked how they could justify taking it away, he said it was because the package was a "complimentary perk." Since we didn't pay anything for it, they could take it away at will. He tied himself in knots trying to explain which aspects of the cruise experience were paid for and which aspects were not. By the time I gave up on him he claimed they could take away all food and entertainment for no reason because those are complimentary too. Good luck trying that!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

I agree the excuse was lame. However, their justification was even lamer.

I reached a supervisor (Kevin) and when I asked how they could justify taking it away, he said it was because the package was a "complimentary perk." Since we didn't pay anything for it, they could take it away at will. He tied himself in knots trying to explain which aspects of the cruise experience were paid for and which aspects were not. By the time I gave up on him he claimed they could take away all food and entertainment for no reason because those are complimentary too. Good luck trying that!

Next thing you know, RCCL will claim they've just decided (contrary to USCG laws) LIFEBOATS are 'complimentary' according to that line of reasoning, 'YOU ( the passenger did not PAY for the life boat, so presto bango ! they're GONE !

Mac