Shipping Suitcase Home

coljack

Forgive me for asking a question that has been covered before but I failed to write down the information at the time.  We will need to ship a medium sized suitcase home from Barcelona (where we disembark.)  We will be traveling in Spain and Morocco after the cruise and need to travel lighter.  I remember that there were two companies that were recommended.  Is there a question of security and is insurance available?  Seems scary to give our possessions to someone in Spain and trust that they will arrive home.  Maybe some would say it's no worse than giving them to the airlines.   I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice.  Also, maybe some reassurance.  (-:

We've used both Luggage Free and Luggage Forward.   They use a slightly different method of computing price, but rate seems to come out about the same.    I don't prefer one over the other.    For a while Regent seemed to be "connected" somehow with Luggage Free.   A couple of years ago, I believe they switched to Luggage Forward.   Don't exactly know what the "connection" means.   I believe that insurance is built into the cost of transport.   Have never had a problem with either.

Edited by poss

John:

I wanted to add they each provide insurance but offer the option of insuring more.  Depending on the value of your contents what they offer might not be enough.

I've never purchased additional insurance.  I would check your homeowner's insurance to see if they cover any of this.

I've never had lost luggage either.

Also since you are not going right home see what the options are for holding the luggage.  Usually this can be done by the shipping company they use when it arrives back to your home area and sometimes it's done in-country.

They both have excellent websites

www.luggagefree.com

www.luggageforward.com

While you can place the order on line I aways call and do it over the phone with a confirmation sent to me via e-mail.

Keith

Another option is if you are flying home from the city where you disembark the ship. We have left luggage at a hotel twice (once in Cape Town, and another time in Hong Kong), for a few days or up to  2 weeks. After additional travel we have come back to the same hotel for one night, retrieved our luggage, and flew home the next day.