RIP Off Excursions

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/19/2019 at 12:24 AM, cameljockey said:

I guess we've done about 14 cruises with various Cruise Lines. And I have to say we have never come back from any excursion saying that was worth the money. Look for safe alternatives, like Viator. 

Same same.  I have generally been able to prebook my own private tour via Get My Guide, Klook or Viator, sometimes Trip Advisor.  I think you should book with the ship if you can't find any alternative.  

On 7/10/2022 at 7:09 AM, unrealHeather said:

Same same.  I have generally been able to prebook my own private tour via Get My Guide, Klook or Viator, sometimes Trip Advisor.  I think you should book with the ship if you can't find any alternative.  

You aren't truly booking a private tour with those companies. You are booking with a middle- man. With a little research, you can usually find the private operator they contract with.

19 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

You aren't truly booking a private tour with those companies. You are booking with a middle- man. With a little research, you can usually find the private operator they contract with.

By private tour I mean my own tour as opposed to a tour bus with 50-100 other people.  I get your point that I am paying an aggregator but it's still a useful service that has helped me find tours at 25% of the cost of a cruise line and with smaller groups so we can accomplish more sight seeing during the short time available.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Traveling solo on the 2023 World Cruise with Costa I have done a lot of research concerning all the ports and decided my best bet will be ship-excursions. Costa's excursions are reasonable priced and I was able to book a package called "My Exploration" which is one full day and 2 half-day excursions and any additional excursions are discounted 25 %. I could not see Viator or Tripadvisor excursions any more reasonably priced and with doing the ship-excursions I know they will wait for me and if for any reason the ship is last minute not docking at the port, I am not paying for an excursion I will not be able to take. Just recently had taken all excursions with MSC besides one where we did a private tour but just because we were able to make more stops but the price was higher then the ships-excursions and  in Corfu we just took the shuttle to town and walked. I usually want to see and experience a lot so the excursions I am taking are not just a trip to a beach.