Dress Blues & Elegant Night

Melissa623

On 9/20/2019 at 3:03 PM, rvsullivan said:

Yesterday the OP said that as soon as the son found out he could wear casual clothes he decided that was what he wanted to do. He only was asking about dress uniforms because he didn't have a suit! His mom (OP) agreed that it made it easier on her also.

But, when you come on here asking for advice, you have to accept both the good with the bad! Some  who felt he was attention grabbing and seeking to take advantage have every right to their opinion! As soon as the son was given an out, he immediately took it, many young people don't want to stand out from the crowd! Case closed?

Yes, Yes, Yes, YES!    
The son took the out; he's not wearing his dress blues; it's done so everyone should give it a rest. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FP3740 said:

Absolutely acceptable. Our twin sons ( Air Force) wore theirs on the Dream a couple of years ago. Nothing but positive comments. 

Thank your son for his service. 

And please thank your sons as well. My daddy retired from the USAF, one of my brothers was AF too, his son is currently in the AF. He just got back from 4 years in Mendenhall, England and before that was 4 years in Okinawa, and now Ellsworth, South Dakota. Lol

• Like 1

On a different cruise line we choose most often, there would be the occasional gentlemen wearing kilts. Frankly, I find kilts on men very sexy...but I digress.  I think the young man on this thread made a good choice in deciding to go casual because Carnival really doesn't hold to the rules for dining, even on whatever the current name is for "formal" night.

My husband and I decided, while we were packing, to not bother with packing a suit or even a suit jacket this time and just dine casually elsewhere on the ship. He packed nice short sleeved shirt and dress slacks but no jacket. We had not cruised Carnival in several years so we weren't aware of their current rules.

When we stepped outside of our cabin and headed on our way to dine elsewhere. I saw what people were wearing as they were lined up outside of the dining room. I turned to my husband and said, looks like no one really cares or follow the rules so we lined up along with all the others who were wearing anything but dressy or formal style clothing. We even saw two middle aged women wearing what many would call "Daisy Dukes" (jean-styled shorts rolled up to their rear end). I'd like to think their luggage didn't arrive and had nothing else to wear.😄

Edited by iceleven
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:32 PM, GradUT said:

Yes, Yes, Yes, YES!    
The son took the out; he's not wearing his dress blues; it's done so everyone should give it a rest. 

I completely understand your comments. You asked a simple question and then you or your son was accused of a lot of things. I am sorry that people act like that, you should be able to ask a simple question. I know that trolls will comment on my post. I have not served in the military but I have been in a uniform for 32 years so I do have some credibility. (I'm not LE).

• Like 1

Just wear whatever he wants. It's not Vietnam anymore so no one is going to be disrespectful and shout baby killer at him or worse but he doesn't need to go through the effort if he doesn't want to. A polo and slacks or dress jeans is fine.

Thank your son for his service on behalf of the Greens. Our nephew wore his  one cruise and it was such a hassle for him to iron and store everything. He looked great but I remember him commenting that he'd never do it again and hasn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2019 at 7:32 AM, Organized Chaos said:

You can interpret my comment as you wish, but I assure you you’re wrong. Several people told the OP to tell her son to wear his uniform to get attention and my comment was in direct response to that. I simply offered my opinion as to what I thought about ANY service members who do that. You can talk tough on the internet all you want, but it’s not my fault you couldn’t comprehend. You don’t know me or my guts, thank you very much. 

I read most of the comments, I didn't read to "wear to get attention" as much as that he WOULD get attention.  Either way, I believe he's decided not to bother and just to dress like the rest of the crowd.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2019 at 9:48 PM, Organized Chaos said:

It's just my opinion of course, and I'm sure it won't be a popular one, but I lose respect for service members who purposely seek that kind of attention and recognition. That's not why we wear/wore the uniform.

Count me as one that puts you in the un-popular category.  Military wearing their uniform is in absolutely no way trying to draw attention or recognition to themselves.  It is nothing less than showing pride in what you are and what you do.  

• Like 2

On 9/19/2019 at 9:19 PM, Melissa623 said:

You are very much correct, he does get a lot of attention and he doesn't like it. He would never wear his uniform, OCP or dress blues to get attention. When he is in public in uniform and people thank him for his service he get very uncomfortable. 

After reading some of the post that have talked about it not being as formal as it once was he quickly decided that if he was okay to just wear slacks, a button-up shirt, and tie then that is what he will do. It will making packing easier too because I wasn't looking forward to trying to figure out how to pack his dress blues for the flight down. LOL 

I used to wear a suit for elegant night and really kinda miss those days, BUT, I have submitted to the masses and it does make packing much easier, by not having to take a suit.  These days, on the more mainstream cruise lines I wear nice jeans and a pull over shirt to cruise casual nights and slacks and either a button up shirt, but more often just a collared polo shirt.  Nowadays you will see less than 25% of the people actually dressed in formal attire.  But like I said I do miss the "good ol' days", but if in Rome do as the Romans.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, restasured said:

Count me as one that puts you in the un-popular category.  Military wearing their uniform is in absolutely no way trying to draw attention or recognition to themselves.  It is nothing less than showing pride in what you are and what you do.  

There's one other post of mine that you evidently didn't read where I explained myself further. In addition to that one, another of my posts was removed because I had quoted someone throwing out personal attacks, but I went into even more detail with that one. I'm not just saying things to be a jerk. I have skin in this game. As a Veteran whose been active in volunteering to help benefit Veterans and active-duty, I've spent the last 20+ years around members of the military, past & present, spanning a few generations. I can assure you that there are, in fact, those who use their status to gain attention and recognition. So you're wrong when you say, "...in absolutely no way..." My experiences are exactly why I said what I said and I stand behind every word of it because it's true. I find it highly offensive and see it as a disgrace to the uniform, so I take it very personally.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

There's one other post of mine that you evidently didn't read where I explained myself further. In addition to that one, another of my posts was removed because I had quoted someone throwing out personal attacks, but I went into even more detail with that one. I'm not just saying things to be a jerk. I have skin in this game. As a Veteran whose been active in volunteering to help benefit Veterans and active-duty, I've spent the last 20+ years around members of the military, past & present, spanning a few generations. I can assure you that there are, in fact, those who use their status to gain attention and recognition. So you're wrong when you say, "...in absolutely no way..." My experiences are exactly why I said what I said and I stand behind every word of it because it's true. I find it highly offensive and see it as a disgrace to the uniform, so I take it very personally.

I too would find it offensive and as a 6 1/2 year member of the Air Force I can honestly say I have never seen anyone use the uniform as a way to get attention or favors.  I am sorry that you feel you have.  I separated from the Air Force in 1976 and have not been around many members of the services in the past 40 years, on a personal basis, other than talking with a nephew that retired from the Navy about 15 years ago, and seldom about his service.   It may be perception on yours and or my part, but I have not in any way seen a person in the military use the uniform in the way you say.

1 hour ago, restasured said:

I am sorry that you feel you have.  It may be perception on yours and or my part

I don't feel that I have seen this, nor is it merely my "perception." My experiences are true observations of it happening. Shoot, some will admit it, even brag, about going places in uniform knowing they'll get "thank you's" or free drinks in bars and restaurants, for example. In my day, it was against the UCMJ to wear BDU's (camo) off base, unless it was for a quick stop, such as getting gas. You couldn't go out to eat in them, go shopping, whatever. But after 9/11, it became more common to see service members wearing their BDU's (or whatever their branch calls them) in situations that were against regulations. I suppose that regulation could've been changed since my day, but I doubt it. Many of them knowingly violate the UCMJ in this way because they know it draws attention. If they're in a setting where they have absolutely no reason to be in uniform, but are anyway, chances are good they're doing it for attention. I have far too much respect for the uniform to tolerate someone using it as a cheap tool for selfish reasons.

To get back to the subject at hand, a formal dinner aboard a cruise ship is certainly a situation where a dress uniform would be appropriate. I didn't make the comment that I did until several people suggested wearing it because it'd get him a lot of attention. That's the only reason I said it, because it's something I feel so strongly about. I've said enough about it, there's no need for me to continue.

Edited by Organized Chaos

5 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I don't feel that I have seen this, nor is it merely my "perception." My experiences are true observations of it happening. Shoot, some will admit it, even brag, about going places in uniform knowing they'll get "thank you's" or free drinks in bars and restaurants, for example. In my day, it was against the UCMJ to wear BDU's (camo) off base, unless it was for a quick stop, such as getting gas. You couldn't go out to eat in them, go shopping, whatever. But after 9/11, it became more common to see service members wearing their BDU's (or whatever their branch calls them) in situations that were against regulations. I suppose that regulation could've been changed since my day, but I doubt it. Many of them knowingly violate the UCMJ in this way because they know it draws attention. If they're in a setting where they have absolutely no reason to be in uniform, but are anyway, chances are good they're doing it for attention. I have far too much respect for the uniform to tolerate someone using it as a cheap tool for selfish reasons.

To get back to the subject at hand, a formal dinner aboard a cruise ship is certainly a situation where a dress uniform would be appropriate. I didn't make the comment that I did until several people suggested wearing it because it'd get him a lot of attention. That's the only reason I said it, because it's something I feel so strongly about. I've said enough about it, there's no need for me to continue.

You are making a lot of assumptions there. You assume this happens a lot while the rest of us don’t see it at all. You assume regs have not changed without any data. 

No one suggested he wear it “because it’d get him a lot of attention”. People stated he should be prepared for attention (positive attention) if he wore it. Big difference. 

Thank you for your service but you need to lighten up and lose the judgement.

12 hours ago, Orlandocruisers said:

Wear it with pride! Thank you for your service. My son was killed while serving in the Navy. Wear it for your brothers and sisters who were proud to serve.

We are proud of our military and proud Americans🇺🇸

I'm sorry for your loss. 😞

14 hours ago, Orlandocruisers said:

Wear it with pride! Thank you for your service. My son was killed while serving in the Navy. Wear it for your brothers and sisters who were proud to serve.

We are proud of our military and proud Americans🇺🇸

Words cannot begin to express how sorry I am for your loss. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:27 AM, Melissa623 said:

Hey everyone, my son, who is 24, and I will be sailing on the Conquest December 14th and he is trying to figure out what to wear for the two Elegant Night dinners. One of NCO's told him he should just wear his Army Dress Blues since he doesn't own a suit other than that one and not to waste the money to buy one. At 6'8 there really isn't such a thing as a cheap suit lol. However, he's worried he will strange or stick out if he wears it. For those of you have cruised a bit or are/were in the Army, or any branch of the military, what are your thoughts on him wearing his Dress Blues? Have you ever really noticed anyone in their military dress uniform? Thank you in advance for your thoughts. 

He will stick out alright, as a hero. Thanks be to him and all that have served.

• Thanks 1

Tell your son to wear the uniform with pride.  Although the ship may be foreign flagged, the passengers with be primarily US citizens, sailing from and to a US port.  And please, thank him for his service for me.  And thank you for raising a young man who serves.

From a former Air Force officer (11 years active duty).

• Thanks 1