Taking a "scootered" friend on a cruise-Help!

12 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Is your friend picking her rental scooter up in the terminal or having it delivered to the cabin?  I rent from Scootaround and pick my scooter up in the terminal.  I then drive off the ship and return the scooter to the terminal.  Always get a porter and tip extra to have him take my luggage to shuttle back to parking.  Usually am off ship and out to shuttle in about 10 minutes.  I ask room steward for lowest number luggage tag so I can get off as soon as those who self disembark are off.  Very important to get to staging area for wheelchairs/scooters very early to get name on list.  They seem to follow the list and no matter how much you beg will not deviate.  I have tried and failed to get name on list thru Guest Services.

which port is this at. We cruised from Fort Lauderdale, the scooter was in our cabin when we arrived and we were instructed to leave the scooter in the cabin at the end of the cruise. I have read that at some ports the scooter is in the terminal upon arrival.

My wife had foot surgery and was on a scooter for a cruise. She had a much easier time getting on / off elevators when I was pro-active and acted as a traffic cop. I'd say, "appreciate it if yall would let my wife get on this next one" when it was our turn in line. Or I'd block the door and made it clear I was directing her on and folks usually got the idea. An occasional, excuse me, please let her on/off helped. I admit that my being on the larger side may have helped the situation a bit. .        

15 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

which port is this at. We cruised from Fort Lauderdale, the scooter was in our cabin when we arrived and we were instructed to leave the scooter in the cabin at the end of the cruise. I have read that at some ports the scooter is in the terminal upon arrival.

Port Canaveral.  Also, it costs less if you pick it up and return it to terminal.  I need it to get on ship so this was perfect for me.

13 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Port Canaveral.  Also, it costs less if you pick it up and return it to terminal.  I need it to get on ship so this was perfect for me.

when we cruised I don't think there was an option as to where we could get the scooter. Was not an issue as we had help both getting on and off the ship. 

Thanks for the information - I am coming off a broken foot and while I will be able to walk with a cane, it's a big ship so I rented a scooter to be delivered to my room.  I appreciate the tips.

Question: when did they start requiring scooters to be in the cabin? It's been a full year since our last cruise, and people left them in the hallway outside their cabins all the time.

2 hours ago, flamingos said:

Question: when did they start requiring scooters to be in the cabin? It's been a full year since our last cruise, and people left them in the hallway outside their cabins all the time.

It has always been a requirement that scooters should be in your cabin and not left in the hallway.

There is a rule stating that scooters should be in your cabin and not left in the hallway. I'm sorry I can not think of the name but I'm sure some other poster will know. 

5 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

It has always been a requirement that scooters should be in your cabin and not left in the hallway.

There is a rule stating that scooters should be in your cabin and not left in the hallway. I'm sorry I can not think of the name but I'm sure some other poster will know. 

The rule has been posted numerous times here on CC.  It is a safety issue.  In addition, if a scooter is parked in hallway others in wheelchairs or on scooters would have difficulty navigating the narrow hallways.  I have known of this rule for at least 10 years.

10 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

As per their website. Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation. When parked throughout the ship, they must be parked out of the way to allow safe and easy access by other guests and crewmembers.https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/mobility-disabilities

5 hours ago, Snit13 said:

The rule has been posted numerous times here on CC.  It is a safety issue.  In addition, if a scooter is parked in hallway others in wheelchairs or on scooters would have difficulty navigating the narrow hallways.  I have known of this rule for at least 10 years.

55 minutes ago, charmy98 said:

As per their website. Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation. When parked throughout the ship, they must be parked out of the way to allow safe and easy access by other guests and crewmembers.https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/mobility-disabilities

Thank you for pointing out something I ready knew.

If you reread my post (post #34) I was answering flamingos's question, which was 'Question: when did they start requiring scooters to be in the cabin? It's been a full year since our last cruise, and people left them in the hallway outside their cabins all the time.'

14 hours ago, flamingos said:

Thanks for the information - I am coming off a broken foot and while I will be able to walk with a cane, it's a big ship so I rented a scooter to be delivered to my room.  I appreciate the tips.

In my post I quite clearly state that 'It has always been a requirement that scooters should be in your cabin and not left in the hallway.' and 'There is a rule stating that scooters should be in your cabin and not left in the hallway.'

11 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

I just could not remember SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) at the time of posting my post.

1 hour ago, Bloodgem said:

Thank you for pointing out something I ready knew.

If you reread my post (post #34) I was answering flamingos's question, which was 'Question: when did they start requiring scooters to be in the cabin? It's been a full year since our last cruise, and people left them in the hallway outside their cabins all the time.'

In my post I quite clearly state that 'It has always been a requirement that scooters should be in your cabin and not left in the hallway.' and 'There is a rule stating that scooters should be in your cabin and not left in the hallway.'

I just could not remember SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) at the time of posting my post.

WOW are you always so friendly.  Excuse me for breathing. But I actually put the link there for anyone to look up RCCL rules too. 😶  

Thanks - but this is not what I have seen on board, particularly on our transatlantic on the Serenade in spring 2018. Scooters were parked in the hallway at all hours of the day, and at night, rental scooters were left in the hallway.  Unless something has changed, it's not a rule that is enforced equally across the board.  I'll let you know my experience with it.

Just of Mariner and scooters were in Boleros for Muster. It did get crowded so we went early to ensure having a place to sit for the care giver. Scooters were kind of lined up on the small dance floor. When we got to Boleros my wife went to the Muster Station to sign us in. They also had a Muster Crew Member going around Boleros scanning folks SeaPass cards for those who did not check in at their Muster Station. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, charmy98 said:

WOW are you always so friendly.  Excuse me for breathing. But I actually put the link there for anyone to look up RCCL rules too. 😶  

I apologise 😏, but after reading Snit13 post (post #35) I felt as if I was being lectured to just because I could not remember SOLAS. Your post just added to the feeling of being lectured too.