Travel Insurance

LynnTTT

We are getting quotes for our world cruise in January.  We have to pay the final payment by October 5. Now we are in shock over the premium/quote we have received from AAA and they are usually pretty reasonable.  The price is almost 14% of the cost of the cruise and airfare alone!! We didn't even add in the cost of a few hotel nights and any pre-paid excursions that might not be refundable.

I did research a few online providers, but few will cover you for a single trip that is more than 90 days.  I found that when we were trying to get an annual policy.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

11 minutes ago, LynnTTT said:

We are getting quotes for our world cruise in January.  We have to pay the final payment by October 5. Now we are in shock over the premium/quote we have received from AAA and they are usually pretty reasonable.  The price is almost 14% of the cost of the cruise and airfare alone!! We didn't even add in the cost of a few hotel nights and any pre-paid excursions that might not be refundable.

I did research a few online providers, but few will cover you for a single trip that is more than 90 days.  I found that when we were trying to get an annual policy.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

Are you asking about trip cancellation insurance? Or medical insurance?  My trip cancellation insurance for the Regent Seven Seas 2020 world cruise was a total of about 5.6% of the cruise cost, spread between two policies (Travelex and TravelGuard).  The policies also include sufficient medical coverage (up to $500,000 for medical evacuation, $50,000 medical expenses), and Regent includes free onboard medical for world cruisers, so I think I’m set.  I use TripInsuranceStore.com — very helpful in putting together an individualized plan.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

17 hours ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

Are you asking about trip cancellation insurance? Or medical insurance?  My trip cancellation insurance for the Regent Seven Seas 2020 world cruise was a total of about 5.6% of the cruise cost, spread between two policies (Travelex and TravelGuard).  The policies also include sufficient medical coverage (up to $500,000 for medical evacuation, $50,000 medical expenses), and Regent includes free onboard medical for world cruisers, so I think I’m set.  I use TripInsuranceStore.com — very helpful in putting together an individualized plan.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

We have gotten a few quotes thru InsureMyTrip.  They are a little lower than AAA and now we just have to decide on one. I'm not so concerned about trip cancellation; I just want to have enough to pay a hospital bill out of the country and evacuate me in the event of a true emergency.  

Getting excited; seemed eons away when we booked it and now it's almost here!!

• 2 weeks later...

We booked our next WC about 20 months before departure, with final payment due 6 months before departure. No local broker or on-line broker would accept the risk for cancellation or interruption that far in advance and for the amount of dollars involved.

The cruise line was our only option, at about 6% of the fare. It was both cancellation/interruption & medical/evacuation, although the medical limits are low. We will take out supplemental medical insurance before departure. 

We bought the insurance a week or so ago, and the final payment was just paid.  We chose a limit that just includes cruise + air + hotels. The price was about 8% of the policy limit.  We used InsureMyTrip for comparisons and choose the cheapest but most comprehensive plan.  Can't wait

I would suggest adding Medjet insurance to the policy you already have. Relatively inexpensive and cover the need of emergency medical evaluation from anywhere to the hospital of your choice. Cost is several hundred dollars per person.