What happens if someone doesn't show for a cruise?

Eli_6

So, we have four cabins for Christmas booked. I am paying for them all. Two are paid for through cruise credits.

One of the cruise credits was used on my nanny, but we may have to let her go before the cruise. (Cruise was originally on Vista last July but they dry docked her and that's how we ended up with the cruise credit.) I suspect she won't come if we let her go even though she would still be welcome to come.  (She simply isn't reliable and  I have to have someone who isn't failing to show up to work at least once a week.)

There's no reason for me to try to put someone else in her spot because I would lose that cruise credit if I did.  So what happens if she simply doesn't show up for the cruise? Does the person rooming with her just get a room by themselves?

22 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

So, we have four cabins for Christmas booked. I am paying for them all. Two are paid for through cruise credits.

One of the cruise credits was used on my nanny, but we may have to let her go before the cruise. (Cruise was originally on Vista last July but they dry docked her and that's how we ended up with the cruise credit.) I suspect she won't come if we let her go even though she would still be welcome to come.  (She simply isn't reliable and  I have to have someone who isn't failing to show up to work at least once a week.)

There's no reason for me to try to put someone else in her spot because I would lose that cruise credit if I did.  So what happens if she simply doesn't show up for the cruise? Does the person rooming with her just get a room by themselves?

If she is a "no-show", the other person would get the cabin to themselves. The port charges / taxes associated with the no-show would be refunded.  The actual cruise fare is forfeited.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, April42749 said:

If the other person is an adult there would be no problem.  I have a feeling that it's a child.  Since the child can't stay alone another adult would have to be there (technically).

Good point .

If it is a child there is plenty of time to find an adult and do a name change on that cabin.

59 minutes ago, April42749 said:

If the other person is an adult there would be no problem.  I have a feeling that it's a child.  Since the child can't stay alone another adult would have to be there (technically).

I thought kids could stay in a room adjacent to an adult.  It doesn't matter in actuality because probably just no one would end up staying in the rooms.  There are three adjacent rooms.

I can't just do a name change because the cruise credit is associated with her name even though we paid for the original cruise.  

I suppose I could just switch around the rooms but I am sure Carnival will charge me for that.

How old is the child?  The problem may be getting the child on board if the adult doesn't sign in at the same time.  Once you're on board you can move people around.

You can ask Carnival but I don't think I'd trust the representative.  It sounds like an "embarkation issue" as opposed to a "no show" issue.

Kids 12 & under can be by themselves as long as they're next door or directly across the hall, and as long as they're not in a balcony. Ages 13-17 can be separated by up to three cabins.

A no-show would result in what loanshark said earlier. A refund of taxes & port fees and the cruise fare is forfeited.

Since it came from a credit, I don't know what your options would be as far as substituting someone else in her place. I must say, you're awfully generous to let her still go if she wants to. You can call them and request a PVP if you don't have one. They're more knowledgeable than the customer service reps.

50 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Kids 12 & under can be by themselves as long as they're next door or directly across the hall, and as long as they're not in a balcony. Ages 13-17 can be separated by up to three cabins.

A no-show would result in what loanshark said earlier. A refund of taxes & port fees and the cruise fare is forfeited.

Since it came from a credit, I don't know what your options would be as far as substituting someone else in her place. I must say, you're awfully generous to let her still go if she wants to. You can call them and request a PVP if you don't have one. They're more knowledgeable than the customer service reps.

Thanks for the info.  The child is next door so sounds like we will be ok.  He won't actually stay there, but on the booking.

I have a similar situation except my 3rd person is my daughter whom is not going. I tried to cancel her but they want me to change cabins and I'm not doing that. Will they refund me her gratuities I prepay as well or should I just not pay any gratuities ahead and just go to guest services and add them for the 2 of us going once on ship?

19 hours ago, ccd228 said:

I have a similar situation except my 3rd person is my daughter whom is not going. I tried to cancel her but they want me to change cabins and I'm not doing that. Will they refund me her gratuities I prepay as well or should I just not pay any gratuities ahead and just go to guest services and add them for the 2 of us going once on ship?

They will add the gratuities to your bill automatically if you do not prepay.  The gratuities associated with a no-show will not be added (or if they are, you will see a credit on your sign and sail account for the same amount).

1 hour ago, loanshark said:

They will add the gratuities to your bill automatically if you do not prepay.  The gratuities associated with a no-show will not be added (or if they are, you will see a credit on your sign and sail account for the same amount).

But if you pre-pay the gratuities ahead of time, and then cancel (or no-show), they're refunded back to the original payment method, right?

4 hours ago, ccd228 said:

I've always prepaid so I never knew they would add automatically once on board. That makes sense now when I've read post about long lines at the desk last night cause people remove their gratuities. 

That's the narrative some people like to push. Yes, people do it, but the fact of the matter is, there's a number of reasons as to why people go to Guest Services on the last night. The people who repeatedly claim that they're all there pulling tips don't truly know why anyone's there. They'll always say, "Oh I've heard them." What do they do, stand there eavesdropping on everyone's conversation when they get to the counter? Unless Carnival wants to release the statistics showing how many people, on average, pull their tips, I'm betting it's a lot less than people here make it out to be. And as for people who do pull their tips, it's not fair to assume they're all jerks. We don't know what kind of experience they had. Maybe they truly did have bad service, and maybe they're just reducing the tips because of it and not removing them entirely. Whether someone removes their tips, reduces their tips, or tips extra, that's their business.

• 1 year later...

We are 2 weeks away from our sailing and one of our roommates is still deciding if she wants to go with all the covid going on and i was wondering how her prepaid gratuiities would be handled?  I know she would forfeit her cruiserate if she is a no show but not sure how her taxes and fees or prepaid gratuities?

On 9/18/2019 at 6:49 PM, Organized Chaos said:

We were told the opposite.  We have 2 adults 2 kids in our family.  The two kids are 14 and 12. We have always had adjoining rooms. Every cruise they make us put one adult and one child in each room.  But once on board,  my husband and I sleep in one room and the boys in the other.  We are always told that an adult has to be booked with an child. 

On 9/20/2019 at 11:21 PM, Organized Chaos said:

That's the narrative some people like to push. Yes, people do it, but the fact of the matter is, there's a number of reasons as to why people go to Guest Services on the last night. The people who repeatedly claim that they're all there pulling tips don't truly know why anyone's there. They'll always say, "Oh I've heard them." What do they do, stand there eavesdropping on everyone's conversation when they get to the counter? Unless Carnival wants to release the statistics showing how many people, on average, pull their tips, I'm betting it's a lot less than people here make it out to be. And as for people who do pull their tips, it's not fair to assume they're all jerks. We don't know what kind of experience they had. Maybe they truly did have bad service, and maybe they're just reducing the tips because of it and not removing them entirely. Whether someone removes their tips, reduces their tips, or tips extra, that's their business.

well i would have to disagree not all are there to remove tips but on 2 separate cruise i was walking guest services. on group said to another you can go and remove your tips if you want.they said for real and got in line so yes i was bored and being nosey i stood around and sure enough the 9 of the 10 different groups or people that went up there when i was there were removing them so thats the way it goes sometimes 

37 minutes ago, DAVLIB007 said:

well i would have to disagree not all are there to remove tips but on 2 separate cruise i was walking guest services. on group said to another you can go and remove your tips if you want.they said for real and got in line so yes i was bored and being nosey i stood around and sure enough the 9 of the 10 different groups or people that went up there when i was there were removing them so thats the way it goes sometimes 

Just because they're removing their tips doesn't automatically make then jerks either. We like to give cash tips throughout the cruise. 

20 hours ago, KattyPoo said:

We are 2 weeks away from our sailing and one of our roommates is still deciding if she wants to go with all the covid going on and i was wondering how her prepaid gratuiities would be handled?  I know she would forfeit her cruiserate if she is a no show but not sure how her taxes and fees or prepaid gratuities?

Holy revived 2 year old thread Batman! 

Seriously though, if you notify them she’s not coming, they’ll refund T&G prior to sailing, You can do this on board also. 

Edited by Brkintx

1 hour ago, grumpyjr88 said:

Just because they're removing their tips doesn't automatically make then jerks either. We like to give cash tips throughout the cruise. 

No way you can tip all the workers that make your cruise what it is by doing cash tips. 

• Like 1