Pirate Ship Bar

Cruisin MarcnFran

13 hours ago, Cruisin MarcnFran said:

I think I just watched the bow of the bar float away. This was at the Dockyard. I was watching the hurricane on the webcam.

Oy. 😫

There won’t  be official reports of damage to Bermuda for a few hours. I expect some stuff like that but hopefully nothing really serious. Like a ferry being damaged which has happened in the past. 

I just read The Causeway is open to traffic which is a good sign. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I just read The Causeway is open to traffic which is a good sign. 

Apparently it's not open to the public yet. Everything I see on bernews.com and royalgazette.com says the causeway is still closed to the public, and on bernews there was a statement by the minister of national security that while the assessment of the causeway has been completed and given the all clear it is only open at this time to emergency vehicles and crews.

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Apparently it's not open to the public yet. Everything I see on bernews.com and royalgazette.com says the causeway is still closed to the public, and on bernews there was a statement by the minister of national security that while the assessment of the causeway has been completed and given the all clear it is only open at this time to emergency vehicles and crews.

Causeway and airport are now open. Ferries will resume service tomorrow. Decision on bus service to be made later today. Government offices will be open tomorrow. Schools will still be closed tomorrow. BELCO working on restoring electricity...it will no doubt take a few days for everyone to get theirs back.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Causeway and airport are now open. Ferries will resume service tomorrow. Decision on bus service to be made later today. Government offices will be open tomorrow. Schools will still be closed tomorrow. BELCO working on restoring electricity...it will no doubt take a few days for everyone to get theirs back.

Carnival Sunrise was reschedualed to call on Friday but that has been canceled and she is going back to New York. I would guess the port canceled it. They have cleanup to do at the Dockyard.

50 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Carnival Sunrise was reschedualed to call on Friday but that has been canceled and she is going back to New York. I would guess the port canceled it. They have cleanup to do at the Dockyard.

The only obvious damage I could see was that the majority of the light fixtures at Kings Wharf and Heritage Wharf were blown off the light poles they sat on top of. Of course there could be lots of other things I can't see.

On 9/18/2019 at 6:26 PM, Cruisin MarcnFran said:

I think I just watched the bow of the bar float away. This was at the Dockyard. I was watching the hurricane on the webcam.

They posted on their Facebook page yesterday (at 4:30AM) that due to the hurricane they were moving to their mooring until further notice.  Hopefully all's well.  And I hope they're back when I get there in a few weeks!

8 hours ago, TenForward said:

They posted on their Facebook page yesterday (at 4:30AM) that due to the hurricane they were moving to their mooring until further notice.  Hopefully all's well.  And I hope they're back when I get there in a few weeks!

They had a small auxiliary building on the dock. Maybe that is what blew away. 

On 9/19/2019 at 4:05 PM, Charles4515 said:

I was on that cruise and the water was too rough to maintain speed to give us any time at Bermuda on Friday.  Possibly the port canceled too, but we were told the captain made the decision.

58 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I was on that cruise and the water was too rough to maintain speed to give us any time at Bermuda on Friday.  Possibly the port canceled too, but we were told the captain made the decision.

If they told you that I believe that it was the Captain who decided. Also very rough seas would have been unpleasant for passengers. 

3 hours ago, Cruisin MarcnFran said:

Well the bar is back in place. Now it will be a mystery as to what I saw wash away. I didn’t think to take a screen shot. So now it’s like a UFO sighting.

What you saw may have been the supplemental hut on the dock. It was painted in the same color scheme as the ship. Also I think the ship is a barge with the structure added on so if part of that structure on the barge was what you saw they could have built another bar structure. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

What you saw may have been the supplemental hut on the dock. It was painted in the same color scheme as the ship. Also I think the ship is a barge with the structure added on so if part of that structure on the barge was what you saw they could have built another bar structure. 

Thanx for believing me. 

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Also I think the ship is a barge with the structure added on

When it first opened for business I recall reading that it's a former ferry.

Edit: Per gotobermuda.com, the official Bermuda tourism website, my recollection is accuate:

https://www.gotobermuda.com/profile/calico-jacks/3087

"Venture aboard Bermuda’s only floating bar for a lively pirate-themed party, day or night. A former ferry boat that has been transformed to resemble a pirate ship,"

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

So I have read that it was their souvenir shop that was destroyed. That was in a hut on the dock. That is what you saw blow away. The pirate boat itself had been moved from the dock for the storm and was not damaged. 

Yes..I just returned from there. I saw the boat in it’s place in the water. I know I saw something getting washed away.