Boston shuttle from pier to Quincy Market

crusinbanjo

Mrs Banjo and I live near Boston and usually depart or end a New England cruise in Boston, but this time we are continuing on to Ft Lauderdale.  So, my question is, does HAL provide a shuttle service from the pier to downtown?  If we need to taxi, or Uber, it’s not a big deal but a shuttle would be easier.  Thanks in advance 

They offer a 2 1/2 hour tour after disembarkation from the Canada/New England cruise, which goes to the airport afterwards.  I doubt they offer a shuttle, however.  I've never heard of them offering this service at any embark/disembark port, other than transfers from and to an airport.  You may need to take a taxi.

I haven't had Boston as a port stop in several years, but the times I did have it, there was a free shuttle to Quincy Market. I don't know if HAL still runs it, though.
It was handy! We were let off on a street behind the South Market, and just had to walk up the alley to get to the action. 

I do not recall any shuttle (free or paid).  But the "Banjo's" do have a few good options.  Those that consider themselves walkers can actually walk from the port to Quincy market (about a 40 min walk).  But we realize that most HAL cruisers do not routinely take those multi-mile "strolls."  Somebody mentioned the Hop on Hop off and that is certainly an option you can get from the port.  Public transportation is quite good.  One can walk about a block from the pier to the nearest bus stop and take the bus over to South Street Station.  That gives you access to Boston's excellent "T" which you can take to the Quincy Market area.  On our cruises from "Black Falcon"  (we cannot get ourselves to use the new name) there has always been good local information in the cruise terminal including maps, public transit info, and some local "experts" who can answer questions,  Just beware of the local police.  They are friendly and generally have an excellent sense of humor.  But they often do not have a clue as to using public transit (one cop told me he had not been on the "T" in over 20 years).

Hank

On 9/18/2019 at 6:39 PM, crusinbanjo said:

Mrs Banjo and I live near Boston and usually depart or end a New England cruise in Boston, but this time we are continuing on to Ft Lauderdale.  So, my question is, does HAL provide a shuttle service from the pier to downtown?  If we need to taxi, or Uber, it’s not a big deal but a shuttle would be easier.  Thanks in advance 

There are usually many taxis lined up outside the terminal when a ship is in   On a Saturday, it is about a 8-10  minute ride  depending if you  'make the lights.'

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sail7seas said:

There are usually many taxis lined up outside the terminal when a ship is in   On a Saturday, it is about a 8-10  minute ride  depending if you  'make the lights.'

Thats what I was telling Mrs Banjo the other day, 10 Mins from Quincy Market to the pier, But HAL says on there website to allow 30 minutes travel time..... I told her that is just standard wording.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:39 PM, sail7seas said:

MANY people who have no mobility issues  can walk  from c ruise terminal to  Quincy Market in  15-20 minutes

Easy walk.

VERy fast easy  ( low cost)  taxi ride

I was in the terminal twice this  year and there were lots of  taxis out front, same as usually,

On 9/20/2019 at 7:53 AM, crusinbanjo said:

Thats what I was telling Mrs Banjo the other day, 10 Mins from Quincy Market to the pier, But HAL says on there website to allow 30 minutes travel time..... I told her that is just standard wording.

Ridiculous. 

NO WAY 30 minutes,,    🙂

On 9/19/2019 at 3:57 AM, caribill said:

Last time we ported in Boston we used the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority bus that is right near the cruise terminal.

MBTA is called   the "T"  in Boston.

47 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

MBTA is called   the "T"  in Boston.

Take a taxi or the T.

47 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Edited by sail7seas