Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW

Host Bonjour

Does Mallorca get a lot of rain in May.. The reason I am asking is that I am interested in booking a Formula One tour and it could be cancelled due to rain and they will only give a rain check good for a year.  Given that I am a day tripper from a cruise and most likely not going to return in a year, I am trying to hedge my bets.  I also put this in another and have not received a response.  Sorry for the duplicate questions. 

Edited by bedfordmom

1 hour ago, bedfordmom said:

Does Mallorca get a lot of rain in May.. The reason I am asking is that I am interested in booking a Formula One tour and it could be cancelled due to rain and they will only give a rain check good for a year.  Given that I am a day tripper from a cruise and most likely not going to return in a year, I am trying to hedge my bets.  I also put this in another and have not received a response.  Sorry for the duplicate questions. 

No Very little rain in May, But since I cannot see that far into the future I cannot give a guarantee that it won't rain on the day.  

4 minutes ago, roger b said:

No Very little rain in May, But since I cannot see that far into the future I cannot give a guarantee that it won't rain on the day.  

That is very helpful, of course its impossible to see in the future.  Maybe I will take my chance and book it. It sounds like an amazing experience. 

On 1/26/2020 at 3:05 AM, roger b said:

No Entrance fee  All the information is below have a great day !!!

https://www.seemallorca.com/beaches/illetas-beach-palma-de-mallorca-illetes-(beach-resort)-664304

Thanks for all the info, Roger.  I think we are just going to do a beach day in Palma since we are only in port from 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm.  Do you recommend one of the beach clubs over the others for a family with 2 older teen boys?  Thanks!

14 minutes ago, bedfordmom said:

Hi all

a couple of posts are referring to our stop on Palma as  1 to 8, my itinerary says Ibiza 12 to 8pm and Palma Majorca as 8 to 5, can someone clarify please.

Not sure what you are asking.  How can someone else clarify your itinerary?  All ship's itineraries are different.

Edited by LessWorkMoreTravel
clarification

2 hours ago, LessWorkMoreTravel said:

Thanks for all the info, Roger.  I think we are just going to do a beach day in Palma since we are only in port from 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm.  Do you recommend one of the beach clubs over the others for a family with 2 older teen boys?  Thanks!

Hi, There are two beach clubs in Illetas and  one is very expensive , I would go with the one below :

https://balnearioilletas.com/

This is the expensive one not really for kids 

https://www.purobeach.com/en/beach-club-illetas/

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I'm not finding many threads recommending hotels in Palma.

We need a hotel for one night post cruise before our return flight. (3/4*)

We would like it to be near the airport, near the beach and with pool. - Got to make the best of it! 😎😉

TIA

15 minutes ago, svnet said:

Hello everyone!

I'm not finding many threads recommending hotels in Palma.

We need a hotel for one night post cruise before our return flight. (3/4*)

We would like it to be near the airport, near the beach and with pool. - Got to make the best of it! 😎😉

TIA

This is not an easy choice for you as I have not stayed in this hotel, But it is brand new and part of the Melia group of hotels .

It is within 5 mins of the airport and also which I consider more important it within walking distance of the old town,which is well worth spending your evening there to eat. It is 4 star and at a reasonable cost 

https://www.melia.com/en/hotels/spain/majorca/melia-palma-bay/index.htm

1 hour ago, roger b said:

This is not an easy choice for you as I have not stayed in this hotel, But it is brand new and part of the Melia group of hotels .

It is within 5 mins of the airport and also which I consider more important it within walking distance of the old town,which is well worth spending your evening there to eat. It is 4 star and at a reasonable cost 

Did not come out for some reason !!

Hello,

I am also planning to be in Palma on Allure. Does anyone know how to catch the RCCL shuttle to town? Do we need to buy tickets on the ship, or just pay as we board?

After seeing the town, I would like to go to a beach. I am concerned about Illetas, as it is 11 km away, and it may be difficult to get a taxi back. Does anyone know if there are taxis waiting at the beach? Also, I recall reading above that the price is 10-15 euro for the taxi, but that seems low for 11 km - is that price correct for the entire ride for 2 people? 

Lastly, it looks like we need to reserve sunbeds in advance online. Are there any beaches we can just lie on towels, or do we need to reserve the loungers in advance?

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 3:09 PM, bedfordmom said:

You will be there only for a day and it might rain on that specific day is you are not lucky enough but I am sure they will refund you the money!!

24 minutes ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

Hello,

I am also planning to be in Palma on Allure. Does anyone know how to catch the RCCL shuttle to town? Do we need to buy tickets on the ship, or just pay as we board?

After seeing the town, I would like to go to a beach. I am concerned about Illetas, as it is 11 km away, and it may be difficult to get a taxi back. Does anyone know if there are taxis waiting at the beach? Also, I recall reading above that the price is 10-15 euro for the taxi, but that seems low for 11 km - is that price correct for the entire ride for 2 people? 

Lastly, it looks like we need to reserve sunbeds in advance online. Are there any beaches we can just lie on towels, or do we need to reserve the loungers in advance?

Thanks.

Firstly the shuttle to the town will be on the quay as you get off the ship ,not sure if RCCL will charge or not.

Illetas beach is a short ride away  from the town should be 15/20 euros you do not need to book a sun bed and you can sit anywhere  on any Spanish beach , there are rocky part of the beach where you can lay out on a towel.

If you walk to the right  of the Beach club you will come to a less crowded  beach where there is plenty of places  to lay out.

No worries getting back to the ship jump on number 4 bus 2 Euros  it stops outside  the entrance  to the beach get off at Porto Pi  or get the taxi .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roger b said:

you do not need to book a sun bed and you can sit anywhere  on any Spanish beach

Thanks! I heard there is a a beach Anima Beach Palma very close to the city center, walkable from the cathedral (or very short taxi). I believe the price was 35 Euro for a lounger and the security team were not a pleasant bunch. Do you know if this is a private beach? We don't plan on staying long at the beach, maybe 15 mins or so to cool off, so this would be ideal if we would not need to rent a chair and take a quick swim. Do you have any info on this beach?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

Thanks! I heard there is a a beach Anima Beach Palma very close to the city center, walkable from the cathedral (or very short taxi). I believe the price was 35 Euro for a lounger and the security team were not a pleasant bunch. Do you know if this is a private beach? We don't plan on staying long at the beach, maybe 15 mins or so to cool off, so this would be ideal if we would not need to rent a chair and take a quick swim. Do you have any info on this beach?

I do not advise this beach bar although  not far from the cathedral  it not attractively situated  on a thin strip of beach  and will be expensive,  if you don't want to go as far as Illetas beach  check out  the beach at Cala Mayor  it has all the facilities,  and is not fat ftom the  port if you catch No 4 bus from the centre of town you could walk back to the port  in about 20 mins.

Roger,

Someone asked a question about what to do when visiting Palma when our ship arrives on 4/29 for 4-11. You had mentioned going to a restaurant. Do you know of any vegetarian friendly places? Also will the shops be open to stroll around? Will we be taking a taxi into town?

Thank you for your suggestions in advance

Kathy

15 minutes ago, Montanagirlalways said:

Roger,

Someone asked a question about what to do when visiting Palma when our ship arrives on 4/29 for 4-11. You had mentioned going to a restaurant. Do you know of any vegetarian friendly places? Also will the shops be open to stroll around? Will we be taking a taxi into town?

Thank you for your suggestions in advance

Kathy

Hi , I have heard good reports about  Vegan Bon Loc look on the internet for vegetarian  restaurants in Palma , it is in the center and a stone's throw from the  cathedral , the shops are open until 8pm .

• Like 1

We're arrving on the Allure in July, and after a long day the previous day travelling and a few long days in port later on in the holiday we've decided to have a few hours at the beach. I stayed in Palma Nova 20 years ago and enjoyed it so thought we'd try there.

As we dock at 8am we're hoping to be off by about 9.30 am. I believe a taxi round trip would be 40euros, but was thinking to save a bit of cash maybe to get the bus there and taxi back. I've had a check and it looks like it would cost 9euros (3 people) to Palma Nova. What I'm not sure of is how long it would take on the bus. Or would it just be easier to get a taxi both ways. If taxi, then do they come in to the port or do you have to go outside to get one? Also coming back, if I want to be back about 2pm would leaving Palma Nova about 1.30pm be ok. It will be a Monday so I presume the traffic at that time of day wouldn't be too busy.

Finally, from where the ships dock is it walkable to the port entrance or are shuttle buses provided?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Albert_Park said:

We're arrving on the Allure in July, and after a long day the previous day travelling and a few long days in port later on in the holiday we've decided to have a few hours at the beach. I stayed in Palma Nova 20 years ago and enjoyed it so thought we'd try there.

As we dock at 8am we're hoping to be off by about 9.30 am. I believe a taxi round trip would be 40euros, but was thinking to save a bit of cash maybe to get the bus there and taxi back. I've had a check and it looks like it would cost 9euros (3 people) to Palma Nova. What I'm not sure of is how long it would take on the bus. Or would it just be easier to get a taxi both ways. If taxi, then do they come in to the port or do you have to go outside to get one? Also coming back, if I want to be back about 2pm would leaving Palma Nova about 1.30pm be ok. It will be a Monday so I presume the traffic at that time of day wouldn't be too busy.

Finally, from where the ships dock is it walkable to the port entrance or are shuttle buses provided?

Thanks

Ok , the taxis  are right on the dock as yòu leave the ship, as it is one of the bigger ships it probably  will dock at the new cruise terminal , the shuttle  bus will only take you to the town .

It is a long walk to get the bus to Palma Nova personally  I  would get a taxi there and back it will bring you back to the gang plank.

I the ship does dock at the Estaion Maritimo you will have the option to catch the bus a short walk to the bus stop.

10 hours ago, roger b said:

Ok , the taxis  are right on the dock as yòu leave the ship, as it is one of the bigger ships it probably  will dock at the new cruise terminal , the shuttle  bus will only take you to the town .

It is a long walk to get the bus to Palma Nova personally  I  would get a taxi there and back it will bring you back to the gang plank.

I the ship does dock at the Estaion Maritimo you will have the option to catch the bus a short walk to the bus stop.

Thanks for that. This is one more excursion I can tick off as planned 😄

44 minutes ago, SKSMIKE5 said:

We will be in Palma de Mallorca in Nov 2020 and on a Monday. I was looking at the Hop-on-Hop-off bus information and am trying to be sure the bus runs on Mondays in November. Maybe Roger can verify for me. Thanks! 

The hop on bus runs all year every day , they will be less frequent  in November but will step up on the day of a cruise ship arrival.