Weather Reroute Questions

Brina424

Hi, 

I posted in the hurricane section but then realized that might be more to discuss the actual storm and I should probably post here. We are scheduled to leave NJ the day after tmrw (Sat 9/21) for a 5 night trip to Bermuda on Anthem (Bermuda Monday and leave Tuesday). Jerry looks like it's headed straight for Bermuda just around the time we are getting there. This is our 6th cruise and we have never experienced a weather issue. Decided to bring the grandparents along this time to show them how awesome cruising is. Can someone with more experience please tell me what you think might happen with my trip? I personally just love the ship and would literally be happy to just sit on it in the harbor 😂. I'm wondering how conservative Royal Caribbean is with their decisions, how much notice they give for an itinerary change, where we might go. Just looking for best guesses from those of you who have been around the block. I'm very very anxious about this! Thanks. ☺ 

A five day sailing leaving from Cape Liberty is tough because you really don’t have the time to cruise any further south. At 11:00AM EDT, Thursday, September 19th, 2019 the storm was just upgraded to a Category 1 Hurricane. Since the cone of the hurricanes path is extremely wide when it changes direction and heads northeast further out into the Atlantic Ocean the hurricane can either head directly towards Bermuda or pass either north or south of it. I don’t think Royal Caribbean will make any changes unless the storm changes direction now and heads directly towards Bermuda. The worse case scenario for the Anthem Of The Seas is a five day cruise to nowhere. I would go with the mindset that you will still visit Bermuda on this sailing.

Edited by Corby114
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Corby114 said:

A five day sailing leaving from Cape Liberty is tough because you really don’t have the time to cruise any further south. At 11:00AM EDT, Thursday, September 19th, 2019 the storm was just upgraded to a Category 1 Hurricane. Since the cone of the hurricanes path is extremely wide when it changes direction and heads northeast further out into the Atlantic Ocean the hurricane can either head directly towards Bermuda or pass either north or south of it. I don’t think Royal Caribbean will make any changes unless the storm changes direction now and heads directly towards Bermuda. The worse case scenario for the Anthem Of The Seas is a five day cruise to nowhere. I would go with the mindset that you will still visit Bermuda on this sailing.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Does a cruise to nowhere stay close to the shore? At this point I'm so nervous I'll be happy to just sail around jersey! It's so hard to coordinate schedules. I'm so excited to spend the time with my family. Jerry is kinda killing my vibe! 

It depends.

I know last year or the year before, Grandeur sailed out of Baltimore, ran up the coast and ported at Cape Liberty for instead of going to Bermuda.

They could also go north to Boston or Maine.

• Like 1

The ship will stay as far away from the hurricane as possible. Years ago I was on the Norwegian Breakaway’s seven day Bermuda sailing with my family. Because of a hurricane traveling northbound between North Carolina and Bermuda we left New York City and traveled in an easterly direction until we were north of Bermuda. The ship then changed direction and approached Bermuda from a northerly direction. On normal sailings to Bermuda the ship sails in a south easterly directly towards Bermuda.

7 minutes ago, Brina424 said:

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Does a cruise to nowhere stay close to the shore? At this point I'm so nervous I'll be happy to just sail around jersey! It's so hard to coordinate schedules. I'm so excited to spend the time with my family. Jerry is kinda killing my vibe! 

The cruise lines haven't been allowed to do a cruise to nowhere for several years now. a cruise Atlantic Canada, for example Halifax, is most likely.

I know that cruises to nowhere aren’t allowed due to crew employment issues but under specific circumstances the cruise company can petition the United States Government for an exemption. You are right  in reference to possibly sailing to Halifax, Nova Scotia for the short five day sailing.

5 hours ago, Brina424 said:

Hi, 

I posted in the hurricane section but then realized that might be more to discuss the actual storm and I should probably post here. We are scheduled to leave NJ the day after tmrw (Sat 9/21) for a 5 night trip to Bermuda on Anthem (Bermuda Monday and leave Tuesday). Jerry looks like it's headed straight for Bermuda just around the time we are getting there. This is our 6th cruise and we have never experienced a weather issue. Decided to bring the grandparents along this time to show them how awesome cruising is. Can someone with more experience please tell me what you think might happen with my trip? I personally just love the ship and would literally be happy to just sit on it in the harbor 😂. I'm wondering how conservative Royal Caribbean is with their decisions, how much notice they give for an itinerary change, where we might go. Just looking for best guesses from those of you who have been around the block. I'm very very anxious about this! Thanks. ☺ 

A women who exercises at the gym I belong to is also on your cruise.If I see her tomorrow I will inquire if she has gotten any info from the cruise line and post it here.

36 minutes ago, marco said:

If you end up not going to Bermuda, my guess would be New England.  Which ever ports you can get to and back in 5 days.  Maybe Newport,  Boston. Portland, or maybe a port in Maine?

They have to include a port in Atlantic Canada such as Halifax or St. John because a foreign port call is required except in case of emergency, and this wouldn't qualify as an emergency because they will know in advance of departure  that the itinerary will have to be adjusted.

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

But unless you have cancel for whatever reason insurance you wouldn’t get a refund. 

Comprehensive cancellation insurance is a very good choice during hurricane season if you are sailing the the Caribbean.  Even still the delights of New England pale in comparison and it might be worth taking the hit.