Sunrise not going to Bermuda but Carnival comes through!

madamerkf

Because of Humberto the 9/16/2019 sailing out of Brooklyn went to Charleston instead. We were supposed to have at least a few hours in Bermuda. Just got an announcement from the captain that they can’t go to Bermuda but are giving us all 100% future cruise credit with two years to use it! So we wound up with 5/6 sea days which is actually fine by me. And my next cruise will be free. Can’t beat that and kudos to Carnival for fixing an otherwise not so great for your vacation situation. 

• Like 23

Maybe sailing during hurricane season is not such a bad idea, eh? Hidden benefits are always welcome. For us our prime objective sailing during the hurricane season(when school is in session), was to avoid the crowds during  peak sailing season. I think we achieved our objective.....I think. Won't know until we sail.

Wow! Really nice on Carnival's part to give you a 100% credit on a future cruise when it was 1000% not their fault. Hope you're still enjoying your sailing, and if you use the credit for another Bermuda cruise you'll absolutely love it there! 

That is awesome, way to go Carnival! I knew I should have stayed on this sailing and not switched to the Sunshine next week. HAHAHAHAHA.

I am wondering what will happen with Sunshine and Bermuda next week....I have a sneaking suspicion I won't be getting back to Bermuda...

I was sitting at the Red Frog Rum Bar when the Captain made the announcement. The entire pool area broke out in applause and cheers. I think that 95 percent of the passengers understood and were very happy. Of course the other 5 percent.....

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

I was sitting at the Red Frog Rum Bar when the Captain made the announcement. The entire pool area broke out in applause and cheers. I think that 95 percent of the passengers understood and were very happy. Of course the other 5 percent.....

After reading all your reviews, why am I not surprised to hear this is where you were? :classic_biggrin: Hope you have had a good cruise Jeff. I can't wait to read your review.

35 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

That is awesome, way to go Carnival! I knew I should have stayed on this sailing and not switched to the Sunshine next week. HAHAHAHAHA.

I am wondering what will happen with Sunshine and Bermuda next week....I have a sneaking suspicion I won't be getting back to Bermuda...

Just a really strong feeling we aren’t going to Bermuda....... but we will make the best of it!

Kim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LUVMYGSDOG said:

Just a really strong feeling we aren’t going to Bermuda....... but we will make the best of it!

Kim

Yes Kim, we will! We will have a great time wherever they send us. As long as I am not at work, or having to cook and clean, I will be happy!

• Like 3

Great end result.  I just got off the Sunrise on the 16th when this cruise departed.  We were disembarked in Manhattan before she repositioned to Brooklyn.  For some reason everyone on our cruise got about a $140 or so credit for a refund of port charges, which we were never told about.  Carnival at least makes the effort to do the right thing!

46 minutes ago, bunnyman said:

Great end result.  I just got off the Sunrise on the 16th when this cruise departed.  We were disembarked in Manhattan before she repositioned to Brooklyn.  For some reason everyone on our cruise got about a $140 or so credit for a refund of port charges, which we were never told about.  Carnival at least makes the effort to do the right thing!

Hi - I was on the cruise 9/12-16th as well. Funny enough I was actually booked on the 9/16-22 but switched it a couple of months ago to accommodate my aunt who was traveling with us. The cruise was an 80th BD present for my mom, so I am glad we were actually able to go to Bermuda instead of getting a free cruise.

Anyway to answer your question, I asked about the $70 or so credit. I was told that the port taxes were much less than anticipated, so it was a refund. I actually was pretty impressed with Carnival refunding us, they could have kept it and we wouldn't have known any different.

Did it take you a long time to get off the ship? it took us an hour to get into the building, it was ridiculous. They kept on saying it was customs, but there was no line in customs and they had 6 agents working.

5 hours ago, madamerkf said:

Because of Humberto the 9/16/2019 sailing out of Brooklyn went to Charleston instead. We were supposed to have at least a few hours in Bermuda. Just got an announcement from the captain that they can’t go to Bermuda but are giving us all 100% future cruise credit with two years to use it! So we wound up with 5/6 sea days which is actually fine by me. And my next cruise will be free. Can’t beat that and kudos to Carnival for fixing an otherwise not so great for your vacation situation. 

That's very generous of them and I give props where it is due.  

We are scheduled to depart for Bermuda next week and I hope we get to go, but at least I know Carnival will do what they can to make guests happy.  

How is Charleston? 

8 minutes ago, MiamiLady said:

Fingers crossed we are on the Magic to Bermuda on 9/28 also.looking forward to spendI  time with my sons and their wives! Family cruise. Will make the best of it. 

I'm in Palm Beach County also, and will be on that cruise too.  

• Like 1

From what I have heard, Bermuda was without power. The trip has been very rocky with rough waters. 18 foot swells according to the captain. The entertainment crew has been amazing in trying to keep it all fun! Most of the people applauded when we found out about the FCC. I asked at guest services and they told me it included taxes and port charges, even though they already refunded us the port charges. 

6 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Maybe sailing during hurricane season is not such a bad idea, eh?

The move Carnival made is to make more people think this way. Tons of people are scared to death to travel during peak hurricane season. I've been on a September vacation the past 6 years, and haven't been affected by a hurricane yet, but one day it will likely come. It's not the end of the world. For how cheap, the great weather, and fewer kids, I love it.

• Like 1