Florida - To Be Clear - Car Seats NOT Needed for Hotel Airport Shuttles?

bamelin

Yes I've looked over multiple topics on the board, but the answers are all over the place.

For my cruises I've arranged cruise transportation buses from the airport and back and the cruise lines have stated I can put our 18 month old on the lap.  But I need airport shuttles to the hotels -- just so I am clear, car seats are NOT needed for airport to hotel shuttles?

My plan was to use cruise shuttles to get to the cruise ships from the airport and back to airport from port then use airport hotel shuttles for the hotels so I don't need to bring the car seat. 

Bringing a car seat is not a good option for us as we are not driving to the airport and back where we live (we are taking express train to airport from downtown where we live).  Will already have a stroller, suitcases, toddler, etc, no way to get the car seat to the airport short of taking a very expensive taxi.  I mean I CAN do this if there is no other way but I'd rather not have to lug the car seat with us.

Edited by bamelin

I get what you are saying. On actual busses or mini-busses, I don't think a carseat is necessary by law. I know Disney Worlds Magical Express does not require a carseat on their busses and that is good enough for me.

However, in a passenger van shuttle, I just assumed the law was the same as any passenger vehicle and took the darn car seat. We used it on the plane anyway (for safety and my sanity) and then used it in Ft Lauderdale and St Thomas as both had 12 person passenger vans for transport. It was a pain but we got a light weight car seat as our second car seat so it worked. Next cruise in a few months, I'm getting a backpack carry sack for it. 

On 9/19/2019 at 1:08 PM, bamelin said:

no way to get the car seat to the airport short of taking a very expensive taxi.

which port are you sailing out of and which airport are you flying into?

a hotel shuttle may not even have a seat belt with with you could install a car seat. If it does, you may still need to use a locking clip to install a car seat.

Is your kid going to have his own airplane seat or be a lap baby?

On 9/19/2019 at 1:08 PM, bamelin said:

Will already have a stroller,

just for funsies and other people:

1daa2c7045f4772e756df20629b0410c.jpg

6a00d8341ca9bc53ef01b8d1f0cc16970c-250wi.jpg

19fc870e3a1a4f6ef926ec3005367cb6.jpg

71luZg4hg4L__SL256_.jpg

kWlMJX4LlBn0diSHW3psarp13ugNuki4_lg.jpg

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:53 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

which port are you sailing out of and which airport are you flying into?

a hotel shuttle may not even have a seat belt with with you could install a car seat. If it does, you may still need to use a locking clip to install a car seat.

Is your kid going to have his own airplane seat or be a lap baby?

just for funsies and other people:

1daa2c7045f4772e756df20629b0410c.jpg

6a00d8341ca9bc53ef01b8d1f0cc16970c-250wi.jpg

19fc870e3a1a4f6ef926ec3005367cb6.jpg

71luZg4hg4L__SL256_.jpg

kWlMJX4LlBn0diSHW3psarp13ugNuki4_lg.jpg

Miami and Fort Lauderdale --- we have checked with our hotels and no car seat needed for the shuttles -- also checked with cruise line and no car seat needed for transport from airport on cruise shuttle.  18 month old will be a lap baby on the plane.

The only really annoying thing is that I discovered in Fort Lauderdale really only the 3 star hotels offer airport shuttles … most of the nicer 4 star places don't seem to have it or only offer through a third party.

16 hours ago, bamelin said:

Miami and Fort Lauderdale --- we have checked with our hotels and no car seat needed for the shuttles -- also checked with cruise line and no car seat needed for transport from airport on cruise shuttle.  18 month old will be a lap baby on the plane.

The only really annoying thing is that I discovered in Fort Lauderdale really only the 3 star hotels offer airport shuttles … most of the nicer 4 star places don't seem to have it or only offer through a third party.

you may want to check Florida Departures board. We stayed at a rather lovely Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port which has an airport and Everglades port shuttle (but no shuttle to POM), and they use nice buses for shuttles.

But an uber from FLL to the Port of Miami is $36-50, so I wouldn't call it a "very expensive taxi". A regular taxi from FLL to POM is $75. Compared to $200 a night hotels it's not that expensive.

I have taken my kids on a hotel shuttle several times and they aren't required to be in a carseat. The only problem I've had was with a taxi driver who wouldn't drive us to the airport from the cruise terminal b/c we didn't have carseats. I told the police officer who directed us to that taxi and he had us get in a taxi minivan that had no problem taking us.

17 hours ago, akeasley said:

I have taken my kids on a hotel shuttle several times and they aren't required to be in a carseat. The only problem I've had was with a taxi driver who wouldn't drive us to the airport from the cruise terminal b/c we didn't have carseats. I told the police officer who directed us to that taxi and he had us get in a taxi minivan that had no problem taking us.

there is a sign at the taxi stand at the FLL that ALL children under 5 must be in car seats.

I actually applaud the taxi driver who didn't take you. If you were in an accident and your children died or were badly hurt, he might have gone to prison for it.  Smart dude. 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2019 at 10:15 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

there is a sign at the taxi stand at the FLL that ALL children under 5 must be in car seats.

I actually applaud the taxi driver who didn't take you. If you were in an accident and your children died or were badly hurt, he might have gone to prison for it.  Smart dude. 

You have the right to your opinion. It’s funny that the Broward County police officer didn’t seem concerned that we didn’t have car seats so I’m not sure about it being a law.

4 hours ago, akeasley said:

You have the right to your opinion. It’s funny that the Broward County police officer didn’t seem concerned that we didn’t have car seats so I’m not sure about it being a law.

some police people just don't care. The other day one was right behind a speeder in a school zone during the school zone time period and he didn't care at all. Didn't pull him over or anything.

But yes - in the US by law children must be in car seats.  Why would you even doubt that?

Oh, and the laws of physics still work when you are on vacation.  It doesn't matter whether the car you are in is a regular car or a taxi. It rams or is rammed just as any other car.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

I completely understand that lugging around a car seat and finding transportation to accommodate it can be a hassle. I am dreading dealing with it on my upcoming cruise and having to adjust our plans in ports accordingly. However, you should really take a minute to think about the WHY behind using a car seat. Laws may be different from place to place, but the purpose of a car seat is to protect your child in case of an accident. Even if it's not required by law you should still use one.  

An airport shuttle is still a vehicle driving on roads with other vehicles. If you use a car seat at home when you drive, why wouldn't you take those same precautions with somebody else driving? If it was an older child I could maybe see using a booster or some sort of alternative but I wouldn't even entertain that idea for an 18 month old. It's safest for kids to be in a rear facing car seat until at least 2 or until they outgrow the weight/height limit to rear face in their seat. 

It's ridiculous and irresponsible to risk the life of a child because a car seat is an inconvenience to deal with. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

some police people just don't care. The other day one was right behind a speeder in a school zone during the school zone time period and he didn't care at all. Didn't pull him over or anything.

But yes - in the US by law children must be in car seats.  Why would you even doubt that?

Oh, and the laws of physics still work when you are on vacation.  It doesn't matter whether the car you are in is a regular car or a taxi. It rams or is rammed just as any other car.

I admit I’ve gone without car seats in places they aren’t required in taxi’s like NYC and Chicago, but in this case, the cop was wrong, since the law in Florida does not allow taxi’s to allow kids under 5 without one.