Help! Hurricane troubles

zeph918

This is my first cruise so I don't know how it works. We are set to go to Bermuda next week but there is a hurricane heading in that direction. In fact, the hurricane is supposed to be there on Monday evening and Tuesday which are the exact days we are going to be there.

How do cruise ships handle this? Do they cancel the cruise entirely? What about the shore excursions that we have already paid for? Do they get refunded?

We are flying on Saturday to Orlando and this has me worried in more ways than one. I have insured my trip just in case, but I don't know how all of this works

8 minutes ago, zeph918 said:

This is my first cruise so I don't know how it works.

Welcome to the amazing industry of cruising! I really hope you enjoy your first cruise!

9 minutes ago, zeph918 said:

In fact, the hurricane is supposed to be there on Monday evening and Tuesday which are the exact days we are going to be there.

Hurricane paths change frequently, so until then, you can only predict. However, if the hurricane was in fact to hit Bermuda, you sailing would be diverted (most likely to the Western Caribbean). 

10 minutes ago, zeph918 said:

Do they cancel the cruise entirely?

Very rarely is a cruise canceled entirely. Most of the time they divert, or shorten/lengthen the sailing. 

10 minutes ago, zeph918 said:

What about the shore excursions that we have already paid for? Do they get refunded?

If booked through Carnival, yes. If booked through an outside vendor, check with them for more details; (short answer yes, as most vendors offer a 24-48 hour cancellation policy). On top of that, you would be refunded the taxes and port fees.

13 minutes ago, zeph918 said:

We are flying on Saturday to Orlando and this has me worried in more ways than one.

When does your cruise leave? Saturday or Sunday? If Saturday, you may be cutting it close as Orlando is 60 miles away from Port Canaveral. If Sunday, you should be more than fine.

14 minutes ago, zeph918 said:

I have insured my trip just in case, but I don't know how all of this works

Did you insure your trip BEFORE or AFTER Hurricane Humberto? If after, you will not be reimbursed (for whatever you miss, either on or off the ship) as the hurricane is now considered a predicted event.

• Like 1

I insured back last december when  I first booked the cruise.    Your answers have put my mind at ease a bit. I was worried about flying to Orlando and then the cruise be entirely canceled or something causing us to be stranded.  

We are set to be in Bermuda on Monday and Tuesday which is exactly when that hurricane is predicted to be there. I guess we will see how it goes.

Screenshot_20190919-122351.png

If the ship for whatever reason does not go to Bermuda and has to be diverted somewhere else, I wonder if insurance would cover that. It seems to say so under the trip interruption section since it didnt reach its destination.   Hmmm   i may have to get clarification on this.

Screenshot_20190919-133706.png

Screenshot_20190919-133724.png

I wouldn't bet on the trip interruption clause being applicable.

1. The first statement under trip interruption says coverage applies for situations that are unforeseen and take place after departure. The possibility of a diversion due to weather is well known at this point. 

2. There is the statement about weather where the common carrier (in your case Carnival) is forced to cease operations for at least  24 consecutive  hours due to weather. Carnival will still be operating at your departure port and your destination is that departure port and the ship.  

Where the ship goes after it leaves port is not a factor in trip interruption.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

zeph918

My Dad was USN and I grew up hearing how the Navy would not allow anything to happen to their ship and by default my dad would stay safe when out to sea. I am grown and know that accidents do happen but they are rare. The same thought goes with the cruise industry, The cruise line will not allow anything to happen to their ship. They will monitor the ports carefully and sail accordingly. You will stay safe by default and could even visit an unplanned port and have an unplanned fabulous time. I have been on 12 cruises that were changed over the years due to storms and have never had an unenjoyable time. I wish you a great cruise and fond memories. Please share all with us in a review when you return. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

zeph918, sandy toes is totally on point. This being your first cruise, keep in mind, no cruise line wants to risk lawsuits by putting their passengers in harm's way.

You may not go to Bermuda, but you will go somewhere. Don't cancel your cruise, unless, Bermuda is the only port you're interested in.  Go with the flow 😊 and have a great time where ever you may sail!

Keep us posted.

Happy Sails! 🛳️

I was just on Horizon 6 day cruise from the port of Miami  when hurricane Dorian was approaching. Sail date was Sunday. Saturday night Carnival sent us an e-mail saying the POM was closing and not expected to reopen until Wednesday.

Many of us were already in Miami.  

Carnival offered 2 options 

1 cancel your cruise and get full refund plus 100% FCC

2 stay and cruise on shorten 3 day cruise and get 50% refund and 50% FCC

We choose to stay and sail. 

We will file for trip delay with our insurance for room and board for the 3 extra day stay in Miami.

This is different from your situation since ours involved the home port.

Yours will involve different ports most likely. Cruises are rarely ever canceled. Carnival does have the right to change ports.

There are some insurance that pay for missed ports.

22 hours ago, zeph918 said:

If the ship for whatever reason does not go to Bermuda and has to be diverted somewhere else, I wonder if insurance would cover that. It seems to say so under the trip interruption section since it didnt reach its destination.   Hmmm   i may have to get clarification on this.

A change of ports on a cruise does not count as a trip interruption. The cruise is your trip and unless you were forced to abandon ship, you probably won't be covered, and you have no loss to reimburse anyway. Since you use insuremytrip and Nationwide TRAVEL insurance, you might consider getting Nationwide's CRUISE insurance which is also offered through insuremytrip. It pays a fixed amount (even without you having lost money) PER PERSON for missed ports that are announced once you are already on board ($100 - $250 depending on the level of policy you buy) or itinerary changes that are announced before you board ($500 - $1250 depending on policy level). And it covers excursion fees that are not refunded by the company. I consider it mandatory for cruising during hurricane season.

15 minutes ago, Davey Wavey said:

A change of ports on a cruise does not count as a trip interruption. The cruise is your trip and unless you were forced to abandon ship, you probably won't be covered, and you have no loss to reimburse anyway. Since you use insuremytrip and Nationwide TRAVEL insurance, you might consider getting Nationwide's CRUISE insurance which is also offered through insuremytrip. It pays a fixed amount (even without you having lost money) PER PERSON for missed ports that are announced once you are already on board ($100 - $250 depending on the level of policy you buy) or itinerary changes that are announced before you board ($500 - $1250 depending on policy level). And it covers excursion fees that are not refunded by the company. I consider it mandatory for cruising during hurricane season.

We are planning to sail on 9/28 to Bermuda and I'm feeling relieved that I got the Nationwide Cruise Choice policy.

image.png.a14c7287b47b0c4d7009f6f9da0307a6.png

On 9/19/2019 at 1:49 PM, zeph918 said:

This is my first cruise so I don't know how it works. We are set to go to Bermuda next week but there is a hurricane heading in that direction. In fact, the hurricane is supposed to be there on Monday evening and Tuesday which are the exact days we are going to be there.

How do cruise ships handle this? Do they cancel the cruise entirely? What about the shore excursions that we have already paid for? Do they get refunded?

We are flying on Saturday to Orlando and this has me worried in more ways than one. I have insured my trip just in case, but I don't know how all of this works

Hurricane Humberto, meanwhile, was beginning to weaken after lashing Bermuda on Wednesday. The hurricane center said the Category 3 storm was likely to become a post-tropical cyclone by Friday. 

While the storm did not hit Bermuda directly, it pounded the British Atlantic island offshore with heavy rain while powerful winds above 100 mph knocked down power lines and trees.

The storm left more than 80% of the territory without electricity on Thursday.

Authorities said Humberto also blew off rooftops as it passed by the island. No deaths were reported.

“We’ve made it through and everyone is safe,” said Premier David Burt. “That’s what is most important.”

Security Minister Wayne Caines said schools and government offices were closed. He asked people to stay off roads while emergency crews cleared debris and removed power lines.

Meanwhile, Hurricane Jerry remained a Category 2 hurricane expected to steer away from the Leeward Islands and shift north over the weekend, but threaten Bermuda with reduced intensity by Tuesday

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Hurricane Humberto, meanwhile, was beginning to weaken after lashing Bermuda on Wednesday. The hurricane center said the Category 3 storm was likely to become a post-tropical cyclone by Friday. 

While the storm did not hit Bermuda directly, it pounded the British Atlantic island offshore with heavy rain while powerful winds above 100 mph knocked down power lines and trees.

The storm left more than 80% of the territory without electricity on Thursday.

Authorities said Humberto also blew off rooftops as it passed by the island. No deaths were reported.

“We’ve made it through and everyone is safe,” said Premier David Burt. “That’s what is most important.”

Security Minister Wayne Caines said schools and government offices were closed. He asked people to stay off roads while emergency crews cleared debris and removed power lines.

Meanwhile, Hurricane Jerry remained a Category 2 hurricane expected to steer away from the Leeward Islands and shift north over the weekend, but threaten Bermuda with reduced intensity by Tuesday

Yes, we are supposed to sail out of Charleston, on the Sunshine, on the 28th, to Bermuda. Fingers crossed and praying Jerry is gone by then. Also, hoping and praying no damage to Bermuda. So wanting to go!

On 9/19/2019 at 4:20 PM, zeph918 said:

Yeah, you're right! I'm sure it will be a good time no matter what.

That's a great and refreshing attitude.  You might be surprised how many people put a hate on a cruise line when they have to divert because of weather.  Regardless, if you miss Bermuda on this cruise you have an excuse to go on a second one.  It is a beautiful destination.

5 hours ago, Davey Wavey said:

Just an FYI. Nationwide’s coverage for missed or changed ports is not available in all states.Don’t assume you have that coverage unless you check.

As a first-time Cruiser, we have never been to any of the destinations on the new itinerary either so I guess we are okay with this. Wasn't planned, but we will make the most of it. I am sure that San Juan and Amber Cove are pretty as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nhraformula00 said:

Stay very close to the port in San Juan if walking, 3-4 blocks. 

Not necessarily true. We walked the entire forts , streets, went down to the sea glass beach and had a great time , two different cruises.very quaint place.