Last minute booking. Have you done it?

jaowel

I'm heading to Florida for a conference in a couple of weeks and my husband is going to be joining me 4 days before hand to celebrate our 20th anniversary. I'm thinking about booking a last minute cruise out of PC if the weather looks good. I've read you should book 3 days before for Port Authority requirements, so that's not a problem. Has anyone done this and can you share the price you paid if you waited until the week of the sailing to book? The prices are great to begin with, but I'm just wondering since it's not peak season, if the rate will drop a little more. TIA!

My first cruise was booked two weeks out. It resulted in the best price I've ever had and it was in a peak summer time...right around the 4th of July. The reason I wouldn't want to do it now is I'd get stuck in a room I probably don't want and I'd probably end up with late dining instead of YTD. 

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

I did it 3 weeks out.  I am a solo traveler and NCL had a great deal of NO single supplement plus a great sale price and I got a balcony.  I was able to choose my room too.   I do agree with Saint Greg about it being only a week out because you might get stuck with whatever room they have left. (under pool area, below all the kitchens, next to crew work areas)  See what ship you want to go on and check out the deck plans and call to see if what rooms they have left.  I always have to pick my room because I am a very light sleeper, but if this is not a problem for you, and you don't have any preferences about staterooms, then I say go for it and have a great time!  Happy 20th anniversary!!!  Congrats!

• Thanks 1

Carnival allows you to call in the morning and sail in the afternoon.  You have to call, can't do it online.  And you would need to be armed with passport or birth certificates...Just in case.  Don't let anyone say the manifest has to go n 72 hours before departure.  It goes in 60 minutes before departure.  EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I booked for a same day departure with my PVP in 2014 for a sailing on the Inspiration. I was advised to present myself at the pier as a same day booking and was checked in as usual except a room card had to be made for me rather than it being pre-made. Also, I had to go through a secondary security check of my person which turned out to be nothing more than the security person asking me why I was sailing on such short notice. When hearing I live in the area and had 4 days off to have fun and my solo fare was only $175 he waved me through. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Carnival allows you to call in the morning and sail in the afternoon.  You have to call, can't do it online.  And you would need to be armed with passport or birth certificates...Just in case.  Don't let anyone say the manifest has to go n 72 hours before departure.  It goes in 60 minutes before departure.  EM

👍 +1

I have booked several in the week or two prior to departure.  We can be pretty flexible as several ports are in driving range.  I have found waiting until the very last minute is not a worthwhile tactic for me though.  They do a pretty good job of filling up the ships and the cruises that were at rock bottom prices for the weeks leading up to it will start to rise as inventory closes out.

• Thanks 1