Hotel in paris

lovetovcruise

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 11:58 PM, Hlitner said:

Just.a suggestion to the OP to first consider what arrondissement (neighborhood) you prefer and then seek recommendations on where to stay in that area.  

Hank

Again, I echo Hank's sentiments in that it's easier to help with your request if you know exactly where in Paris you think you might want to be located. The city is arranged, as Hank noted, in arrondissments (districts) numbered from 1 to 20, starting with number 1 in the center of the city near the river. To the right of number 1 is number 2, continuing to the right is number 3 and it goes clockwise, crossing over the river Seine bringing you to arrondissment number 5, 6,7 before crossing the river again to enter number 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, cross the river again....so it goes clockwise around the river until you get to the 20th arrondissment. 

Staying in the city center can be convenient but we all have our reasons for where we like to stay, why, and when. I've stayed at many different places in several different arrondissments throughout Paris over the years. Probably my favorite is staying in the 1st because I like the hotel I've used there, Hotel Mansart on rue des Capucines, on a quite street but close to métro and many other important places and things.  Other times I didn't really care where I was in Paris, as long as I was there and near a métro stop, I was good to go! 

The métro is so easy to use, helps you get around quick and so when I was in a hotel in the 12th once briefly prior to heading out to Epérnay and Reims, I booked a brief stay there in a comfy 2 star that was fine. Métro station was right outside and I had no worries getting around.  Staying in the 7th, Hotel l'Alma actually made me feel rather remote though I was a short walk right into Champs du Mars which is lovely, but it's rather a quiet district in certain areas.  I liked staying in the 5th, Hotel Agora St Germain. 

Let us know how your search goes and if you have any questions! 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just to add fuel to the fire (and some fun) our favorite areas (to stay) are the 5th and 6th.  We have also enjoyed staying in the Marais area (3rd and 4th) (especially when we are in Paris on a Sunday) So many choices.   But Host Bonjour has us thinking (and talking) since we are planning another Paris visit next year and are always willing to consider new ideas.  My personal preference is to again rent a flat in St Germain des Pres (6th) but we are thinking this is not a good move for a shorter visit (thinking 4 days).  My post is relevant to this discussion since it is truly post cruise (which ends in Southampton).

Hank

• Thanks 1

Marais is lively and distinctive, great markets. The 6th is particularly lovely. I have a black and white photo of traffic heading up Boulevard St Germain, it's from the 90s, that almost really looks like it's from the 60s because the cars and scooters that happen to be in the frame weren't so new. I ran around that day shooting in black and white and those photos are among my all time faves of Paris. It was when you had to finish a roll of film rather than just flip a button on the camera. My Cafe Flore pic is awesome as well. Something indescribable about this area but, that said, as I previously wrote, each of the repeat visits to different locations proved to be memorable and brought Paris closer to my heart and deeper into my brain.

I had to get out of my comfort zones again, but they were still there for me of course, a quick métro trip away (or a walk) but invariably I became so much more comfortable in Paris, this city that I inexplicably realized the day after my first arrival, was also my home. Returning to Paris in different locations (but always revisiting my standards) expanded the boundaries of Paris for me, expanding the possibilities and range of how much more I could discover, whether I planned it or not. And I always figured that if I didn't like an area I'd picked, I could leave and pick some other place to stay but that never happened. I became immediately curious wherever I was, busy exploring and off on my itinerary to see or do whatever was next or just hit my usual places to check in and just be Parisian for an hour or so. 

It probably should get talked about more, pre/post cruise stays in Paris, not unlike London stays which seem to be more common. Much more time to enjoy the city and do side trips and avoid the long travel from Le Havre to Paris and back for the day trip. Very easy to do any number of side trips or half days from Paris including Rouen, and Giverny, Versailles, Barbizon, but I always try to bring up Vaux le Vicomte when I can as an alternative, as it preceded Versailles, and was the inspiration for the larger palace. There are candlelit tours of Vaux that can be quite enchanting, perhaps not unlike the evening concerts in Saint Chapelle. 

Maybe we can convince Hank and Mrs Hank to take a flat somewhere else next trip to Paris? It is rather nice being near the Opéra, Place Vendôme, Le Louvre all within walking distance or who knows, maybe in scenic Montmartre? Yes, I suppose maybe I'm trying to get you to the other side. Rive Droite. 

Stay tuned everyone.... 😉

Speaking of post cruise stays, we have long been a fan of doing a day early disembarkation at Le Havre, for those cruises that continue on to an English port (the following day).   Most cruise lines will approve an early disembarkation (you do not get a discount for missing the last day of your cruise) and there are hourly trains between Le Havre and Paris.  The last time we did this (a Princess cruise) there were about 100 passengers who joined us in disembarking at Le Havre.

Hank

• Like 1

Hank knows....

...and I left out Hotel Indigo, where my aunt and uncle stayed last year (April) and absolutely loved. It's also near Opéra and the concierge pointed them to some good dining in the area too, places that were unassuming but divine. One even shared a recipe with my uncle but for what in this moment, I cannot remember. They were actually on their way UP to Normandy, but whichever way it goes, it's a wonderful combination. 😉 

• 2 months later...

We stayed at the Chambiges Élysées, it was a great location, we took a bus to the Eiffel Tower, but could have walked.

I booked online and it was 270e/ night.
There was breakfast available for purchase, we paid 5 e 
For us we only had a short time in Paris, so we wanted to have a centrally located hotel.

843E3B2C-6E8B-4182-82A8-11C512B8EB8F.jpeg

F7F51A0F-B4C6-4AC0-BF57-25395FDD589A.jpeg

4AF618EE-F98A-47D6-A5ED-134A94E61D53.jpeg

EF4ECF80-7069-4045-A493-6B79BDF973A9.jpeg

15C20676-4828-42CF-ACDA-82DA1138F607.jpeg

7EE5E0E3-10F3-47A8-A3C3-BF340B8AACC6.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...