No Castaway Cay

Firepath

A long time ago (about 18 yrs!) we cruised the Wonder in early December. The day we were scheduled for Castaway Cay was beautiful weather and we were so excited. But alas, they were unable to dock so we had an incredibly boring day at sea instead. The only scheduled activity was bingo. It was so bad that until just recently, my husband has refused to cruise again. It didn't help that Norovirus was also going around. How often is there a docking problem (they mentioned something about the current being too strong) and is there a better plan in place now in case of an unscheduled day at sea? 

13 minutes ago, Firepath said:

A long time ago (about 18 yrs!) we cruised the Wonder in early December. The day we were scheduled for Castaway Cay was beautiful weather and we were so excited. But alas, they were unable to dock so we had an incredibly boring day at sea instead. The only scheduled activity was bingo. It was so bad that until just recently, my husband has refused to cruise again. It didn't help that Norovirus was also going around. How often is there a docking problem (they mentioned something about the current being too strong) and is there a better plan in place now in case of an unscheduled day at sea? 

Castaway Cay is missed occasionally.  Recently, at this time of year, due to hurricane damage.

In my experience, cancelled port stops/day at sea activities are usually pretty plentiful.  Now, whether you're interested in what's offered or not, may make it seem like there's "nothing to do".

Hi,

Is there a special reason why you like to go to Castaway Island? If there is none, maybe you convince your husband to go on NCL, Princess or Celebrity. These are bigger and that means more entertainment during unexpected seadays. What does your husband like to do?

24 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

Just got back from a week’s cruise on Disney Fantasy.  Our ship made three attempts but the currents were too strong and we had to spend a day at sea in place of Castaway Cay.

Did they have activities on board for that day at sea? 

Edited by Firepath

when they can't get to CC it is not exactly something that's never happened before!

The alternate plan/activities are all planned out and 'on the shelf'.  Only factor is when the decision is made that CC is not gonna happen and they can get alternate plan running.  Sometimes the wx is SO bad they know the night b4 ... and sometimes the Master will try and try and try to dock and won't give up until 9AM so the swap takes a lil longer . . . 

For me ... if the wx is that bad on CC I'd rather be on board where there's a chance the Master can find some sun shine ....

btw on one of our cruises after the Master had tried for a couple of hours to get in and finally had to do a sea day, I had the opportunity to spend a couple of hours talking 'ship driving' one on one (he spotted my uniform and recog' from other cruises and joined us in a lounge). They KNOW how big a deal it is to miss CC ... I mentioned that he'd tried much longer than I would have given the conditions and he mentioned that the list of complaints and lower 'review scores' drove them to try and try and then try at least one more time .... even if they know the weather on CC is gonna be horrible.

Edited by Capt_BJ

On 9/22/2019 at 10:49 AM, Firepath said:

Did they have activities on board for that day at sea? 

We missed Grand Cayman on our first cruise and they rolled out a full day of activities. I remember sitting in Cabanas and looking at what was available and I'd refresh the app and there'd be new things loaded in.

I think because my Disney cruise was 17 yrs. ago (and certainly before the app) they now have a better plan for "surprise" at sea days. DCL was still pretty new at that time and the only "activity" provided was bingo. I''m glad to hear that things are much better now and they are ready with other options if CC is a no go.

Edited by Firepath