Los Angeles as a port stop

Langley Cruisers

We are on a cruise next year that ports at Los Angeles for the entire day. I have used the search function here and read some threads on nearby shopping, etc. I see that Ports o' Call Village is permanently closed and there doesn't seem to be too much else around? Have also checked out Sunseekers Tours. I am battling an illness and we do not want to take a tour that could land us in traffic for hours, or is simply too far away. I can walk for 30 minutes or so... I don't know, is there anything we might do in the area? My husband may want to go to the USS Iowa and I would definitely encourage him to go alone but I'm not sure he would leave me.

We're very easy going and don't mind staying on the ship, but I did want to ask advice if there is something you'd recommend we see in the area. 😊

You might want to try Long Beach.  It's a reasonably short cab ride away (15-20 mins?). Would you be able to manage the Queen Mary? It's been awhile since I've been, but the tours there were pretty interesting.  Or you could just go have lunch or a drink and poke around there. 

Also the Aquarium of the Pacific

• Like 3

Thank you both. We have been to Long Beach on land vacations and really enjoyed ourselves. Did the Queen Mary a few years ago, spent four hours exploring. DH was in his glory. 🤣

I appreciate the replies, which are basically confirming there is nothing to do in the immediate area. I hope DH will feel free to go to the USS Iowa. 👍

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Splinter said:

Another option in San Pedro is the Los Angeles Maritime Museum. If your husband loves ships and the sea, this would be good for him. It is a short walk from the pier, or you can take waterfront trolley:

https://www.lamaritimemuseum.org/

Corrected tof info on the bus trolley. The rail trolley unfortunately is no longer running:

https://sanpedro.com/community-information/san-pedro-downtown-trolley/

• Like 1

We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise-stop in San Pedro a few years back Karen - the Maritime Museum, Iowa, Aquarium already mentioned above and the Muller House Museum. Between those, lunch, a 'quick' stop in the craft market for the missus to look for wool, and a wander about the streets (it was the annual Day of the Dead festival) the day was so packed we had to skip the Lane Victory and Fire Department museums! We walked between all of them, and while that sounds like it's off the table for you it does mean that if you Ubered/cabbed around you could perhaps fit in all that we did and more. I was very pleasantly-surprised with San Pedro, especially the fact there was enough to keep us busy for a whole day without having to go anywhere else in the LA area and fight the traffic!!!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/24/2019 at 9:53 AM, Splinter said:

Another option in San Pedro is the Los Angeles Maritime Museum. If your husband loves ships and the sea, this would be good for him....

UPDATE: Looked into this and I thank you for the suggestion. Seems the Museum will be closing in early 2020 for two years! Here is the link to the info:

https://www.lamaritimemuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Information-on-Waterfront-Construction.pdf

On 12/10/2019 at 3:53 PM, Langley Cruisers said:

UPDATE: Looked into this and I thank you for the suggestion. Seems the Museum will be closing in early 2020 for two years! Here is the link to the info:

https://www.lamaritimemuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Information-on-Waterfront-Construction.pdf

Looks like we will make it just in time. It says it will close early February 2020 and we'll be there in January.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you porting in Long Beach or San Pedro?

If porting in Long Beach check out the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. 

Can take the free Long Beach Passport bus from the parking lot (exit to the right as you exit the Dome).  The Passport  bus stops in front of the Aquarium. 

Passport info

https://ridelbt.com/whereto/?route=37 

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/

Edited by SadieN

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for this thread, which was useful in planning our recent port call to San Pedro.  I don't know whether the OP has sailed yet, but I'll put these comments up for anyone else who may be researching what to do there (and the OP if they haven't sailed yet). 

Both the Maritime Museum and the USS Iowa are within walking distance of the cruise terminal, as others have noted above, and we decided to visit both of them.  Although there was a trolley running, it seemed that we'd be waiting forever to get on one, and since it was a beautiful morning, we began by walking to our farthest destination, the Maritime Museum.

This was late January, and the Museum was about to close for two years because of waterfront renovations being undertaken by the Port of Los Angeles.  Also, according to the Museum, "the Port will be starting some long-awaited infrastructure improvements to our 78-year old building, which is on the National Register of Historic Places."  All I can say is that I hope they gut that building.   The smell of mold and mildew inside the Museum was so overpowering that we could not spend much time inside.  It was sickening.   Which is too bad, because there were some interesting exhibits, specially those about the history of the tuna canning industry in San Pedro.   And the scale model of the Poseidon used to film the original "Poseidon Adventure." 

So off we went to the Battleship Iowa.   This was a great experience!    The self-guided tour is extremely well done.   You get to visit about five decks and walk through a good part of the ship, including the crew and officers' quarters, the navigation bridge, and the Flag bridge.  And standing in the bow in front of the 16-inch guns was amazing. 

If you are at all interested in ships and history,  you will love seeing the Iowa.  (And be glad that the Maritime Museum is closed for two years. 😄)

enhance

(photo by turtles06) 

• Like 1