Port Of Miami - 8 Ships In Port Debarking - Possible Airport Transport Delays?

Robroy

Perhaps this would be best placed on the Florida Port Board but I have always had great advice from this Board's posters. My wife and I are back to Regent this January to try the Explorer Jan 8-18 to the Southern Caribbean. In checking I see that there will be eight ships in port on debarkation day (a Saturday) with several megaships (RCI/Carnival/MSC etc.) Wondering about the chance of getting a 12:15 flight out of MIA even if we got off promptly. The next flight to YYZ wouldn't be until 16:55 which would involve a lot of waiting around. Last time we had a late flight home from MIA we did the Regent Miami tour which was very good.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Rob

Robroy - I’ve only come into Miami once before but I think a 12:15 flight might be cutting it close.  You’ve obviously done your homework checking the port schedule...and although I think it’s possible to get out on a 12:15, the slightest hitch could cause you to miss it.  

Personally, I’d take the later flight... but that’s just me.  After a nice relaxing cruise, the last thing I want to deal with is a missed flight.  To me it’s worth the extra few hours to not have the worry.

Lastly, my wife and I are on that cruise, too.  You should sign up for the M&M - I think we have 16 signed up already.

Edited by UUNetBill

2 hours ago, Robroy said:

Wondering about the chance of getting a 12:15 flight out of MIA even if we got off promptly. The next flight to YYZ wouldn't be until 16:55 which would involve a lot of waiting around.

I guess you have managed to miss the following:

AA 2569   13:45 - 17:04

and

WS 1139  14:00 - 17:14

And that's just looking at non-stops.  Many many one-stop routings.

Also, your flights on AC would be Rouge - hope you know what you would be buying.

Edited by FlyerTalker

Based on experience(s) when debarking at Miami--and posted previously on a Thread about a year ago dealing with this topic--  second the motion made above of getting a later flight.  Noonish departure is problematical.  The last time we did this, there was a 1.50 hour delay just getting off the ship.  And, there were not that many other ships doing the same thing as you will be experiencing.  Then, of course, the private transfer we had arranged was a snafu.  So--grabbed a taxi for a harried, exceed the speed limit drive to Miami Airport.  Very competent taxi driver.  He found us an "expediter" at the Airport who hustled us through the check-in and baggage procedure.  No time for Lounge visit; just move with alacrity to the Gate where boarding was already in progress.  

Made that 1230H flight to SEATAC.  But, not a good way to end a cruise.  

Our next experience at Miami will be this coming March when debarking Splendor.  We have booked a 1530H flight. 

GOARMY!

11 hours ago, Robroy said:

Perhaps this would be best placed on the Florida Port Board but I have always had great advice from this Board's posters. My wife and I are back to Regent this January to try the Explorer Jan 8-18 to the Southern Caribbean. In checking I see that there will be eight ships in port on debarkation day (a Saturday) with several megaships (RCI/Carnival/MSC etc.) Wondering about the chance of getting a 12:15 flight out of MIA even if we got off promptly. The next flight to YYZ wouldn't be until 16:55 which would involve a lot of waiting around. Last time we had a late flight home from MIA we did the Regent Miami tour which was very good.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Rob

Wondering how they will dock 8 ships at the Port of Miami.  According to a Google search only 7 docks.  There is an 8th dock under construction but, not scheduled to open until February.

Are they going to double pare on ship??😁

I cannot imagine that there would be anything unique about Regent that would negatively affect your probability of making a 12:15 PM flight.

I would not hesitate to book a 12:15 PM flight from Miami and I do it frequently.  I have never had a close call.

Thanks to all for your comments and advice. Flyertalker - hadn't considered anything except Air Canada and Westjet frankly and AA makes great sense. I thought we could tolerate Rouge for a three hour flight  but much better not having to deal with it at all (especially since we're old Wendy! 😉) No interest in worrying about missing a flight home - would really put a damper on what looks to be a really relaxing cruise. Can't imagine what a zoo it will be at with that many ships in port.

Thanks again everyone - UUNET Bill - will get onto the M&M soon!

Cheers,

Rob

1 hour ago, Sharle said:

there have always been a lot of ships in port when we've left or arrived in Miami. Regent usually docks at a port not near the other ships. don't remember much of a problem with disembarking.

You're right ....... the number of ships in port should not affect disembarkation ...... unless there are not enough dock workers to unload the luggage from the ship.  The delays that we have had was due to the "snail" slowness of the dock workers and the fact that passengers cannot disembark until every single piece of luggage is offloaded.  

Disembarkment with more ships than docks can be affected by not enough longshoremen as previously stated, not enough customs/immigration people not enough stevadors, a lack of taxis, etc.  Believe Saturday and Sunday are the normally busiest days with 7 day cruises repeating every week.  so the additional ship(s) could bring a shortage of people and services in all the areas where people are required. 

8 hours ago, Robroy said:

Thanks to all for your comments and advice. Flyertalker - hadn't considered anything except Air Canada and Westjet frankly and AA makes great sense. I thought we could tolerate Rouge for a three hour flight  but much better not having to deal with it at all (especially since we're old Wendy! 😉) No interest in worrying about missing a flight home - would really put a damper on what looks to be a really relaxing cruise. Can't imagine what a zoo it will be at with that many ships in port.

Thanks again everyone - UUNET Bill - will get onto the M&M soon!

Cheers,

Rob

Rob - hope you find flights that work for you, and we look forward to meeting you on board!

6 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

You're right ....... the number of ships in port should not affect disembarkation ...... unless there are not enough dock workers to unload the luggage from the ship.  The delays that we have had was due to the "snail" slowness of the dock workers and the fact that passengers cannot disembark until every single piece of luggage is offloaded.  

I don't think the biggest problem is disembarkation. Consider that somewhere north of 80% of those passengers will be making their way to MIA for their flights home. Massive line ups to check in/drop bags, followed by even more massive line ups to get through security! 

Edited by Roland4

Good point Roland. We've gone ahead and booked American with a 1:45 departure which should mean no concerns at either the port or MIA.

Appreciate everyone's insights - look forward to meeting you Bill on board!

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roland4 said:

I don't think the biggest problem is disembarkation. Consider that somewhere north of 80% of those passengers will be making their way to MIA for their flights home. Massive line ups to check in/drop bags, followed by even more massive line ups to get through security! 

A couple of years ago, we made the mistake of booking a 11:20 a.m. flight out of MIA.  Because of this, we checked with Destination Services and were told to line up early so that we would be amongst the first off.  We were first in line but gave up our spot to a couple with a 10:00 a.m. flight (they missed their flight).  We got off of the ship around 9:20 a.m. - flew through security, got a cab and was at the airport in 20 minutes.  We were lucky but I don't think that most of you would want to stand in line for 2 hours.

17 hours ago, rallydave said:

Wondering how they will dock 8 ships at the Port of Miami.  According to a Google search only 7 docks.  There is an 8th dock under construction but, not scheduled to open until February.

Are they going to double pare on ship??😁

It can be done and has been done.  There is one area that they put up a tent.  I only know this because we docked there one time a few years ago.

Keith

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

It can be done and has been done.  There is one area that they put up a tent.  I only know this because we docked there one time a few years ago.

Keith

You're right Keith (as always).  It is officially Terminal H and is used for overflow on very busy days.

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Keith

Thanks Keith,  Glad there is an answer.and that schedules will not need to be changed.

13 hours ago, Robroy said:

Good point Roland. We've gone ahead and booked American with a 1:45 departure which should mean no concerns at either the port or MIA.

I think that is a better solution.

The bad part is that you will still have thousands of people trying to get out of MIA that day, even near the time of your flight departure.  So it's not "no concerns", but rather that you have bought yourself an additional 90 minutes to deal with the crowds.  As my overall recommendations always says - get yourself as promptly as you can through the choke points.  Check-in, baggage drop, security screening.  Those are variables beyond your control.

• Like 1

Excellent advice by FlyerTalker and Roland. So glad you decided to play it safe with the afternoon flight.

We like to get all checked in and through security even though we have the Pre TSA Check and usually are flying Business/First Class.  However, there is Murphys law and always the chance for things to go wrong.  Eight ships in port means it is part of the height of the Miami tourist season so you have many people flying out of there in the morning who didn't take a cruise.  Add to that people not only arriving to the port of Miami but to Port Everglades.

American Airlines uses a very nice terminal in Miami with lots of places to make the time go fast and that includes several nice places for lunch.  

I also wanted to add how it was smart of you to ask before making the flight arrangement.  Often I see people on some of the other boards who ask for advice (or the usual will I be OK) but after they made the reservations.  Given that often reservations have a penalty for changing them I scratch my head and say to myself "why ask after you made the arrangements rather than before".    The other benefit is now you don't have to spend half the cruise worrying about making the flight.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Keith

8 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

American Airlines uses a very nice terminal in Miami with lots of places to make the time go fast and that includes several nice places for lunch.  

Right now American Airlines is on my "dislike" list.  They are always changing flight times.  For our upcoming November cruise, we were due to depart MIA at 2:30 p.m.  The day that we left for our Crystal cruise we received an email that our flight was changed to 6:00 a.m.  The ship won't even be in Miami until 7:00 a.m.

After a lot of frustration, AA told my husband that it was a computer that sent the message and they actually had us on a 12:30 p.m. flight.  Not sure what is wrong with this airline but they need to get their act together.  Unfortunately, we have few choices when flying from MIA to YVR.

8 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Right now American Airlines is on my "dislike" list.  They are always changing flight times.  For our upcoming November cruise, we were due to depart MIA at 2:30 p.m.  The day that we left for our Crystal cruise we received an email that our flight was changed to 6:00 a.m.  The ship won't even be in Miami until 7:00 a.m.

After a lot of frustration, AA told my husband that it was a computer that sent the message and they actually had us on a 12:30 p.m. flight.  Not sure what is wrong with this airline but they need to get their act together.  Unfortunately, we have few choices when flying from MIA to YVR.

Jackie,

They are pretty typical of USA based airlines.  Yes, they make a good number of changes as does Delta,  United Airlines, etc.

And because of this when I book a flight with them or any of the USA airlines or for that matter any airline these days I check my flights from time to time to see if there have been any changes of which I have not been notified which definitely happens.  Should the make a change I am not happy with I simply followup and get it corrected.

With that said II have American Airlines several hundred times for the past 39 years and I have to say the e-mail you got was a first.  😀

Unfortunately glitches do happen (not defending them but they do).  I have a friend who flew on Singapore Airlines (a highly related airline), booked his flights, showed up when the cruise ended and learned they had removed the flight from the schedule starting three weeks prior to that.  Guess what?  They never informed him.  

Either way the terminal at Miami Airport is very nice and since Robroy is on an American flight lets just wish him a nice experience. 

Keith

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Jackie,

They are pretty typical of USA based airlines.  Yes, they make a good number of changes as does Delta,  United Airlines, etc.

And because of this when I book a flight with them or any of the USA airlines or for that matter any airline these days I check my flights from time to time to see if there have been any changes of which I have not been notified which definitely happens.  Should the make a change I am not happy with I simply followup and get it corrected.

With that said II have American Airlines several hundred times for the past 39 years and I have to say the e-mail you got was a first.  😀

Unfortunately glitches do happen (not defending them but they do).  I have a friend who flew on Singapore Airlines (a highly related airline), booked his flights, showed up when the cruise ended and learned they had removed the flight from the schedule starting three weeks prior to that.  Guess what?  They never informed him.  

Either way the terminal at Miami Airport is very nice and since Robroy is on an American flight lets just wish him a nice experience. 

Keith

AA has been changing our times more frequently in the past few months, but many of these changes may be related to their having to juggle their schedules because of the holes created by the grounding of their 737 Max 8 jets.  It does drive us crazy and in several instances we had to call and reschedule since the new flights didn't work with our other arrangements.

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

AA has been changing our times more frequently in the past few months, but many of these changes may be related to their having to juggle their schedules because of the holes created by the grounding of their 737 Max 8 jets.  It does drive us crazy and in several instances we had to call and reschedule since the new flights didn't work with our other arrangements.

I almost forgot about the 737 Max 8 an 9 jets (we flew on one in February - really a beautiful plane but with real issues).  This makes sense.  We were actually lucky to get a flight on the day that we disembark - even though it will be a very long day (long layover).  Really hope that our March, 2020 return from Miami does not change as flights from MIA are difficult to get (at least going to Vancouver).  Thank you for reminding me about why airlines having to juggle schedules.