Was I asking too much OR was this PCC not doing her job?

highlandmom

So, this interaction happened this week and it has me going hmmmm 🤔

We are intending to do a family Christmas cruise this year and have it narrowed down to 3 options, 2 of which are HA (Koningsdam & NS).   We sailed  K at spring break in March with our 18 yr old and loved it so it’s the leading contender.  We intend to  book in a week or 2 once we confirm our 3 young adult children can all make it and hubby can get the time off work.  

I have always booked our cruises directly to retain control but I receive all of these emails from an assigned PCC and thought - let me give her a shot at doing the leg work and then I’ll just book through her in a week or 2 when we know for sure which we pick.  

So that’s the context, (hang in there - yes this is long), I emailed the PCC  and requested an email quote (which I know can change daily) for 2 cabins.   I outlined a couple of specifications  like one Veranda for 3 pax & one inside for 2 - preferably on the same deck and nearish etc.  I also ask to be informed of any obc or special offer.  This will just give me an idea of where the budget needs to be and cabin availability.  Nothing crazy.  I thought..

This is the paraphrased email reply I got from her....thanks for your request for a quote but I spend all day on the phone and don’t have time to reply to emails for quotes.   If you call me I’ll help

Huh⁉️   It’s very possible that I totally don’t understand what a PCC or even a travel agent  does.  I thought giving a potential client quotes for 2 cruises would be something they did all the time.  Was it  because I asked for it via email?  I just prefer email to get the info.  

Was I asking something crazy and out of line?  

What say you?

I also communicate with my PCC via email.  He has responded via email and also picked up the phone to call me in reference to email.  If she spends all day on the phone, lol, she should have picked up the phone upon receiving your email and discussed it with you.  You were not out of line, she was.  I think you may need to request a change in PCC's.

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Looks suspicious to me.  I'm just wondering though why you went to a PCC rather than a TA where you could have included all 3 of your interested cruises.

Roy

Good question Roy.  I’m not opposed to the idea I just haven’t found a travel agent.  We go on one or two cruises a year for the last 10 years and all except one I booked online or by calling into the cruise line.  

There was a recent & long thread debating using a TA or going on your own.  I learned about trying to use a TA who is part of a President’s Circle (sorry, that title may be wrong).   At that time I googled it and searched but came up empty.  I wish we were allowed to recommend agents but I respect the CC policy.  

IMO, I think the PCC has the attitude that her time is more valuable than the clients time.  It would had been nice had she at least called you if she doesn’t like to email. I would try another PCC.  Hope you all get to go on the cruise, sounds wonderful, whatever option you choose, we both still work full time, I know how hard it sometimes is to find coordinating time off.  

7 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I also communicate with my PCC via email.  He has responded via email and also picked up the phone to call me in reference to email.  If she spends all day on the phone, lol, she should have picked up the phone upon receiving your email and discussed it with you.  You were not out of line, she was.  I think you may need to request a change in PCC's.

This. I have shot off emails to my PCC more times than I can count. Usually she will calls me back within a few hours after I email as I think she prefers that method but she has never chided me for an email. She calls, I call, we email... it has never been an issue. I'd get a new PCC or a travel agent if you want to go that route. We have both. 

Wow.

I’d be tempted to email her right back and say something like “ Thank you for your prompt reply. I won’t take up any more of your time. “

Then just go on to work with someone else.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
Spell check attacked. :(
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

IMO, I think the PCC has the attitude that her time is more valuable than the clients time.  It would had been nice had she at least called you if she doesn’t like to email. I would try another PCC.  Hope you all get to go on the cruise, sounds wonderful, whatever option you choose, we both still work full time, I know how hard it sometimes is to find coordinating time off.  

Thank you, we really hope to make it work.  We did a Christmas cruise a few years ago and loved it!   We happen to be at one of those pivotal moments as a family when everything is about to change (one son is getting married in May and another son is headed to RCMP training and will be posted somewhere else in Canada).  So, it is a milestone Christmas.   

2 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Wow.

I’d be tempted to email her right back and say something like “ Thank you for your prompt reply. I won’t take up any more of your time. “

Mans just go on to work with someone else.

That’s exactly what I did.  Very politely just said that I guess I misunderstood her role and I’ll research on my own.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, highlandmom said:

Thank you, we really hope to make it work.  We did a Christmas cruise a few years ago and loved it!   We happen to be at one of those pivotal moments as a family when everything is about to change (one son is getting married in May and another son is headed to RCMP training and will be posted somewhere else in Canada).  So, it is a milestone Christmas.   

With all of that going on, including Christmas, you definitely want to get it right. Get a new PCC or try a travel agency.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, highlandmom said:

That’s exactly what I did.  Very politely just said that I guess I misunderstood her role and I’ll research on my own.  

Good for you! 

Nearly makes you wonder and suspect why they don’t put quotes in writing.

My PCC is fabulous.  He loves that I do email.   He will send me quotes and even do holds for a short period while we reserve vacation time!! He worked over an hour getting us flights that worked recently.  I think you have the wrong PCC.  Ask to change!! 

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Good for you! 

Nearly makes you wonder and suspect why they don’t put quotes in writing.

I was wondering if it was a hesitancy to be held to a given price quote.  But, without being too harsh,  I think it was just laziness.    A disclaimer on a quote something to the effect of “subject to change at any given time” would free her or HA from a price guarantee. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gigi1977 said:

My PCC is fabulous.  He loves that I do email.   He will send me quotes and even do holds for a short period while we reserve vacation time!! He worked over an hour getting us flights that worked recently.  I think you have the wrong PCC.  Ask to change!! 

It sounds like you are in excellent hands with your PCC.   That’s very reassuring.  

Not all PCC's are the same - and yes, you got a dud.  When we still used a PCC, I would often email from work during my break, and always had a quick response by email.  If you want to continue using a PCC, call HAL and ask for a different one, otherwise go with a TA; you'll get OBC and benefits from them that you won't from a PCC.  Best wishes on your son's wedding, and hopefully the other will be posted to a place you'd like to visit!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Thanks 1

Wow, I’d report her to be honest.  We just recently booked 2 cruises with our PCC-started with email and very little phone conversation.  He was excellent at responding and always has been going above & beyond some times.  You definitely got a dud.  

51 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Wow, I’d report her to be honest.  We just recently booked 2 cruises with our PCC-started with email and very little phone conversation.  He was excellent at responding and always has been going above & beyond some times.  You definitely got a dud.  

I don’t think I’ll go as far as reporting her.  I guess at the very least she was honest by saying she wouldn’t do what I asked 😲

I also won’t  “hold it against” HA.   We will still keep those two cruises as very promising options.   She just won’t see any commission  from our cruise ( 2 cabins with 5 people still totals a hefty sum in my world).  Her loss.   

• Like 1

I email, call and even text my TA all the time. Sometimes the texts are as short as 'New Sale - HAL - Let me Know'. She will then research all our current booking and then send me an email, or calls, if it results in any potential savings. 

As for the price. I'm always aware that if we waffle over a few days, things could change. The only price that is guarenteed is the one for cruises on Hold or after Deposit.  

• Thanks 1