Celebrity Press Release (9/20/19) New Ad Campaign: 'Wonder Awaits"

Andy

1 hour ago, oceangoer2 said:

no...not "of the generation" who opted out, smoked up, wasted several years of their life, and now some are on the streets in their older age wondering how it happened.  Yes, early motherhood of 2 had me very busy...didn't much care for the drug generation but did love music and dancing.  Worked in our favour when I look at some of the friends who indulged...their kids had problems too as a result of lifestyle.  And I hardly think it's about Alice....guess"one pill makes you small, etc" escaped you if you listened to the music.  What have the lyrics got to do with cruising I ask again.  Pretty girl, flighty commercial, weak story description, haunting melody...change the channel whenever it comes on so they got the opposite result with us.  Loved Captain Kate and the pretty girl waking up from her 'dream'? 

Of course, I know a lot of people of my generation who enjoyed themselves a bit in their younger days...and they're now lawyers and judges...even some politicians--in BOTH major US parties... as well as tech and wall street billionaires...and successful in all facets of life...

And I've also seen lots of women who dropped away from that due to "early motherhood", pretty much ruining their educational and career opportunities, have lived lives in relative poverty, or at best, working class making it from day-to-day...and THEIR kids have had a load of problems due to that lifestyle...

Of course, none of that really has anything to do with music...You didn't have to be into drugs to appreciate that song...or many of the other great songs of the era that may or may not have to do with drugs...or any other subject for that matter.  A great song is a great song...and "White Rabbit" IS a great song.

These are the lyrics:

"One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a hookah-smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call
Call Alice
When she was just small

When the men on the chessboard
Get up and tell you where to go
And you've just had some kind of mushroom
And your mind is moving low
Go ask Alice
I think she'll know

When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's off with her head
Remember what the dormouse said
Feed your head
Feed your head"

Have you ever actually read Alice in Wonderland?  The lyrics of White Rabbit are actually pretty descriptive of the book.  You can read whatever you want or don't want into it.  If the song is about drugs to you, then so must the book be...and Wizard of Oz...and lots of other children's literature.  I suppose you are of that group that wants to ban or burn books?

I'd like to think that any work of art can be interpreted to mean different things in different contexts.  In the context of cruising, it's a dream, a fantasy, a state of wonder.  I have better things to do than get bent out of shape over what some ad agency or company chooses to use as background music for its ads.

There was some commercial on TV running over the last year or so that used the late, great Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London" as background music...they actually just used the music and left out the lyrics altogether--what a pity--that's one of my favorite songs ever...

Heck, Microsoft used the Stones' "Start Me Up" in one of their ads...You know what that song is about?

Royal Caribbean used Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" in their ads a few years back...And people got bent out of shape about that one as well...Some sample lyrics:

"Here comes Johnny Yen again

With the liquor and drugs
And the flesh machine..."

Yup...another song about drugs...People were up in arms.
Of course, they probably never listened through the whole song until the end...where it goes:

"...Yeah I'm through with sleeping on the
Sidewalk - no more beating my brains
No more beating my brains
With the liquor and drugs"...

Gee, sounds to me like a song about someone wanting to NOT take drugs...

And, of course, neither the drugs nor the positive message was the reason Royal Caribbean used it.  They used it because it's a great song...with a great, memorable hook that's catchy on TV ads where they have 30 seconds to gain and memorialize your interest...
Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

A great song is a great song...and "White Rabbit" IS a great song.

Agree. 

In the last couple of weeks this commercial is being shown much more frequently, along with adverts from several other lines.  I'm guessing this is due to wave season, together with the current virus situation bringing negative publicity.

Regardless, I love the song, and I love the advert itself.  

44 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

A great song is a great song...and "White Rabbit" IS a great song.

B Steve,

I agree 100%.  A great song and an excellent ad.  Genius, as a matter of fact -- people watch it and can't stop talking about it.  And everyone knows it's a Celebrity Ad.  Marketing home run!!

Enjoy!

Kel😉

46 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Of course, I know a lot of people of my generation who enjoyed themselves a bit in their younger days...and they're now lawyers and judges...even some politicians--in BOTH major US parties... as well as tech and wall street billionaires...and successful in all facets of life...

And I've also seen lots of women who dropped away from that due to "early motherhood", pretty much ruining their educational and career opportunities, have lived lives in relative poverty, or at best, working class making it from day-to-day...and THEIR kids have had a load of problems due to that lifestyle...

Of course, none of that really has anything to do with music...You didn't have to be into drugs to appreciate that song...or many of the other great songs of the era that may or may not have to do with drugs...or any other subject for that matter.  A great song is a great song...and "White Rabbit" IS a great song.

These are the lyrics:

"One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a hookah-smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call
Call Alice
When she was just small

When the men on the chessboard
Get up and tell you where to go
And you've just had some kind of mushroom
And your mind is moving low
Go ask Alice
I think she'll know

When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's off with her head
Remember what the dormouse said
Feed your head
Feed your head"

Have you ever actually read Alice in Wonderland?  The lyrics of White Rabbit are actually pretty descriptive of the book.  You can read whatever you want or don't want into it.  If the song is about drugs to you, then so must the book be...and Wizard of Oz...and lots of other children's literature.  I suppose you are of that group that wants to ban or burn books?

I'd like to think that any work of art can be interpreted to mean different things in different contexts.  In the context of cruising, it's a dream, a fantasy, a state of wonder.  I have better things to do than get bent out of shape over what some ad agency or company chooses to use as background music for its ads.

There was some commercial on TV running over the last year or so that used the late, great Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London" as background music...they actually just used the music and left out the lyrics altogether--what a pity--that's one of my favorite songs ever...

Heck, Microsoft used the Stones' "Start Me Up" in one of their ads...You know what that song is about?

Royal Caribbean used Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" in their ads a few years back...And people got bent out of shape about that one as well...Some sample lyrics:

"Here comes Johnny Yen again

With the liquor and drugs
And the flesh machine..."

Yup...another song about drugs...People were up in arms.
Of course, they probably never listened through the whole song until the end...where it goes:

"...Yeah I'm through with sleeping on the
Sidewalk - no more beating my brains
No more beating my brains
With the liquor and drugs"...

Gee, sounds to me like a song about someone wanting to NOT take drugs...

And, of course, neither the drugs nor the positive message was the reason Royal Caribbean used it.  They used it because it's a great song...with a great, memorable hook that's catchy on TV ads where they have 30 seconds to gain and memorialize your interest...

I take your point(s) and the subtle suggestion:

"And I've also seen lots of women who dropped away from that due to "early motherhood", pretty much ruining their educational and career opportunities, have lived lives in relative poverty, or at best, working class making it from day-to-day...and THEIR kids have had a load of problems due to that lifestyle"... ....LOL,

Quite a lengthy defense of a 'commercial'....hit a nerve did I?  No judgement on my part re drugs interfering with one's success, just have seen SOME who didn't fare well in life with a direct connection to 'early drug use'.  And also some who have lived a life OF success not using drugs, whether attributable to that or not...or just good judgement all along life's highway.  Lucky me in choices made, working, mothering, AND going to school after DH graduated, while trying to provide some example to the 'kids'.  Still don't like the song with obvious drug references.  I agree with the person who is trying to counsel young people involved in the 'scene'.

• 2 weeks later...

(Forgive me if this has been discussed before.  I don't get over to this board too often.)

White Rabbit (aka Go Ask Alice) is well known as being strongly related to taking drugs.  Read the lyrics.  In fact, Grace Slick admits she wrote it during or right after an LSD trip.

I'm guessing that this brilliant bit of marketing was  thought up by some 23 year old advertising agency executive.   

Edited by Host Kat
Threads merged.
  • Thanks 1

I guess I wasn't perusing the boards when the ad came out. Did no one on Cruise Critic ever read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland? It doesn't matter that Grace probably wrote it on a trip. Other than the last line, which becomes the title of a book YEARS later, it's a perfect summary of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. As is the ad... The weirdness everyone sees in the ad isn't an acid trip; that's Lewis Carroll's imagination (although there were some pretty scary herbs/drugs/etc. imported into Victorian England).

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Frenchkona said:

That pretty much answers your question, as immature as it was. 

Immature?????   WTH?

I lived and participated in the days of sex, drugs and rock 'n roll.  "White Rabbit" was like the national anthem for those people.

• Like 3

It’s really getting frustrating reading new threads covering topics that have been beaten into submission many times before. It’s not enough to tell someone to use the search function if they do not know the search function exists. Not everyone knows all of the ins and outs of what Cruise Critic has to offer, so perhaps the more experienced cruisers can help out by not answering duplicate threads over and over, but rather helping to educate others so that the number of these duplicate threads may be reduced over time.

I know we are all anxious to help out wherever we can, and I applaud all those who contribute to the success of this website. If we re-focus and channel our efforts at education, perhaps we will see increased success.

Just a thought

• Like 4

17 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

Immature?????   WTH?

I lived and participated in the days of sex, drugs and rock 'n roll.  "White Rabbit" was like the national anthem for those people.

That is very true.  recently our 36 yr old son heard the commercial and made a comment as to now he knows why we sail with Celebrity........

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

It’s really getting frustrating reading new threads covering topics that have been beaten into submission many times before.

Just a thought

You don't have to read the thread, you can skip over it......

Just a thought.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Because the song gets people talking about it over, and over, and over .............   (even the whiners who are complaining about the duplication are playing right into their hands, lol! )

Smart marketing!

Edited by sippican
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1