Celebrity Press Release (9/20/19) New Ad Campaign: 'Wonder Awaits"

Andy

13 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I, for one, would never go or not go on a cruise because of an ad. I go because of the on board experience. Ads don't tell the whole story of any product. They are meant so people will remember them. I believe, in that sense, it has worked. I just can't believe that the contents of an ad would force someone to alter their preferences.

We don't either. We also would or wouldn't book a cruise line or itinerary based on someones positive or negative posts/reviews. 

Edited by davekathy

I grew up w/ the Jefferson Airplane, Doors, Beatles etc. LOVED the music and never did any drugs my entire life. I would never let a song interfere w/ who I do business with. As someone else said, there are other cruise lines. I do believe "people" are getting way too sensitive. Life is too short.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Water709 said:

Has anyone seen the new TV commercials for Celebrity, which have the old Jefferson Airplane song, "Go Ask Alice," as the background music?  This is a song about drugs, a girl named Alice taking illegal drugs and also supplying (dealing) the illegal pills as well.  The commercial even has the lyrics playing along to the images, which mention "one pill makes you taller, and one pill makes you small," and at the end it plays "Go ask Alice, while she's still small..."  As it shows a woman enjoying a deck chair, opening her eyes and you see a fleeting image of a female captain.  

I find this commercial to be offensive; why would Celebrity choose a vintage song about illegal drugs to advertise their cruise experience?!  This makes me want to NEVER take another cruise on Celebrity.  If the marketing people did not realize this song was a song about illegal drugs, plenty of the people who might book one of their cruises surely remembers this song from the late 60's or early 70's.  There was also a book and a movie by the same name.  All about drug abuse.

My DH and I have sailed with Celebrity several times and are Elite status.  Who exactly is Celebrity marketing this experience to?  Former or current drug addicts?  As the parent of an adult child who is battling addiction I find this commercial to be in really bad taste.  At least the music is.  The images are fine, very enticing.  But a drug song???  Is this part of the "Revolution?"  Our last cruise two months ago after the "Revolution" on Summit was disappointing, and now this music to sell their cruise experience... just makes me wonder where the company is going with their new image.  

I thought the same thing...but I think the moral to the story is that cruising takes you to another plane, just like the drugs did to Alice...still, I don't think it was the right thing to do...jmo

The point of the ad is to get people interested in cruising on X.  I think that they missed the point.  I love the song, and yes I know what it is about.  The song on it's own is fine.  The song on an ad campaign?? 

If I didn't know what Eden was, how the hell am I suppose to know that this is on a ship ??  X is trying to convince me that if I sail with them this is how my "TRIP" will be??  I may have the beverage pkg when I sail, but I have never been on a "TRIP" like that on a ship.

The pint is to get people to cruise on X, and I think that they missed that point.  The print ads actually show more about "life on board" than the TV ad.  A hit and a miss in my opinion.

• Like 3

WOW -- I just watched the commercial and was amazed at how weird it is.  I thought maybe it was just background music.  The song is the commercial.  I also am big Grace Slick fan and like the song very much.  I don't get it - what does cruising have to do with taking a bad trip?

The absolute best song Celebrity ever used was "Simply the Best" performed by Tina Turner.  When I hear the first few beats of that song, I am immediately transported to the Mercury.  There was a ship's group that had a singer who could absolutely nail that song.  At a farewell talk the band preformed it live as the CD called out members of all the different departments to parade through the theater and one to the stage.  The crowd was on their feet as the waiters, stewards, bartenders, and others were called out.  Still brings tears to my eyes, it was so beautifully done.   "Simply the Best"  

Somehow I don't think White Rabbit will have the same affect on very many  

• Like 7

Here is my feeling on this but it might offend some just like the song so I apologize to those folks.  Only Grace Slick knows what she meant by her lyrics.  The rest of us have perceptions and interpretations  of what we think it means just like any other song.  Some associate it with the drug expansion culture of that time.  Others do not. Look up the Wiki page for it- quite interesting.  There are numerous TV series, movies and ads that have used this song.  It was quite popular.  Celebrity joins a long list.  If you feel Celebrity is insensitive in its advertising because of your own perception of the lyrics that is really not being fair to Celebrity.  It is just an ad.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, citronella said:

Hahaha........either the crowd in marketing don’t know what the song was about or they’re pitching to a bunch of old hippies.

Either old time hippies who have not burned out, or "wannabes" or maybe new ones!

Eden theme went nowhere so now a  re-boot.

Fact that the 60s  cruises are all selling  out is  probably not lost on marketing and revenue teams!

see you all in EDEN for wine and cheese, acoustic guitar and  kumbaya!

Well the ad has people talking about Celebrity...good or bad. Years ago when learning marketing,  a prof showed us commercials and asked us which ones were our favorites. Many of us picked the warm fuzzy one or the popular one but could not name the product the ad was trying to sell. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brattle said:

I grew up w/ the Jefferson Airplane, Doors, Beatles etc. LOVED the music and never did any drugs my entire life. I would never let a song interfere w/ who I do business with. As someone else said, there are other cruise lines. I do believe "people" are getting way too sensitive. Life is too short.

Many are way too sensitive about such lyrics.  Was on a NCL cruise and a Beatles band played With a Little Help from My Friends, Obla Dee Obla Da, and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.  Did not think they were urging drug use.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mugtech said:

Many are way too sensitive about such lyrics.  Was on a NCL cruise and a Beatles band played With a Little Help from My Friends, Obla Dee Obla Da, and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.  Did not think they were urging drug use.

just curious -- have you seen the commercial?  It is far stranger than just the lyrics -- some of the visuals are downright disturbing.  It doesn't bother me, but I have to wonder what they were smoking when they decided it was a good idea for a campaign.  

17 minutes ago, CRUZBUDS said:

just curious -- have you seen the commercial?  It is far stranger than just the lyrics -- some of the visuals are downright disturbing.  It doesn't bother me, but I have to wonder what they were smoking when they decided it was a good idea for a campaign.  

I love the commercial, which visuals did you find disturbing? We thought it was really cool. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, CRUZBUDS said:

I have seen the commercial and call it Alice in Cruise Ship Wonderland. That isn't what I usually look for in a cruise. Perhaps it will appeal to a much younger generation than my generation.  I wonder if Edge is attracting a much younger generation of passengers in significant numbers as compared to Solstice Class ships, for example. Just curious.

Edited by Silvery Seas Cruiser

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Which visuals? In what way? I've seen the commercial several times and there's nothing that I've noticed that comes close to being disturbing.

And nothing that comes close to any experience I’ve had on a cruise ship.

False advertising.

What a complete fantasy of any cruise ship experience. 

Lets get real here!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CRUZBUDS said:

Yes, saw the commercial twice while watching the Phillies lose to Washington, did not find it strange.  Then again I like the Electric Koolaid Acid Test as performed on the Anthem of the Seas. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, registrar said:

False advertising.

What a complete fantasy of any cruise ship experience. 

Lets get real here!

LOL. If you are looking for truth in advertising, the last thing you should be doing is looking at TV commercials.

51 minutes ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

I wonder if Edge is attracting a much younger generation of passengers in significant numbers as compared to Solstice Class ships, for example. 

Absolutely!

I am one of them.  🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mugtech said:

What did you do with it?

I flushed it, I would never do anything illegal 😁😁😁

i cruised for many many years remember back in 80’s cruise director said to either smoke or flush anything you had before going thru customs , I doubt anyone flushed anything.

Edited by George C

42 minutes ago, registrar said:

Really....  I did and loved it! 🙂

edendinner13.thumb.jpg.ca290f653af8079a30f7fbdb89060518.jpg

image.thumb.png.ffad8fddf66078c420545e0a1fa39059.png

image.thumb.png.1ff114fe4291102754e63e5a6b8a06df.png

image.png.989d839987170ab1a8b3fff7b6b510cf.png

image.png.20f1e43f256944253260d535af09e99f.png

Not Captain Kate, but just as nice to wake up from a dream and see him there 😉

image.png.dac1a1f6e7687981aacb3295cf5662d3.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 3