Guaranteed cabins

We are on the Allure in October and we received ours in stages.  First we received our muster station but no deck or cabin number.  When our cruise docs were ready we received our deck number but no cabin number and then at the thirty day mark we finally received our cabin number. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, splendoraway said:

We are on the Allure in October and we received ours in stages.  First we received our muster station but no deck or cabin number.  When our cruise docs were ready we received our deck number but no cabin number and then at the thirty day mark we finally received our cabin number. 

Did you use the website or the app?  We are 80 days out and received our muster station D04 but not our deck or cabin number. 

3 minutes ago, mcgore83 said:

Did you use the website or the app?  We are 80 days out and received our muster station D04 but not our deck or cabin number. 

When our edocs were ready (around the 45 day mark) I immediately looked and saw the deck number.   From reading other posters it was mentioned that cabin numbers are usually are posted around the thirty day mark.  I received an email from RC at exactly thirty days that I had new Guest Vacation documents and thats when I saw our cabin number.

• Like 1

It totally varies. For my upcoming one, I seem to have gotten it last week. I've been working a lot so I haven't been following as closely.

The assignment is ... ok. I like my position in the ship though not the deck. I could definitely be assigned worse. I'm under other cabins and in a decent part of the ship. This is my second time doing it. 

I think in next time if the price difference isn't huge, I'll pick my stateroom but I also might do this again. I'll base it all on price and how much I care on a specific cruise or based on who I am traveling with.

Edited by Wanderista

Seems like it is taking longer and longer. They now have the Royal up program to unload  unsold cabins. They may also be waiting for  the supply of cabins to dwindle as once your cabin is assigned you are able to switch to any other available same cat cabin, if you live in North America. But then again Royal is hard to figure out at times. happy cruising 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wanderista said:

It totally varies. For my upcoming one, I seem to have gotten it last week. I've been working a lot so I haven't been following as closely.

The assignment is ... ok. I like my position in the ship though not the deck. I could definitely be assigned worse. I'm under other cabins and in a decent part of the ship. This is my second time doing it. 

I think in next time if the price difference isn't huge, I'll pick my stateroom but I also might do this again. I'll base it all on price and how much I care on a specific cruise or based on who I am traveling with.

This is my first time doing this and it was a huge savings so I did it. This is also my second time cruising with RC. I looked online and the good thing about it Harmony balcony cabins are not blocked by life boats which is a good thing

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Canmilitarywife said:

This is my first time doing this and it was a huge savings so I did it. This is also my second time cruising with RC. I looked online and the good thing about it Harmony balcony cabins are not blocked by life boats which is a good thing

Yep, saving money is never a bad thing. The cruise I'm going on is ... really cheap period, so I got a deal.

Because cruising involves planning with other people, I don't know what the next will be, but I'm open-minded. 

In two times of doing it, I would not say either room is bad but we'll see what I say when I get back. It's "ok enough".

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 3:29 PM, Canmilitarywife said:

How long after paying your cruise off will they assign your guaranteed balcony cabin? First time ever purchasing a guaranteed cabin. Sorry if this has been asked before but I tried searching.

It's an absolute lottery - we've a few cruises that were all booked around June this year and the Allure one in March was allocated within 7 days of booking ( only deposit paid at that time, although fully paid for a month or so later ). The other ones all show 'GTR' ( or whatever the code is ) and they're only a few months later on!

I work on the principle it's only a cabin that we spend little or no time in, we've paid less for it and i guess one day the guarantee 'devil' will bite us on the behind, but at the moment ( a fair few cruises so far ) the guarantee 'fairy' has looked after us very well!

touch wood it may continue as such!

good luck!

• Like 1

We've played the guarantee game a few times and have never been disappointed. As a committed "price snob" it's kind of in my wheel house. In the old days, we used to get assigned almost immediately and then played the switch within category game.

We have one booked for Oct 19, about 27 days out and still unassigned.  I figure the upgrades get assigned last. A theory I made up to make waiting more palatable. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mjldvlks said:

We've played the guarantee game a few times and have never been disappointed. As a committed "price snob" it's kind of in my wheel house. In the old days, we used to get assigned almost immediately and then played the switch within category game.

We have one booked for Oct 19, about 27 days out and still unassigned.  I figure the upgrades get assigned last. A theory I made up to make waiting more palatable. 

Does Royal still allow the “switch within category” game once you receive your cabin assignment?

thanks

Tom

10 minutes ago, TomC21 said:

Does Royal still allow the “switch within category” game once you receive your cabin assignment?

thanks

Tom

Technically yes, but they have been making assignments known very late in the game, so effectively they have pretty much shut that down.

• Thanks 1

We are sailing on the Explorer for Thanksgiving - booked back in January - inside guarantee.   Had our room assigned by May (well before final payment) even though our sailing isn't until November.  I was very surprised getting a room assignment that early.  Also surprised they are allowing guarantees for 3 or 4 in a room, in the past we never saw this.  Guarantee rooms were for 2 people.

Have a guarantee for Explorer for next Thanksgiving (2020) and it still showing just GTY.

Along this same topic..  can they change your room assignment once you get a room?   All I booked was a guarantee so it wouldn't surprise me, just wondering if anyone has had this happen.   I'm just happy to be cruising!

3 minutes ago, Gaynors said:

Along this same topic..  can they change your room assignment once you get a room?   All I booked was a guarantee so it wouldn't surprise me, just wondering if anyone has had this happen.   I'm just happy to be cruising!

Yes, they can change the assignment, but it's rare.