Need help picking cruise date

Taxman2001

I am trying to decide between a cruise on my kids spring break in March or one at the end of August before they head back to school.  The itinerary for the August cruise is a double dip at CC, which I prefer to the March cruise, which hits Nassau and CC.  My concern about the August cruise (both leave from Port Canaveral) is hurricanes.  I know that hurricanes were a problem this year.  Want to get peoples thoughts on whether I should chance the August cruise or play it safe with the March cruise.

Thanks.

Charles

In 50 cruises, at least half August-October, we have been impacted by a hurricane once.  In our case Sept 2017 Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) was closed when we were due back on our first cruise.  Seven day Eastern Caribbean turned into 10 day Western.  Plus next cruise was officially shortened to 4 days.

Extra days were basically free and you had to ask to add gratuities back on.  Drink packages were extended and internet was half price.  For the 4 day we could either cancel for 100% back plus some airline credit or sail with 50% back as refundable onboard credit and 50% back as a future cruise credit.  So second cruise was free.  This is pretty typical of what happens in a hurricane - the cruise line does a decent job of compensating you.  In our case we were already on the ship and still got the second cruise free.  Cruise lines worked with passengers to help them fly out of Cancun if they needed to get back.  People living in Florida that didn't have power were given balcony rooms for $400 if they wanted to stay aboard for the next four days.

Note that this year the same thing happened - cruises extended or cut short.  So it can happen.  We've been doing this since 2004 and have been impacted once.  In March you can get snow preventing you from getting to the ship.  Always fly in at least a day early, buy insurance and don't sweat the small stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm always ready for a break from winter dreariness, so spring gets my vote.  It seems like in August, you have the option of swimming, fun in the sun, etc. The kids have probably had fun all summer anyway, so why not do something fun in the middle of the school year?