Cunard and Children

Emoliash

7 hours ago, Emoliash said:

I have just put a 2 night QE2 cruise on hold, just a two nighter from Melb to Sydney but I am thinking of taking the children. Has anyone sailed on Cunard with children? Will they be totally bored?

QE2 is a lovely ship but Cunard is not designed for children.  You will need to entertain them yourself.  It is only two nights. Depending on their ages, eat at the buffet rather than MDR. Play board games in the Winter Garden, and shuffle board on deck.

On the Cunard site they say this about children, sound like they are well catered for to me, particularly if it’s just two days. Go for it I say, take a Chance. 😉

Children's facilities

• PriceIncluded
  • Children of all ages are welcome on our ships, and our dedicated clubs offer activities and entertainment. These include arts and crafts, sporting activities, play areas, computer games and much more. They can make friends with other children at The Play Zone, for two- to seven-year-olds, and The Zone which is ideal for eight- to 17-year-olds. Our youth staff will supervise your children, organise events, activities and competitions, and even ‘excursions’ to the theatre or cinema on board.

Having travelled on QM2, there are adequate childrens club facilities and QE would also have them.  Sure no rock climbing walls or waters slides, but who needs them?  If you do, try Royal Caribbean or P&O Australia or Carnival.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

On 9/22/2019 at 4:34 PM, Emoliash said:

Thank you we probably will. It’s a little bit expensive but I am just wanting a taster of Cunard not sure I could do a longer one due to all the formal nights.

To the annoyance of the usual  ‘Cunarders’ when these ships are in Aussie waters they never seem to be overly formal anyway.

We did a week on QM2 last year to Tassie and managed a balance of formal and casual nights. It’s always your choice 😉

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 4:34 PM, Emoliash said:

Thank you we probably will. It’s a little bit expensive but I am just wanting a taster of Cunard not sure I could do a longer one due to all the formal nights.

We sailed on Cunard years ago with our kids and the kids club was one of the best we've seen. I also wouldn't be put off by the formal nights because we'd just go to the buffet and eat there, and it was spectacular.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 4:07 PM, Porky55 said:

To the annoyance of the usual  ‘Cunarders’ when these ships are in Aussie waters they never seem to be overly formal anyway.

We did a week on QM2 last year to Tassie and managed a balance of formal and casual nights. It’s always your choice 😉

Correct, when we did QM2, Sydney to HK, a couple of years ago, 500 Aussies boarded in Sydney and Brisvegas.   Some Cunarders doing the Worldie complained to Customer Services re uncouth dress standards of the Colonials.  Dress codes were constantly reinforced on ship's news and by signage at various venues, limited success.  We had 6 Brit Cunarders on our MDR table, they often whinged about the Aussies.  Such is life.  I loved the ship, but some of the pax were not my cup of tea.

Edited by NSWP

I sailed on QM2 a few years ago with my daughter (then 8 years old) and my mum. It was a bucket list dream fulfilled, if only for 4 nights. The kids club was awesome, there were only 8 kids on board!! So many nannies in the kids club looking after them. The ship is not kid oriented, it’s true, but there was never anyone using the indoor heated pool after dinner, which my daughter absolutely loved. She also loved the high tea and the planetarium - something unique that you’ll never see on other ships. Go and experience the elegance, your kids will love it! 

On QM2 they have kennels for about 20 dogs up top.  Only used on the Transatlantics, so they could put the rug rats in the area normally reserved for fur babies, you would not hear them up there.  When we did QM2, Sydney to HK a couple of years go, there were no dogs, the dog area was full of suitcases from the World Cruise pax.

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I am not biting. 😋

I hope not, or I would have to ring the Council Ranger or RSPCA.  Just don't bite off more than you can chew, young Mic.

Do not worry about young Brian, he is half pork pie eater and half spaghetti eater you know, a 'Britalian.'🤣

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I hope not, or I would have to ring the Council Ranger or RSPCA.  Just don't bite off more than you can chew, young Mic.

Do not worry about young Brian, he is half pork pie eater and half spaghetti eater you know, a 'Britalian.'🤣

Yep, we have good banter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

They're the worst kind.As well as whinging,they can't drive and can't queue.Me being the exception of course.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 1