Baltic Cruises 2020

Having cruised around the med quite a few times now, I was looking at the Baltic cruises on Explorer 2 for next year. The itineraries look interesting and the two I'm considering are

Baltic Charms 20th June  - Oslo, Gdyniak, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, Visby, Warnemunde, Kalundborg or Baltic Explorer 11th July - Skagen, Kiel, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, Warnemunde, Copenhagen.

I know both are similar itineraries and price and would welcome other cruisers opinions if they have travelled on either route before and the highlights. My (wife's) biggest concern is the general weather day to day and sea state. Having been in the Med for the last 6/7 summers and enjoying great weather and calm seas, are we going to be able to swap for the same !

I would welcome any advice/experiences other cruisers have had to help us with our decision.

We did Baltic couple years ago and it was magnificent - the highlight is of course St Petersburg, for which we did a 2 day Grand Tour with Alla Tours - first class.  The other city that impressed was Stockholm. We went July and the weather was great and sea mainly calm. Helsinki was also very nice, but we were there on a Sunday, only the church was open, apart from a few cafes.  Can strongly recommend the  cruise whichever itenerary you choose.

Thank you Ormy, it’s advice like yours that’s invaluable when your trying to pick through excursion after excursion. I see that in St Petersburg it seems to be split between Alla tours and official Marella ones, what made you pick Alla ? I’m also told the excursions are quite expensive because of visas etc ? 

Thanks again for the reply. 

Hi coachman, we are also contemplating a Baltic cruise as Marella will not be sailing from Newcastle after next year. We saw some relations who were on the August sailing this year and they had a fabulous time, they loved all the ports and did DIY everywhere except St.P where they did a ship tour as this suited their needs.  

We are on E2 next week so would like to checkout the ship before booking but will make a decision when we get back.

1 hour ago, dronnygirl said:

Hi coachman, we are also contemplating a Baltic cruise as Marella will not be sailing from Newcastle after next year. We saw some relations who were on the August sailing this year and they had a fabulous time, they loved all the ports and did DIY everywhere except St.P where they did a ship tour as this suited their needs.  

We are on E2 next week so would like to checkout the ship before booking but will make a decision when we get back.

news to me, have you a link to the announcement ?

With Alla Tours you get to see just everything - small group in minibus with local guide and two full days taking in everything, not cheap but only likely to visit this wonderful city once so you don't want to miss a thing, lunch provided both days plus all entry fees. The ship excursions, when we visited, we're not half as comprehensive as Alla Tours. If you do this cruise you must do a private tour in St Petersburg.

3 hours ago, coachman8 said:

I see that in St Petersburg it seems to be split between Alla tours and official Marella ones, what made you pick Alla ? I’m also told the excursions are quite expensive because of visas etc ? 

You don't need a visa if you are arriving on a cruise ship which is only staying 48hrs.  However to go on-shore you do need to use a tour company that is licensed by the russian authorities  - and essentially they all will be.  Note that is what Marella does too (ie use a local licensed firm and, presumably, adding a mark-up for arranging it). 

18 hours ago, coachman8 said:

Having cruised around the med quite a few times now, I was looking at the Baltic cruises on Explorer 2 for next year. The itineraries look interesting and the two I'm considering are

Baltic Charms 20th June  - Oslo, Gdyniak, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, Visby, Warnemunde, Kalundborg or Baltic Explorer 11th July - Skagen, Kiel, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, Warnemunde, Copenhagen.

I know both are similar itineraries and price and would welcome other cruisers opinions if they have travelled on either route before and the highlights. My (wife's) biggest concern is the general weather day to day and sea state. Having been in the Med for the last 6/7 summers and enjoying great weather and calm seas, are we going to be able to swap for the same !

I would welcome any advice/experiences other cruisers have had to help us with our decision.

Done the Baltic 4 times - we think it's great and luckily have always had good weather. Apart from St P as someone else said all other ports are, in the main, easily DiY with some advice and research.

Option 1

Baltic Charms 20th June  - Oslo, Gdyniak, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, Visby, Warnemunde, Kalundborg

Oslo - only been once and loved it - so much so that we've booked another cruise next year which has an overnight in Oslo so that we can have a more leisurely explore.  The Vigland Park is amazing - free entry and accessible by tram or Metro from the centre.  You can walk over the top the Concert Hall - very intetesting building.  Lots to see.

Gdynia - probably docked here for Gdansk.  Perhaps best option here is to do half day trip into Gdansk which is beautiful.  Flattened in the war but reconstructed faithfully using traditional crafts .   We did that last time - this time may do again and then spend some time looking round Gydnia - but not sure yet how close the dock is to town - not researched that one yet.

St P - just amazing.  Only ever done ship's trips although read list of positive reviews of private tour firms.  Top sites for me for a first visit would be Catherine Palace, the Hermitage (preferably including the Gold Room), the Church on the Spilled Blood.  But most everything is worth seeing there!

Helsinki we really like.  I've heard some people say they weren't so impressed but we have a plan of things we like to visit. Take the tourist team from the centre (or walk - quite a way though) to the nearest stop to the Sibelius Park. Fabulous sculpture there of Sibelius then head out to the water's edge and look for the Regatta Cafe 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189934-d1596888-Reviews-Cafe_Regatta-Helsinki_Uusimaa.html

It's too difficult to describe but quite an experience! We had coffee by the lake 5hen went inside to look at all the 'stuff' inside.  Eclectic doesn't cover it!  Free coffee top ups - not the best coffee but the cakes were good and it's something very different,

Then walk back to the centre via the Rock Church (beautiful - hewn out of the Rock- simple but impressive) back to Senate Square then to the Harbour.  Interesting market there - fast food available.  There's the Uspenski Cathedral close by .  You wil see it standing high overlooking the harbour.  It's  an orthodox church which is so ornate and different from the Rock Church.  Loads to see. 

Stockholm we like.  The Vasa Musuem us excellent.  The old town of Gamla Stan (quite small area) and Palace area are worth exploring. The sail away through the Archipelago is perhaps the best but for me especially if there's a sunset.

Not done Visby. 

Warnemunde is a pretty seaside town - if you're berthed in Warnemunde rather than across the river (although I think they call that berth Rostock) you can just walk off into town.  Pretty riverside with cafes etc.  Wide expanse of beach too.   The train into Rostock is just parallel to the berth so easy to do a DiY excursion there if you wish.  If you do, don't exit the station in Rostock but go to the platform for the tram which will take you to the market square in the centre of town on your rail ticket.

Kalundborg is a stop they use for Copenhagen.  If you want to go there (probably the best option if you've not been there before) then I think you may be in for a ship's transfer which is about an hour plus journey.   I'd do a 'Copenhagen on Your Own' one so you can use your time to do what you want.  A river trip from Nyhavn is good but plenty to see here.  Kalundborg is an ok town but doesn't compare with Copenhagen. 

Option 2

or Baltic Explorer 11th July - Skagen, Kiel, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, Warnemunde, Copenhagen.

Not done Skagen

Kiel - thought we'd enjoy the Kiel Canal but found it rather uninteresting with flat land to each side and nothing much to see.  Kiel itself we went to the train station and went to Lubeck for the day.  Nice town which we enjoyed.  Can't comment on Kiel itself as we saw little of it.

Tallinn - a gem.  If thus was in the first itinerary I would have said that itinerary #1 won hands down.  But thus is a beautiful old town which you can explore independently.  Charming.

So difficult call - disadvantage of #1 no Tallinn and not berthed directly in Copenhagen.

Disadvantage of #2 no Oslo also Gdansk and Warnemunde in itinetary 1 are lovely and I'm not that enthusiastic about the Kiel Canal transit in #2

Don't know if that's really helped.  Anything else I can help with just ask.

Edited by kruzseeka

coachman8 there are pros and cons for both of these itineraries.

Baltic cruises are wonderful despite the potential for mixed weather, but they are also tiring as cities day after day can be exhausting. If your energy levels are high, the choice is yours to make, but #1 has Visby after 4 city days.

It is a pretty little town, not a city, ideal for a relaxing much less full-on day than yet another city. It was a bit of a relief for everyone to have a quieter day and no tour is necessary.

Whichever you choose, try not to book anything in SPB  for the evening between day 1 and day 2 as you will likely be too tired to enjoy anything.

Private tours are the way to go in SPB, likely  no cheaper than ship shorex but what a difference in what you see, photo stops and the small number of people you tour with.  No visa necessary if you go with a local operator. There is a load of info on this board which will help with other ports too:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

Warnemunde we took the train the short distance into Rostock, returned for lunch onboard and spent the afternoon in lovely Warnemunde itself.  One of our best days. (It wasn't on a Baltic itinerary, it was a Fred German itinerary)

Also look at eg whatsinport, skyscanner and Tripadvisor. All are excellent.

And use the SEARCH facility on the above Northern Europe forum to pull up your ports for info, saves scrolling through many threads which are of no interest.

And once you decide which to go for, join or start a Roll Call for info exchange and/or to arrange a private SPB tour.  Local companies will also tell you if others from your ship and sailing have already booked, as not all pax are cruisecritic members and may have contacted them directly. They are expensive for two persons, less so if there are others sharing with you.

Edited by edinburgher

Have only now noticed I made a mistake on the above post, and as I can no longer edit it, I am adding this:

Also look at eg whatsinport, skyscanner and Tripadvisor

Should have read:

Also look at eg whatsinport, CRUISEMAPPER and Tripadvisor

• 3 months later...
On 9/21/2019 at 2:29 PM, coachman8 said:

We have done a Baltic cruise twice in St Petersburgh  we used Denrus for private tour only 10 of us on minibus  booked online no problems at all  saw much more than people on cruiseline tour as we were able to get around better.All other stops we just did our own thing .

Edited by busby