For those who have done Asian cruises

EllieinNJ

I also posted this on the Princess forum in the past but would like to hear from NCL people.

Want to do an Asian cruise in 2021 but don't want to spend 21 hours flying.  Would like to break up the flights.  Spend a day or two somewhere interesting and then continue on to Singapore.  Any suggestions?

Also are there many Americans on Asian cruises or mostly Asians and Aussies?

My family did the fifteen night Holland America’s Westerdam sailing from Singapore in January 2019. We flew from JFK to Frankfurt, Germany on Singapore Airlines. The first flight segment was seven hours. We had a two hour layover followed by the twelve hour flight segment from Frankfurt to Singapore. Singapore and the Westerdam cruise to Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam was beautiful. It was so nice that we are returning to Singapore in January 2020 to do an eight night sailing on the Norwegian Jade to Malaysia and Thailand. If your concerned about the long flight I would check with Singapore Airlines if you can stay over at least one night in Frankfurt to break up the flights. It’s a long journey but absolutely worth it. Vietnam was interesting and the people were very nice. Tourism is big business in that area of Asia.

From the UK were flying Emirates Airline to Singapore and taking advantage of their stop over package where they will put you up in a hotel in Dubai for a night for little extra cost. This breaks up the journey and lets us have some sightseeing time in a new place.

When we flew to New Zealand we did a similar thing with Singapore Airlines except broke the journey for a night in Singapore.

Last Nov we went from JFK to Dubai on Emirates and stayed in Dubai for a couple days to adjust ourselves with time zone change. Then we flew on Emirates to Singapore for the cruise to Sydney. After a few days in Sydney we flew back to Dubai on Emirates and stayed there for 5 days before heading back to JFK also on Emirates.

The whole fare was approx $1800 pp (flex fare) and the economy was the best we have been in, in great many long haul carriers we have been on. All flights on Emirates were on A380.

3 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Also are there many Americans on Asian cruises or mostly Asians and Aussies?

On the Jewel 12 night Singapore to Hong Kong in March 2019 there were more Brits than Americans with a good amount of Aussies and Kiwis and Canadians.  Asians were mostly Chinese but a fair amount of Filipinos, Vietnamese and Malaysians.  We love Asian foods, thought the variety and quality of the food was the best on any cruise anywhere.  Plenty of choices to be had.

The make up of cruises in Asia depends on the length and itinerary.

Longer A->B cruises within Asia, Singapore to Yokohama for example will have many Antipodeans, fewer North Americans and fewer still Asiatics.

Shorter A->B  cruises within Asia, Yokohama-Shanghai OR Shorter A-A cruises within Asia, Yokohama-Yokohama will have many, many more Asiatics.

A longer Asia-America cruise; Yokohama-Seattle, will be predominately North Americans.

I’ve done this twice.

Both times I actually looked for longer flights that had long overlays in different countries.

first time Canada to japan, we stopped in Taiwan  for about 7 hrs. We arrived early in am, found a place to crash for couple hours, then went on a free half day tour provided by airport.

second time, Canada to Philippines. Stopped in Xiamen China, there the airline gave us 1 of 3 free options, we choose the full day hop on off bus tour.

both times I really appreciated seeing another place, even if just one day.  Yes we were tired, but it was worth it and I would do it again. 

My best advice would be if arrive too early, do NOT leave the air side of airport till a decent hour. It is much easier to find a nice spot to rest for a couple hours on the air side.