When do the Captain's Circle Benefits actually start?

Ken the cruiser

After my DW completes our next Princess cruise, she will have accumulated 49 cruise days, 1 day short of reaching Platinum. So if our following cruise was a packaged cruise with only one booking number but made up of 3 legs, will she become Platinum after the first leg of the packaged cruise or at the end of the entire cruise?

This is what Note 2 says on the Captain's Circle Benefits page:  "Members are eligible for a higher tier on the next cruise following completion of necessary cruises and/or days. Land portion of cruisetour does not apply."

Just trying to understand the rules.

One 21 day cruise (one voyage number) equals 1 cruise credit (2 if traveling in full suite)

Three 7 day cruises (three voyage numbers) equals 3 cruise credits (6 if traveling in full suite for all 3 voyages). 

You will not achieve the next level of benefit until completion of the singular voyage. So it only matters in how it was booked. If booked as 1 voyage then after that voyage. If booked as 3 consecutive voyages then upon completion of the first would this person achieve their next tier. 

Hope this helps. 

Another reason I asked this is with regards to grand voyages, such as the 58 day one around South America, or one of the other much longer "segmented" world cruises. If we were to book one of those much longer cruises under one booking number, would we have to wait until our next Princess cruise to reap the benefits we gained from taking one of these much longer cruises?

Also, when it says for example you are Ruby, "from your 4th-5th cruise credit", does that mean you are Ruby after you completed you 3rd cruise or 4th cruise? We get the 31-50 cruise days. Just curious about whether one made Ruby after completing the 3rd or 4th cruise.

Again, we're just trying to understand the rules.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

45 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

After my DW completes our next Princess cruise, she will have accumulated 49 cruise days, 1 day short of reaching Platinum. So if our following cruise was a packaged cruise with only one booking number but made up of 3 legs, will she become Platinum after the first leg of the packaged cruise or at the end of the entire cruise?

This is what Note 2 says on the Captain's Circle Benefits page:  "Members are eligible for a higher tier on the next cruise following completion of necessary cruises and/or days. Land portion of cruisetour does not apply."

@masterty is wrong.  This needs to be corrected and clarified.  If you booked a 21-night voyage and that is simply what it was, all you get is 1 cruise credit and 21 days.  But, what @masterty doesn't seem to understand is that you booked a voyage that is truly marketed as three segments as well as 49 nights.  You will get three cruise credits plus 49 days.  Yes, your wife moves up after first leg.  See next post response.

17 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Another reason I asked this is with regards to grand voyages, such as the 58 day one around South America, or one of the other much longer "segmented" world cruises. If we were to book one of those much longer cruises under one booking number, would we have to wait until our next Princess cruise to reap the benefits we gained from taking one of these much longer cruises? Again, we're just trying to understand the rules.

You have given the example that we were on in Winter 2018.  For us it was 60 nights and similarly sold as three segments.  We were booked as a single voyage and then switched to segments when price was in our favor.  However, lots of people on that trip were booked as the single voyage.  They got the same as we did.  Furthermore, we have a couple of future voyages sitting in our Captain's Circle Cruise History and clearly indicate that we are receiving multiple cruise credits from a single booking. 

If, for some reason this was not happening for you, I would either contact Captain's Circle via phone or speak directly with the CC Host(ess) on your trip. 

You might want to do that anyway at the end of your first leg and the Host(ess) should make sure your wife gets Platinum status for the remaining two legs.  And she will get the internet benefit. 

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Never booked a B2B as "one" cruise, but on regular B2B moved up to next level at the end of the first cruise.

We booked our 21 day Med cruise as a "packaged" cruise as it was $600 pp cheaper than if we booked the three 7 day legs separately. We also get more SHB and military OBC if we booked the advertised 21 day packaged cruise.

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We booked our 21 day Med cruise as a "packaged" cruise as it was $600 pp cheaper than if we booked the three 7 day legs separately. We also get more SHB and military OBC if we booked the advertised 21 day packaged cruise.

Yes, sometimes the better price is the other way.  Never can tell.  Either that or it is close enough that you may as well book the one that makes the most sense (like benefits or keeping same cabin).  On our S.A. trip, we had to change cabins - just once after first leg.

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Also, when it says for example you are Ruby, "from your 4th-5th cruise credit", does that mean you are Ruby after you completed you 3rd cruise or 4th cruise? We get the 31-50 cruise days. Just curious about whether one made Ruby after completing the 3rd or 4th cruise.

Again, we're just trying to understand the rules.

You move up to Ruby after completing your 3rd cruise credit or completing 30 days.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

You have given the example that we were on in Winter 2018.  For us it was 60 nights and similarly sold as three segments.  We were booked as a single voyage and then switched to segments when price was in our favor.  However, lots of people on that trip were booked as the single voyage.  They got the same as we did.  Furthermore, we have a couple of future voyages sitting in our Captain's Circle Cruise History and clearly indicate that we are receiving multiple cruise credits from a single booking. 

If, for some reason this was not happening for you, I would either contact Captain's Circle via phone or speak directly with the CC Host(ess) on your trip. 

You might want to do that anyway at the end of your first leg and the Host(ess) should make sure your wife gets Platinum status for the remaining two legs.  And she will get the internet benefit. 

Here's the question about those folks on your cruise that kept their booking under one number the entire cruise. If after leg 1 had completed and they had achieved the next level, whether it was because of cruise days or # of cruise segments, were those folks able to go the Host(ess) and get their loyalty status upgraded to reap the next tier benefits on the next leg(s) like you did or did they have to wait until the entire cruise had finished before getting the credit?

• Like 2

@Ken the cruiser you move up and start getting the new benefits at the commencement of your next cruise.  But there is one significant exception.  Technically, you have achieved the next status level the minute you disembark from your qualifying voyage.  At all the levels below Elite, this doesn't mean much.  However, once you reach Elite there is the benefit of advance booking notice where Elites have a window of opportunity to book cruises when new voyages are released for a day or two ahead of the rest of the members and general public. 

8 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here's the question about those folks on your cruise that kept their booking under one number the entire cruise. If after leg 1 had completed and they had achieved the next level, whether it was because of cruise days or # of cruise segments, were those folks able to go the Host(ess) and get their loyalty status upgraded to reap the next tier benefits like you did or did they have to wait until the entire cruise had finished before getting the credit?

Sorry, if I was not clear about that before, but, yes, they could have their status upgrade and I am going by previous threads here on CC where this type of example has been documented.  I don't recall any examples of people I knew in this situation on our S.A. trip (it was a while back).  I believe the CC Host(ess) has to make an update.  Your wife could get a new cruise card from Passenger Services.  

ETA - Just recalling another example.  Our good friends were on two 20-night voyages in Caribbean last winter.  They took 10-day break on land between the two cruises.  Both cruises were comprised of two 10-night itineraries.  They booked as 20-night for price and cabin.  They were Elite for the final 10-night segment.

Edited by steelers36

3 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

@Ken the cruiser you move up and start getting the new benefits at the commencement of your next cruise.  But there is one significant exception.  Technically, you have achieved the next status level the minute you disembark from your qualifying voyage.  At all the levels below Elite, this doesn't mean much.  However, once you reach Elite there is the benefit of advance booking notice where Elites have a window of opportunity to book cruises when new voyages are released for a day or two ahead of the rest of the members and general public. 

It also means a lot, especially when it comes to free Internet minutes, when you make Platinum. I guess that's one reason why I'm asking this question. From what I am hearing so far is if you are on a 3 leg cruise under 1 booking number and make Platinum after the first leg, you won't be able to reap the Platinum benefits until your next booked cruise rather than the next leg of the cruise you are currently on. Is that correct?

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

From what I am hearing so far

Where are you hearing this, other than from post #3 above?  I might stand to be corrected, but this is not been my understanding of things and is based on examples of our friends plus historical posts here on Princess board.

Edited by steelers36

7 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Where are you hearing this, other than from post #2 above?  I might stand to be corrected, but this is not been my understanding of things and is based on examples of our friends plus historical posts here on Princess board.

Just here on this thread. So, the answer then is yes, she can if she makes the next level on the first (or subsequent) leg of a cruise with 2 or more legs under one booking number. All she needs to do is go to the onboard host(ess) and he/she will make sure she is upgraded to the next level starting on the next leg. Cool!! Thanks for bearing with me on this issue.

My sister, BIL, brother and SIL were traveling with us (already elite) on B2B cruises (including a TA) in the fall of 2017.  The B2B was offered as 2 cruises or a single cruise.  For financial reasons they all reserved as a single cruise.  One couple hit the number of days cruised and the other hit the number of cruises taken to advance to platinum during the first leg.  They were all automatically platinum on the second leg.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, capriccio said:

My sister, BIL, brother and SIL were traveling with us (already elite) on B2B cruises (including a TA) in the fall of 2017.  The B2B was offered as 2 cruises or a single cruise.  For financial reasons they all reserved as a single cruise.  One couple hit the number of days cruised and the other hit the number of cruises taken to advance to platinum during the first leg.  They were all automatically platinum on the second leg.

Did they have to ask anyone onboard to have the upgrade applied to their account or did they simply receive the notification in their cabin on the first day of the second leg?

In one case my SIL's card died the day before cruise #1 ended.  Customer service issued a new platinum card without being asked.  My DB went down and asked them to do the same. which they did.   In my DS and BIL's case, IIRC, they were automatically issued a new card at the beginning of the second cruise.

1 minute ago, capriccio said:

In one case my SIL's card died the day before cruise #1 ended.  Customer service issued a new platinum card without being asked.  My DB went down and asked them to do the same. which they did.   In my DS and BIL's case, IIRC, they were automatically issued a new card at the beginning of the second cruise.

Thanks! That is great news to hear that Princess automatically updates your account when a cruise leg ends rather than a few days afterwards, or after the entire cruise like some of the other lines we sail on do, without being asked to.

We have two upcoming cruises...at the end of the first one I become Elite.   4 days into the next one (14 days), my DH technically has enough sail days to qualify for Elite.  Is there any chance they will give him the elite status on that cruise or does he have to wait til next cruise?  I guess it really doesn't matter because I will be getting the elite perks already but I was just curious.  🤔

2 minutes ago, suzyed said:

We have two upcoming cruises...at the end of the first one I become Elite.   4 days into the next one (14 days), my DH technically has enough sail days to qualify for Elite.  Is there any chance they will give him the elite status on that cruise or does he have to wait til next cruise?  I guess it really doesn't matter because I will be getting the elite perks already but I was just curious.  🤔

According to the information on the Benefits page, my guess is he'll have to wait until the next cruise.

"Members are eligible for a higher tier on the next cruise following completion of necessary cruises and/or days. Land portion of cruisetour does not apply."

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

During the first leg visit the Captain's Circle host. This is important since the change of status may not automatically show. My experience is that you will be upgraded after the first leg. You will also receive a cruise credit(s) for each leg. Booking numbers are not relevant. 

• Like 1

You will get a cruise credit for each segment.  Three voyages, three credits.  Like others have said if it is only one cruise, and sold as only a 21 day then it is only 1.  But it is technically a b2b2b.

We have done a lot of these b2b.  As much as 6 in a row.  We have always gotten a credit for each leg.  

It is automatic (wasn't always the case it sometimes required a visit to the Captain Circle Host, but as of the past few years it is auto.).  

Now take note, even though you finish the first leg you will need to confirm with CC Host that the platinum benefits have been added as it takes time for Princess to catch up to your loyalty level.  We have gotten cards for 2nd leg and it did not reflect the number of cruises accurately in the bottom right - but that was just a small formality.  

I know she probably doesn't care too much about the card or medalion colour, but yes the perks are good (or at least good to know and have the option to use) like Platinum Elite lounge, disembarkation lounge, internet minutes.  

Cheers

• Like 1

8 hours ago, suzyed said:

No, you never get upgraded to next status level mid-cruise.  When I step on the Crown in November and wake up the next morning, I will have achieved Elite.  But that is only on paper - not in reality.

31 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

No, you never get upgraded to next status level mid-cruise.  When I step on the Crown in November and wake up the next morning, I will have achieved Elite.  But that is only on paper - not in reality.

Gotcha...that's what I thought.

I don’t mean to throw a monkey wrench in here....but in my experience the segmented cruises don’t necessarily show up as individual credits.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

This spring we went Singapore to Rome on a single booking, got 1 cruise credit, but it could have been booked Singapore to Dubai and then Dubai to Rome.   (Didn’t push the issue of 2 credits as we also received a move down offer on that cruise and we’re very grateful for it 😄)

Next year we have a B2B2B Caribbean trip booked as a 14 day and a 7 day; Captains Circle shows 3 cruise credits.  

I guess my best answer is to say to look at your booking in the Princess Captains Circle. If it does not show the count as individual segments—see the host(ess) onboard and ask nicely if the count can be corrected.  

• Like 2