No email notifications

When you email help@cruisecritic.com do you use the email address in your account settings? Do you include your username? Do you include the fact that you have not seen any previous responses? Have you tried using a different email address? Have you searched your spam folder(s)?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm with MLA! It is nice to know that I am not the only one.

I haven't gotten an e-mail notification from CC since August even though there have been no changes to my settings. E-mails just stopped coming.

If there is a problem that is being worked on, it would be nice if Help would at least post a sticky about it.

image.png.ccbaf32fd019ad631bebb1d6c19a16cd.png

Edited by Peregrina651

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

I'm with MLA! It is nice to know that I am not the only one.

I haven't gotten an e-mail notification from CC since August even though there have been no changes to my settings. E-mails just stopped coming.

If there is a problem that is being worked on, it would be nice if Help would at least post a sticky about it.

image.png.ccbaf32fd019ad631bebb1d6c19a16cd.png

You need to enable email for "Someone comments on something I follow". This setting is for new posts in threads that one follows.

I believe "New content for things I follow" generates notices when there are new threads added to a forum.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest an email to help@cruisecritic.com outlining the problem you are having. If you have sent an email, not seen a response and have checked your spam folders I'd suggest another email informing CC that their emails do not seem to be getting through.

59 minutes ago, broberts said:

You need to enable email for "Someone comments on something I follow". This setting is for new posts in threads that one follows.

Not really. I set up an activity stream for that and since I am always checking it, I don't need the e-mail; the activity stream gives me the same information without the inbox clutter. I automatically follow any thread I have posted in or started, so it is automatically added to the activity stream --and the stream is always open in a tab in my browser.. 

Moreover, I set the notifications to automatically set my notification preference to "No notifications." I used to get the daily e-mail digest and would read them each morning with my coffee. With the new platform, the format and timing of those e-mails was so abominable that I completely turned them off and  set up the custom activity stream. I also disabled browser notifications on my first visit to the new platform; not needed, not wanted.

image.png.d84b2eea6b772e43d8deed796671a81f.png

Eventually, I will get around to e-mailing Jenn. I held off because I figured that if enough people were complaining about it that it would eventually be repaired.  I just stopped by this forum today to see if I was the only person who suddenly stopped receiving any sort of e-mail notification from the boards. Since there isn't a flurry of threads on the topic, I seem to be in the minority.

Jen did respond. My email seemed to be the problem. But Cc can change your email. Not you. Again, the CC website apis so truly poor. Anyway, they are working on a new app. Er, didn’t they already have an app?  Just saying. 

1 hour ago, MLA said:

My email seemed to be the problem.

I get all the marketing mailing, so how can it be my e-mail?? I'll write Jenn one of these days.

Not a fan of apps. I want to use a browser where I can control at least some of the noisome data gathering. So maybe they can figure out how to personalize the new platform features and to improve the search function.

BTW. Love The Clark!!

17 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I get all the marketing mailing, so how can it be my e-mail?? I'll write Jenn one of these days.

Not a fan of apps. I want to use a browser where I can control at least some of the noisome data gathering. So maybe they can figure out how to personalize the new platform features and to improve the search function.

BTW. Love The Clark!!

The marketing emails come from a different  mail server than our boards emails.   I have sent a test email to you - please reply to that email if you receive it :)  Tag me here if you do not receive it 

Thanks

55 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

The marketing emails come from a different  mail server than our boards emails.   I have sent a test email to you - please reply to that email if you receive it 🙂 Tag me here if you do not receive it 

Thanks

Thank you @CC Help Jenn!!  Tag! You're it! No e-mail from you. 😞

What's the next step?

18 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

@CC Help Jenn, if you sent me an e-mail, I have not received it.

Thanks for letting me know.   It must be related to an issue that we are investigating options to correct, however at this time have no real fix for.

It seems that our email provider will stop sending emails if you or your email provider has marked one of our emails as spam.  You may not even not that one of your emails were returned as spam to us.  I am guessing based on who I am seeing reporting this type of issue is that those with many notifications seem to be affected the most.  Possibly too many emails in a short time can trigger your email provider to send one back as spam without you having clicked spam yourself.

I think that may be the case here since your settings are proper.

Do you happen to have a second email address we can switch you to and see if your notifications will come through to that email - if so please do not post it here.  Send an email to my attention help@cruisecritic.com

Thank you

1 hour ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Thanks for letting me know.   It must be related to an issue that we are investigating options to correct, however at this time have no real fix for.

It seems that our email provider will stop sending emails if you or your email provider has marked one of our emails as spam.  You may not even not that one of your emails were returned as spam to us.  I am guessing based on who I am seeing reporting this type of issue is that those with many notifications seem to be affected the most.  Possibly too many emails in a short time can trigger your email provider to send one back as spam without you having clicked spam yourself.

I think that may be the case here since your settings are proper.

Do you happen to have a second email address we can switch you to and see if your notifications will come through to that email - if so please do not post it here.  Send an email to my attention help@cruisecritic.com

Thank you

THANK YOU!!!!!

@CC Help Jenn, try the e-mail in my sig file.

Edited by Peregrina651

Jenn,

Waaaay back in early December 2018 you posted the email address cruisecritic@invisioncloudcommunity.com is what members should put on their safe senders list. This was to prevent a member's email provider causing emails from us being erroneously bounced back to us & stopping our future auto emails to that member. For future reference, is the procedure still the same and is that particular email address still correct?

Peregrina651,

Congratulations on your post count! 🎆

Kat

That is helpful for new members mostly and stands true.  However in this specific instance, since an email was already bounced, adding the email to a whitelist won't help.  The forums email server will stop sending the emails completely after one bounce.

Jenn,

Thanks for the verification!

And yes, I was aware how this situation was not the same as for a new member. Just mainly wanted to verify the email address.

Thanks again!

Kat