Bermuda Docking

spindrift

Has this changed?  Or are you maybe on one of the "O" ships?

When we were on Sirena in October 2017 we did dock downtown.  Is that no longer possible even on the "R" ships?

If so, I absolutely agree with you!

Mura

3 minutes ago, Mura said:

Has this changed?  Or are you maybe on one of the "O" ships?

When we were on Sirena in October 2017 we did dock downtown.  Is that no longer possible even on the "R" ships?

If so, I absolutely agree with you!

Mura

Nothing's changed. The "R" ships dock in St. George or Hamilton and St. George. Marina and Riviera are too big for that...if in Bermuda they use the Royal Naval Dockyard.

Thanks.  I was rather surprised to think that the "R" ships would have to go far out.  We certainly found it extremely convenient to leave the ship and find our driver right in front!

That IS one argument for sailing on an "R" ship, even if you prefer an "O" ship.  Always assuming Bermuda is one of your ports, of course!  😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

There is part of the approach to Hamilton on the Great Sound called "The Cut".  It is very narrow.  Only smaller ships can get through this which is why Riviera etc have to be at the Dockyard or I suppose in St George.

Riviera and Marina are too big to get to either Hamilton or St. George.

What you're calling "The Cut" is actually Town Cut and it's the approach to St. George, not Hamilton. The approach to Hamilton from the Great Sound requires maneuvering past a series of small islands and that is what prevents Riviera and Marina from docking in Hamilton.

St. George is even tougher to get into, then Hamilton...

I was on HAL's Veendam when it last sailed the NY/Bermuda run...it was originally scheduled to go to both St. George, and Hamilton.  Then HAL modified its aft end (added to it), during a major drydocking, and found that it made it "too close" to attempt the St. George landing.  So instead, we spent the entire time docked on Front Street in Hamilton.   

Which was great!:classic_wink:

Besides the three ports in Bermuda, some ships have to anchor and tender from the Great Sound during busy times...