New York Parking

shirlden

This is an interesting situation. I wonder if they will be allowed to park if not cruising that day. The only way to be sure to be allowed is to only pay for 7 days (not that I’m recommending that). If they aren’t allowed to park, then use the other garage as plan b.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

This is an interesting situation. I wonder if they will be allowed to park if not cruising that day. The only way to be sure to be allowed is to only pay for 7 days (not that I’m recommending that). If they aren’t allowed to park, then use the other garage as plan b.

As you can see from my reply above, I did not think they would be allowed to park if not cruising that day.  But the OP says they've called and checked into it, and they were told they could pay for 14 days.  Of course, they need to confirm that there is at least one ship departing that day, or I doubt they could even enter the parking lot. 

Edited by Turtles06

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2019 at 8:24 AM, shirlden said:

I will be cruising out of Manhattan Cruise Terminal May 2020. Parking is so expensive at this terminal so I am looking for alternate parking. I found cheaper parking at Columbus Circle Parking, has anyone used this alternative? What are the cons to using off site parking? Sorry if this has been addressed before, I looked and did not find anything on it.

Hi shirlden, my husband and I will be on this cruise also.  I need to call and confirm rates, but we will likely stay at a NJ hotel with a park & cruise rate and have them shuttle us.

On 9/22/2019 at 11:55 AM, mjkacmom said:

$40 a day is a pretty good deal in manhattan, especially if you don’t have a small car (we always have to pay extra for our minivan). Super convenient and very safe.

If you go on a 14 day cruise that is a lot of money to park a car.We have never parked at the cruiseport.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

If you go on a 14 day cruise that is a lot of money to park a car.We have never parked at the cruiseport.

It depends on where you live and how much alternative means of transportation will cost. It costs us well over $400 for car service to and from the cruise terminal so paying $400 to park at the port for 14 days is cheaper, even adding in gas and tolls. NJ Transit trains with taxis between our home and the nearest NJT station plus between Penn Station and the cruise terminal while cheaper is too inconvenient when schlepping luggage to be to our liking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It depends on where you live and how much alternative means of transportation will cost. It costs us well over $400 for car service to and from the cruise terminal so paying $400 to park at the port for 14 days is cheaper, even adding in gas and tolls. NJ Transit trains with taxis between our home and the nearest NJT station plus between Penn Station and the cruise terminal while cheaper is too inconvenient when schlepping luggage to be to our liking.

$40.00 a night for 14 nights is $560.00.Then add the midtown tunnel ,cost of gas,etc.

If we do not have a family member to take us we use a car service in our town.We last used them in Feb.2018 and the cost for taking my wife and I plus our luggage was $300.00 to take us and pick us up .When the driver picked us up he said that he took the 59 St.bridge instead of the tunnel and therefore,it would be less money.He did not have to tell us,we would have never known.They are the only car service we have ever used to and from a cruiseport.

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

$40.00 a night for 14 nights is $560.00.Then add the midtown tunnel ,cost of gas,etc.

If we do not have a family member to take us we use a car service in our town.We last used them in Feb.2018 and the cost for taking my wife and I plus our luggage was $300.00 to take us and pick us up .When the driver picked us up he said that he took the 59 St.bridge instead of the tunnel and therefore,it would be less money.He did not have to tell us,we would have never known.They are the only car service we have ever used to and from a cruiseport.

As I pointed out earlier in this thread the maximum parking charge for up to 14 days is $400...and I said I've accounted for gas and tolls when stating that $400 is less than car service for me.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

As I pointed out earlier in this thread the maximum parking charge for up to 14 days is $400...and I said I've accounted for gas and tolls when stating that $400 is less than car service for me.

I was not aware that there was a $400.00 maximum having never parked there.Obviously for you it makes sense.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 2:39 PM, pacruise804 said:

Hi shirlden, my husband and I will be on this cruise also.  I need to call and confirm rates, but we will likely stay at a NJ hotel with a park & cruise rate and have them shuttle us.

We are also cruising out of NYC - May 2020 on the Carnival Legend - just starting to look at parking options.  Currently - parking at the terminal looks like the best plan .

Following this thread..

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 12:32 PM, Kel040 said:

We are also cruising out of NYC - May 2020 on the Carnival Legend - just starting to look at parking options.  Currently - parking at the terminal looks like the best plan .

Following this thread..

The NJ properties with cruise packages looked cheaper than terminal parking, plus DH won't have to drive in Manhattan 😉 The downside is being on the shuttle's schedule vs. my own.

Off topic: We visited your beautiful area this summer for a family vacation.  Based on your avatar/image I'm guessing you might have been one of the people I saw wearing flip flops - we walked 10+ miles most days and my feet would have been killing me 😉 

Looking forward to cruising with you!

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

The NJ properties with cruise packages looked cheaper than terminal parking, plus DH won't have to drive in Manhattan 😉 The downside is being on the shuttle's schedule vs. my own.

Off topic: We visited your beautiful area this summer for a family vacation.  Based on your avatar/image I'm guessing you might have been one of the people I saw wearing flip flops - we walked 10+ miles most days and my feet would have been killing me 😉 

Looking forward to cruising with you!

We did used off site parking in Cape Canaveral once and after that experience we decided we would never do it again - AGREED, we do not like to be at the mercy of the shuttle driver and in most cases we've headed north right after the cruise for the drive home.  With NYC , our drive home is going to be much shorter so we are now just looking at our options.

O/T - The flip flops are for the love of the beach and unfortunately I don't get the beach often enough !!   🙂 

• Like 1

NYC is an expensive place to visit, stay, eat and live, like that of Boston, San Francisco & Los Angeles, etc. and increasingly not vehicle friendly, i.e. bike lanes. Other sample NYC parking rates in Manhattan, plus 19% taxes & surcharges, for your convenience. 

$70 a day with the minivan, suv or pickup truck surcharges isn't uncommon.  Plus, a tip for the valet attendant.

IMG_20171012_124344.jpg