Room service gratuity

5 minutes ago, robIsCruising said:

Is the 18% room service gratuity based on the delivery fee or determined based on a value of the food ordered? 

This was the breakfast menu and charge on Independence in May out of Southampton England.

I always give the waiter a couple of dollars cash tip.

IMG_20190525_164411.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, robIsCruising said:

Thanks! Will definitely be tipping on top as that's a pretty small gratuity.

There is no limit on how much you can order.

We get room service breakfast every day to eat on our balcony and room service ring us about 5 minutes before our breakfasts arrive.

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Frankly, I was stunned when I saw that there was a $7.95 fee for room service.

I might understand the practice to minimize food wastage for late night orders, but having cruised on nearly all the major lines this is the first time I have seen a charge for room service at all times.

IMO, if there is a charge for Room Service adding an automatic gratuity to the fee is adding insult to injury.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edgeman61 said:

...  this is the first time I have seen a charge for room service at all times. ...

Royal has a limited time (a few hours in the morning) continental breakfast option that has no extra charge.

2 hours ago, edgeman61 said:

I might understand the practice to minimize food wastage for late night orders, but having cruised on nearly all the major lines this is the first time I have seen a charge for room service at all times.

IMO, if there is a charge for Room Service adding an automatic gratuity to the fee is adding insult to injury.

They added the automatic gratuity about a year after they instituted the service charge. 

I stopped ordering room service when a delivery fee was added (the other cruise lines we have used have adopted the same practice). In a pinch we might order continental breakfast (but it's just as easy for me to grab something from lido and bring it back to the cabin) and if we do I'll give the delivery person a couple of bucks. Many hotels that I've stayed in also charge a service fee and automatic gratuity.

On 9/23/2019 at 4:19 PM, grapau27 said:

There is no limit on how much you can order.

We get room service breakfast every day to eat on our balcony and room service ring us about 5 minutes before our breakfasts arrive.

We only had breakfast on our balcony once.  I'd like to order more often for our upcoming cruise.  What kind of pastries do they have nowadays?  I saw the menu (thank you), but it doesn't list the type of muffins, danishes, etc. available?

33 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

We only had breakfast on our balcony once.  I'd like to order more often for our upcoming cruise.  What kind of pastries do they have nowadays?  I saw the menu (thank you), but it doesn't list the type of muffins, danishes, etc. available?

Cinnamon rolls, cranberry bread.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, red-dragon said:

Danish pastry,lemon pastry, almond pastry, cinnamon pastry etc.

The muffins were a plain English type.

Each day there was a selection of 3 pastries if you put 1 in the box but if you put 2 in the box you will get more.

The selection changed daily.

Just got off Explorer yesterday otherwise I would have taken a photo for you.

The hot breakfast was $7.95 on Explorer.

Graham

Edited by grapau27

12 hours ago, edgeman61 said:

It looks like the cruise line wants total control over all the tips.

I would guess since the gratuity is added then many don’t give anything to the person delivering the food.  I would venture to guess the person delivering the food sees none of it. 

28 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I give $2 for room service.

GS and above have no service fee.  Not sure about JS.

sooooo...GS pay for room service but are not charged the extra for added gratuities OR... GS do not pay for room service period but may tip if they like...I am so confused, sorry. What about the daily gratuities charged per person?  

7 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I stopped ordering room service when a delivery fee was added (the other cruise lines we have used have adopted the same practice). In a pinch we might order continental breakfast (but it's just as easy for me to grab something from lido and bring it back to the cabin) and if we do I'll give the delivery person a couple of bucks. Many hotels that I've stayed in also charge a service fee and automatic gratuity.

Princess does not charge for Room Service. 

The menu is more limited than Royal’s, but does include hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches and a couple of hot items like lasagna. 

Plus dessert!!

6 hours ago, kdnurs said:

sooooo...GS pay for room service but are not charged the extra for added gratuities OR... GS do not pay for room service period but may tip if they like...I am so confused, sorry. What about the daily gratuities charged per person?  

The latter on the GS room service question and $17.50 per person per day grats for GS and up, $3 higher that the lower category cabins. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Princess does not charge for Room Service. 

The menu is more limited than Royal’s, but does include hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches and a couple of hot items like lasagna. 

Plus dessert!!

They are on our "to try" list as soon as I find a sailing that we want to and can do (and by the time all of that aligns they very well could be charging a service charge).

Even before they started charging for room service, $1-5 was the basic tip, depending on how much they had to carry to you.  The "fee" includes tip, so take that into consideration.  Bear in mind that the FOOD has been paid for..the "uncharges" include the tip.

12 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Cinnamon rolls, cranberry bread.

Thank you!

11 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Each day there was a selection of 3 pastries if you put 1 in the box but if you put 2 in the box you will get more.

Graham

Thanks so much!  I think the muffins you're referring to are English muffins?  I was just wondering about the muffins, like blueberry or carrot ...

I hope you enjoyed your cruise on Explorer!

6 hours ago, red-dragon said:

Thank you!

Thanks so much!  I think the muffins you're referring to are English muffins?  I was just wondering about the muffins, like blueberry or carrot ...

I hope you enjoyed your cruise on Explorer!

Thanks,we had a fantastic cruise.

This was the English muffin like we had.It was toasted.

There was blueberry muffins but we didn't want any.

Screenshot_20191013_083041_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2019 at 9:40 AM, grapau27 said:

Graham

Big fan of apple, I'd rather just go get what I want

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bases5 said:

Do they have door hangers you put out the night before for breakfast or do you call in the morning?  Is there an approximate time it takes to get room service?

I filled in the door hangers for breakfast and hung our order on the outside door handle before going to sleep.

On Explorer you have the option to use your interactive TV to order room service too