Tip for Wheelchair Attendant in UK?

MarkBearSF

I know that tipping is always a contentions subject, but I've not seen this topic addressed before. 

What is a reasonable tip for a wheelchair attendant who assists passengers through airports and ship boarding in the UK?
We'll need assistance at LHR for our arrival and at Southampton when boarding the QM2. (When we disembark in NY, the staff is local and I know how to handle that one)

Not aware that anyone tips them, or that they would be expecting a tip.

They are paid employees of the airport or cruise terminal, carrying out their job. They are not unpaid freelancers. It would seem as odd as tipping the clerk at check in, or the cabin crew on the plane.

There are strict employment laws in the UK to prevent people being exploited at work, and having to rely on unofficial handouts. 

On 9/23/2019 at 2:28 AM, MarkBearSF said:

What is a reasonable tip for a wheelchair attendant who assists passengers through airports and ship boarding in the UK?

The amount depends on your accent.

A non-American accent then nothing is expected (although occasionally they will be surprised with a £1 or so)

An American accent and the assistant will be rubbing their hands with glee at being allocated as an assistant and will be on the look out for a note or two.

DW never tips me for being her 'wheelchair attendant'. 🙂

Joking aside, I never tip them at LHR, or at Southampton, but I do in foreign airports ; my rule of thumb is the equivalent of a couple of GBP.

I do tip the guy who helps us get our luggage in or out of the car when we park at Southampton though. I know that they are reasonably well paid, but it's good to give them a reward for going the extra mile; same with taxi drivers. 

Edited by Bob++