Suggestions For Moorea & Bora Bora

brd_386

We're not big into snorkeling. We like lounging in the water and just relaxing. However, I'm considering doing something with snorkeling. My only turn off is seeing all these tours with Sharks & Stingrays. I want to say that I'd do it, but I'm not sure. My dad absolutely would not do it. I dont wanna go and be one of those people that just sits on the boat, while everyone else snorkels. Straight up regular fish, is perfectly ok with us and my dad would also be ok with that.

I also want to be near or around some of the overwater bungelows in at least one of those places. I've always just had a thing about seeing those in person and getting a picture.

What would you recommend for us?

There are plenty of tours in Bora Bora but most do see sharks and stingrays. The reef sharks are totally benign as are the stingrays. The sharks are more afraid of you than you are of them. I've done four different snorkel tour providers in Bora Bora.

1) Tohora Bora Bora 2) Lagoon Service 3) Pure Snorkeling) 4) Maohi Nui. I've numbered them how I would rank them but I love snorkeling and love sharks and stingrays.

You might be happiest with #4 Maohi Nui. http://www.maohinui.net/en/ They have great snorkeling and some of it is in areas where you will not see sharks. The entertainment is terrific and they will keep you busy with fun while others in the group see sharks and stingrays. You'll still get to snorkel with "straight up regular fish" and gorgeous coral at other stops. The lunch is fantastic. The other option is to do a day at Matira Beach which is about 5 minutes from the port by taxi. Right across the road is the Intercontinental Bora Bora. They have day packages, fairly expensive if I remember correctly, but there are overwater bungalows.

The best for your needs is probably Moorea. We had four cruise days there last winter and spent one of them at the Hilton Moorea doing a day package. LOTS of overwater bungalows, beautiful beach, access to all the water toys, pool, and a fabulous lunch right on the ocean. It was $90pp last winter and well worth it. We snorkeled and did not see one shark or stingray but tons of fish. Just a wonderful day.

The other option on Moorea depending on what time of year you'll be visiting is Dr. Poole's Whale and Dolphin watch. http://www.drmichaelpoole.com/tours.htm

He's a researcher and naturalist and his talks and boat trips are wonderful. The whale season is July-November but spinner dolphins can be seen the rest of the year. You can even swim with the whales if you are up to it.

Don't feel you have to stay in the boat the whole time on any snorkel tours. Just let the tour provider know you'd like to avoid sharks and stingrays and they'll be sure you avoid the stops that include them. Once you see how sweet the stingrays are (they just like to flub their flubber up on you and kiss you) you may even change your minds!

Have fun!

Edited by Petoonya

On 9/22/2019 at 7:07 PM, brd_386 said:

We're not big into snorkeling. We like lounging in the water and just relaxing. However, I'm considering doing something with snorkeling. My only turn off is seeing all these tours with Sharks & Stingrays. I want to say that I'd do it, but I'm not sure. My dad absolutely would not do it. I dont wanna go and be one of those people that just sits on the boat, while everyone else snorkels. Straight up regular fish, is perfectly ok with us and my dad would also be ok with that.

I also want to be near or around some of the overwater bungelows in at least one of those places. I've always just had a thing about seeing those in person and getting a picture.

What would you recommend for us?

One last thing about the Hilton Moorea that you might like is that you'll get all the lounges and toys for the water. And you can actually swim out and around the over the water bungalows. When I was there had a nice conversation with a man who was staying there while I stood on the ladder of his bungalow.

Maybe someday you'll be staying in one 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, gamecock85 said:

Petoonya, how did you get in contact with Hilton Moorea to book day pass? I am not having any luck getting a response. Thanks in advance!

Hi there....it was the manager of food and beverage service that helped me. There are two emails that you can try. Let me know if you don't hear anything back.

rest.mgr@hilton-moorea.pf       This is the one I wrote to, and this second one is the one I heard back from.

fnb.asst@hilton-moorea.pf

Edited by Petoonya

On 10/10/2019 at 10:39 AM, brd_386 said:

@Petoonya 2 questions...

1. How far ahead should I contact the hotel and do I have to pay first, or pay when I arrive at the hotel?

2. How far ahead should I book a snorkeling tour in Bora Bora?

I do not leave until April 2021

Hi there Brd 386.

1. You can contact the hotel now if you like and see what prices are. But if you are looking to save money you'll get a better deal booking via a website like Kayak or Tripadvisor. You'll need to wait till 364 days before your date of travel though. Kayak or Tripadvisor does the price checking for you and directs you to the booking engine that can score you the best deal https://www.kayak.com/

Or https://www.tripadvisor.com/

Just as an example....both Kayak and Tripadvisor say that Expedia has the best price for the Sofitel Bora Bora July 15-17, 2020. This is a considerable savings from booking that hotel direct online for those same dates.

You can't book 2021 on Kayak and Tripadvisor now, but you can test it out by doing a dummy booking with your same dates but for 2020. That way you can get a feel for what the demand is during the time period you will be visiting in 2021.

95% of the time you'll do better booking with a site like Kayak or Tripadvisor than booking with the hotel direct. Always be sure the price you get includes taxes and service charges when comparing prices.

You asked about when you pay....if you book directly with the hotel they just take a credit card to reserve your room and tell you your cancellation terms when you book. If you book on Tripadvisor or Kayak it's pretty much the same thing but depends on what hotel you book. Some smaller concerns may want up front payment.....but by and large you reserve with a cc and settle things when you check out.

2. There's no reason to book your snorkeling tour more than a year in advance in BB or anywhere. Although sometimes I admit I get so excited I book earlier than that! For Tohora Bora Bora who only takes 6 passengers or another tour company who is in demand I book as soon as I can.

If I can help with anything else ask away! Best wishes.

Nancy

Edited by Petoonya

30 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

1. You can contact the hotel now if you like and see what prices are. But if you are looking to save money you'll get a better deal booking via a website like Kayak or Tripadvisor. You'll need to wait till 364 days before your date of travel though. Kayak or Tripadvisor does the price checking for you and directs you to the booking engine that can score you the best deal https://www.kayak.com/

Or https://www.tripadvisor.com/

Just as an example....both Kayak and Tripadvisor say that Expedia has the best price for the Sofitel Bora Bora July 15-17, 2020. This is a considerable savings from booking that hotel direct online for those same dates.

You can't book 2021 on Kayak and Tripadvisor now, but you can test it out by doing a dummy booking with your same dates but for 2020. That way you can get a feel for what the demand is during the time period you will be visiting in 2021.

95% of the time you'll do better booking with a site like Kayak or Tripadvisor than booking with the hotel direct. Always be sure the price you get includes taxes and service charges when comparing prices.

But I'm just looking for a day pass. I can still book this through kayak or tripadvisor?

2 minutes ago, brd_386 said:

But I'm just looking for a day pass. I can still book this through kayak or tripadvisor?

I'm so sorry! Red face. Distracted....was just talking to someone else looking at booking a hotel.

No just wait til 6-9 months before....and book direct with hotel.