Day at Cartagena

CarolandNate

As we approach our cruise date in December, we are trying to get a better take on what we might expect on certain ports of call.  We are taking one via the ship, Princess, that begins with a drive to San Felipe Castle.  The itinerary says photo stop and further in, it says time at the suite is 15 minutes.  Taking that literally, that sounds like we get there, have time to walk around  for a few minutes or so, take pictures.  Certainly does not seem like enough time to climb to the top or is it.  Also how steep is the climb? 

After that it goes to Los Bovedas (10 minute drive?), but it appears to be drive by, as  the itinerary does not say anything about stopping.  Then it's 15 more to Casa Nunez, where we pick up a horse and carriage that will apparently take us around the old city for an hour.  Given that it is followed by a half hour of free time in the old city, I am assuming that the horse and carriage ride will end at Los Coches near the clock tower.  From there, the attractions look like they are very close to one another, the Gold Museum, Bolivar Statue, Inquisition Palace, etc.  Very much within walking distance.  Also I am guessing that the horse and carriage will go down streets and we will get a view of things that way.

I would like  to think there are people on Cruise Critic who know the city and these attractions.  Hopefully they can reply to this and advise us.  I did see some one who very specifically addressed this topic and I would like to reply to them.  But I cannot find a way to do so.  Perhaps I am missing something.  I am also not naming that person in this post, as I am not sure about the protocol on doing that.  So any help would be appreciated.

An additional part of this is as I said, is that this is a Princess excursion.  We are seriously thinking about expanding it and finishing up on our own.  The whole excursion is four hours and would get us back to the ship by 12:30.  We don't leave until 5:00.  Following the carriage ride there is 1/2 hour of free time and then it is another half hour of getting back to meeting point and the trip back to the ship by bus.  That sounds like it is about 11:30 when the carriage ride ends.  Our master plan is to let them know not to wait for us to get back to the ship.  We would use that hour (free time plus travel time) and stick around for an hour or two more and tour on our own, perhaps stop for lunch.  The old city is perhaps a mile and a half from the ship and I hear that cabs are plentiful and cheap.  I would imagine that as long as we left by 3:00, we would be back with plenty of time to spare.  That is also assuming that we could last that long.  And we still leave the option of not breaking from the tour and go back with them.

So can anyone help?