Cartagena

bidgley

Hi

we want to go to Old Town but can’t decide the best way,we have looked at the tours with the cruise line or trying to do it ourselves and we aren’t sure of the best way, from looking on various forums it has made me nervous of being able to get back to the ship if we do it independently, what plans do others have?

Many thanks

I don't know what ship you are on, but the best suggestions I've read about so far for exploring old town is to book through the cruise ship and either do the catamaran directly to old town or the cruise ship booked hop on hop off. 

If you want a guided tour then Dora the explorer seems to be the most popular option!

• Like 1

Our plan is to book a taxi to take us close to the old city and wander around a bit and then either walk or taxi back to the port. There are a ton of posts on Tripadvisor and other sights that seem to support this as a reasonable option, with the caveat that you'll probably be overcharged versus the local prices for the taxi. But really, over-charged means it'll cost us $10-20 to get to the old city and back, and the Hop-On, Hop-Off bus is $28pp and problematic per reviews, so we'll manage. 

I wish the catamaran were more reliable, that sounds like a really fun option.

8 hours ago, Albinroo said:

I don't know what ship you are on, but the best suggestions I've read about so far for exploring old town is to book through the cruise ship and either do the catamaran directly to old town or the cruise ship booked hop on hop off. 

If you want a guided tour then Dora the explorer seems to be the most popular option!

I also just booked a cruise that does Cartagena. I don’t do cruise line excursions unless necessary. After the reading reviews of the port and reviews of tour operators, comparing them,  I have booked Dora’s tour since I have never been to Cartagena before. I think a tour from a local is a good idea for the first time there. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1