Onboard Sky

Lorizack

5 hours ago, Gail Boertzel said:

Sorry to keep bugging you. But you are our firsthand source of info!

Did you do any Viking excursions in Amsterdam? We are going to do the canal boat tour.

Thinking you are in LeHavre today or maybe yesterday. Any words of wisdom on that port?

We were in Amsterdam Summer 2018 and enjoyed a small boat cruise. Rocco was the guide and it was lovely. I really like smaller groups.  https://www.romantictouramsterdam.com/tours/romantic-waters-boat-tour/

On 9/26/2019 at 8:55 PM, sparkles said:

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences!  What was the name of the waffle cart that your guide recommended?  I’m looking forward to trying an authentic Belgian waffle (DH is looking forward to the beer!). 😋 Also, was there a long wait to see the Madonna and Child?

Hope you had a nice dinner at the Chef’s table. 

I’m not sure of the cart name, but it was the only actual cart and not shop that we saw. There was no line to see the Madonna. The church had a steady stream of visitors but not crowded at all. Perhaps September is the month to visit! The church is free but you must purchase tickets in a building outside, in order to visit the Madonna.

6 hours ago, Gail Boertzel said:

Did you do any Viking excursions in Amsterdam? We are going to do the canal boat tour.

Thinking you are in LeHavre today or maybe yesterday. Any words of wisdom on that port?

I don’t mind your questions at all! In Amsterdam we did the included canal tour which is a great overview of the area. It starts just outside the cruise center. Then we took off on our own and explored, as we’d visited Amsterdam previously.  Others did Anne Frank or the various museums. Be advised that tickets to most attractions must be purchased in advance, online.  There’s no just showing up anymore.

Today we did the D Day excursion. It was very popular with about 150 people booking it! It was a great day. About two hours by bus each way. The guide keeps you informed on the way there, and lets you snooze on the return. We passed Juno beach, but sadly, we Canadians only got a glimpse. The next three beaches...Gold, Utah and Omaha were longer stops, with museums, the American cemetery and an actual beach walk. We learned and saw so very much! It was a moving and informative day. We had a delicious French lunch, complete with two different wines, and many bathroom opportunities. Viking took excellent care of us!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lorizack said:

I don’t mind your questions at all! In Amsterdam we did the included canal tour which is a great overview of the area. It starts just outside the cruise center. Then we took off on our own and explored, as we’d visited Amsterdam previously.  Others did Anne Frank or the various museums. Be advised that tickets to most attractions must be purchased in advance, online.  There’s no just showing up anymore.

Today we did the D Day excursion. It was very popular with about 150 people booking it! It was a great day. About two hours by bus each way. The guide keeps you informed on the way there, and lets you snooze on the return. We passed Juno beach, but sadly, we Canadians only got a glimpse. The next three beaches...Gold, Utah and Omaha were longer stops, with museums, the American cemetery and an actual beach walk. We learned and saw so very much! It was a moving and informative day. We had a delicious French lunch, complete with two different wines, and many bathroom opportunities. Viking took excellent care of us!

The River cruise division offers a US version and a Commonwealth version of the Normandy Beaches. I wonder why they didn't do the same for Ocean?

When I lived in Canada my son's grade 6 teacher told my son the USA was not at D-Day... he informed her of her error.  But I have to say I'll bet most American grade 6 teachers couldn't name the American beaches much less the British ones or Canadian one.

To be fair... he loved the history channel and played a lot of WWII video games.

In case you were wondering...

Utah and Omaha -USA

Juno - Canada

Sword  and Gold - British

1 hour ago, geffric said:

I am following with great interest as I am on this cruise  next year at this time..

Okay! That gives you and your roll call time to start a campaign to get Viking to add a Commonwealth version of the Normandy Beaches tour.

On our March river cruise, we chose the  Commonwealth tour over the US tour.

16 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

The River cruise division offers a US version and a Commonwealth version of the Normandy Beaches. I wonder why they didn't do the same for Ocean?

Yes I noticed that on the River itinerary. I plan to mention it in my review of that excursion. For those who don’t know, Viking gives you the opportunity to review each excursion upon its completion. I believe there were 5 buses so perhaps one load of Canadians and Brits could have deviated a bit?

On 9/27/2019 at 11:04 AM, Gail Boertzel said:

I've been to Amsterdam several times. Anne Frank museum is a must-see IMHO. Book ahead of time so you don't have to wait in what can be a LONG line. There's much of interest just walking around too (watch for the bicyclists though). The 'floating flower market' on the Singel Canal is really neat to visit (between the Koningsplein and Muntplein). Of course, the Rijks and Van Gogh museums are also top attractions. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Today was Stonehenge. About an hour and half drive each way. Lovely scenery and places of historical note. We drove through the New Forest (which actually means very old) and saw villages and farms which follow the old style of letting livestock roam the forest and meadows. Charming! Stonehenge itself was bucket-list great. It just appears in the midst of sheep farms. Plenty of washrooms. A gift shop and tiny museum. Mostly it is the stones. We had the choice of following our Viking guide or using the site’s audio boxes and going alone. We went Viking, but I also had the audio system and they were very similar.  There is quite a bit of walking involved, and it felt crowded in places, but our guide assured us that today wasn’t too busy. Although it wasn’t cold, the wind howled, which added to the somewhat mystic effect. The excursion was over 5 hours long and we got back just after the World Cafe closed. The pool grill was overrun with hungry people so we went to the Viking Bar and enjoyed an open faced shrimp sandwich. 

There was a port shuttle offered here in Portsmouth which leaves every 20 minutes and visits several key points of interest. We had hoped to get out to a pub but the traffic and late hour made us nervous. Perhaps we’ll have better luck in Falmouth tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I've been to Amsterdam several times. Anne Frank museum is a must-see IMHO. Book ahead of time so you don't have to wait in what can be a LONG line. There's much of interest just walking around too (watch for the bicyclists though). The 'floating flower market' on the Singel Canal is really neat to visit (between the Koningsplein and Muntplein). Of course, the Rijks and Van Gogh museums are also top attractions. 

On the 60th day out, I tried to buy tickets for the Anne Frank Museum, and was unable to do so. After emailing the museum, I learned that it is closed for Yom Kippur the day we will be there. So going to the Rijks instead. With so many things to see, plenty of alternatives. 

Just now, Lorizack said:

Oh dear. Falmouth just got cancelled. No pub fish and chips for us, although the pool grill is serving it tonight.  An extra day at sea is now on our agenda. Not a hardship at all!

Does that mean the seas are very rough? Curious as to why it was canceled. Of all the ports, if one had to be missed that would probably be the the one I would choose. Glad you got to Stonehenge yesterday. We are going to try and do it on our own taking the train from Portsmouth. Glad you liked it. I have read mixed reviews, but felt, like you, that it was a bucket list site to see. 

3 hours ago, Gail Boertzel said:

On the 60th day out, I tried to buy tickets for the Anne Frank Museum, and was unable to do so. After emailing the museum, I learned that it is closed for Yom Kippur the day we will be there. So going to the Rijks instead. With so many things to see, plenty of alternatives. 

Great attitude! 🙂

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

We missed a port on one of our sailings. The Captain said that the weather would be fine for us to sail in but that by the time we were ready to leave the weather and the winds would have changed and we would be stuck there for three days.

We missed three ports on our Sky sailing, BUT got a free helicopter ride :)  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gail Boertzel said:

Wow! Would never have thought you'd have trouble buying them that far in advance. Rijks is great and well worth your time.  Enjoy!  The canal boat cruises are really neat also. Pretty cool experience going under all those bridges. Our tour boat got hit (more like a bump, and no damage to either vessel) by a group of young people in a small boat as we rounded a turn. Was their fault and yet we're the ones that got the finger thrown at us LOL  Probably a tad too much THC in the bloodstream I suppose. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Lobster night in the Restaurant!! It wasn’t advertised, although fish and chips at the pool bar was. So be sure to check menus on the interactive screens each evening. My husband was a happy camper! I had lick-your-plate-clean seafood risotto. Enough said! Wondering if there’s a chance the famous chocolate buffet will show up for tomorrow’s unexpected sea day....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wow! Would never have thought you'd have trouble buying them that far in advance

It wasn't that they were sold out 60 days in advance but that the museum will be closed the day they are planning to visit. It is the only day of the year that they do close.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:37 AM, Lorizack said:

Apparently Falmouth is a tricky harbour to navigate, so sea issues, whatever they may be, are reason to avoid. So far we haven’t been told much. Will be sure to medicate before bed, just in case😀

Falmouth is a very challenging arrival with both tidal and wind concerns. The entrance to the dock is very shallow, with height of tide required to cross the bar. If the wind is blowing it adds another risk factor.

• Like 2