HOHO from port to Athens

Markanddonna

We did one in September. There were 3 different bus companies at the port, all seemed to be offering the same sort of thing for the same price. I can't say what the schedules would be in winter but am sure they will be online somewhere.

The bus at the port basically did a straight run into Athens to a changeover spot by the Acropolis. We then picked up a bus which did the Athens tour and had to change again and do the reverse back to the port. Both times we called into other terminals to pick up/drop off passengers, although I would think in December there will be less ships in port.

They seemed pretty well organised, with enough buses running to accommodate people - again, not sure what this would be like in December.

Having been to Athens a number of times before we didn't want to explore the usual sights of the city and it was a good way to get an overview from the commentary and a look at some parts of the city we hadn't seen before.

• 2 weeks later...

It may be worth it if you take it directly from Piraeus. We opted to take the subway into town. It was a 35 min walk from where the ship docked to the metro station in the heat and heavy traffic. We took the HOHO bus from downtown Athens but spent most of the tour stuck in traffic in the narrow roads leading to the Acropolis. The only thing I enjoyed in Athens was shopping and lunch in Plaka.