Bye-Bye Water Bottles

SeaShark

3 minutes ago, shof515 said:

What will happen to the free water bottles we get from being a latitudes member? 

The article states:

"Norwegian announced Wednesday it is partnering with JUST Goods Inc. (founded by rapper, actor and activist Jaden Smith and his family) to eliminate plastic bottles on it cruise ships by Jan. 1 and replace them with JUST's paper cartons. The company estimates it will save more than six million single-use plastic bottles each year."

Edited by DinaS

"The company estimates it will save more than six million single-use plastic bottles each year."

Yet no estimate on the environmental impact of cutting down enough trees to produce more than six million single use paper cartons each year.  😲

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BaWBarmy said:

Good move.

I want to cruise on the Ocean not a sea of plastic.

Seriously? I see eight cruises listed in your signature. Do you have pictures from any of them showing all of this alleged plastic in the water?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Yet no estimate on the environmental impact of cutting down enough trees to produce more than six million single use paper cartons each year.  😲

lucky trees can be replanted but it takes them many many years to fully grow into a usable product again

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

"The company estimates it will save more than six million single-use plastic bottles each year."

The paper cartons are recyclable and bio-degradable.    This news makes me want to go hug a sea turtle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Seriously? I see eight cruises listed in your signature. Do you have pictures from any of them showing all of this alleged plastic in the water?

I've deliberately chosen cruises away from the seas of plastic.

Seriously if you don't think they exist then maybe you should look at some of the photos that do exist.

Six million bottles from one cruise line, so how many from all the other users and producers of plastic bottles? Were are they going because they don't just disappear.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BaWBarmy said:

Seriously if you don't think they exist then maybe you should look at some of the photos that do exist.

Six million bottles from one cruise line, so how many from all the other users and producers of plastic bottles? Were are they going because they don't just disappear.

So...you are trying to claim that 6 million bottles are tossed into the ocean?

THINK about it...

Thanks for sharing the article. I plan to take a wait and see approach. I am hoping that the container will hold up in an excursion day travel. I know my water bottle takes a beating. I looked up the company and saw this. https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/articles/0,7340,L-3733620,00.html "Founded in 2015 and headquartered in Glens Falls, New York, Just Goods' flagship product is JUST Water, natural spring water sold in reduced-emissions bottles made from renewable plant resources. True to the wellness appeal of the brand, the new water products are available in three unsweetened, certified organic flavors of apple cinnamon, tangerine, and lemon." Amazon "reviewers" gave it a 4 1/2. I will wait and see.

8 minutes ago, BaWBarmy said:

Right, they don't disappear, but they also do NOT all go into the ocean......ever see the tons of garbage being taken off the ships for recycling at port????

Hilarious.

People actually defending the unbridled use of plastics.

Seemingly completely unaware of the optics of actually being the defense attorney for a specific pollution known to be killing millions of fish, mammals and birds daily.

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/great-pacific-garbage-patch/

This move makes Norwegian Cruise Line look like great stewards of the sea.

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, buddylover said:

Right, they don't disappear, but they also do NOT all go into the ocean......ever see the tons of garbage being taken off the ships for recycling at port????

In general lots of plastic bags, bottle waste, etc. is in the ocean and harming the sea life, especially animals and fish. So eliminating straws, bottles and non recyclable bags is helpful and in a way necessary. Good for NCL and others that take some measures to reduce. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, buddylover said:

I urge you to read the final paragraph

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/plastic-recycling-facts-and-figures-2877886

13 minutes ago, Nola26 said:

In general lots of plastic bags, bottle waste, etc. is in the ocean and harming the sea life, especially animals and fish. So eliminating straws, bottles and non recyclable bags is helpful and in a way necessary. Good for NCL and others that take some measures to reduce. 

Correct, and I agree that this is a good move on behalf of NCL......my above comment was to BaWBarmy, who made it sound like all those millions of plastic bottles ALL ended up in the ocean.  I am with you in saving our planet!!!

To head the argument that these paper containers have plastic caps off at the pass, consider first:

They are SUGAR CANE based plastic caps.  That means they are biodegradable.

There are also corn syrup based plastic items in circulation, for example plastic picnic plates, and others which are also 100% biodegradable.

We can debate whether we should be using the word "plastic" to define them.  I personally think that except for its application in emergency services and medical use, plastic is one of the most evil things we humans have cursed this earth by having to deal with. 

Incidentally, the next time you get a package that is packed with those peanut shaped lumps of what looks like styrofoam?  Take a handful and hold it under your kitchen faucet.  If it's like most that are now in circulation, they will disappear in your hands because it too is nothing but foamed up corn syrup.

• Like 1