Hong Kong hotels

AnnieO2019

We've stayed multiple times at The Peninsula in Kowloon. Always top notch (and the Rolls Royce service to the airport is a lot of fun). When I'm there for business I have stayed at the Conrad and the Upper House-- both of which are also great but a little more corporate than the Peninsula. 

There are plenty of others though. Really depends on your budget and where you want to spend the most time. 

We’ve booked the Mandarin Oriental on Hong Kong Island for two nights pre-cruise in January.  There are good deals on the usual booking websites but we dealt direct and got some useful perks by signing up to the Fans of MO programme.  The Four Seasons is also good. 

Obviously watching the ongoing unrest in Hong Kong but hope it will come to a peaceful resolution in the next few months. 

Hong Kong has so many good hotels at various levels, styles, neighborhoods, etc.; it's hard to make blanket recommendations without knowing your preferences and circumstances.

In any case, try to fly in or out during the week - the protests occur during the weekends, weekdays are calm, according to my relatives and friends there.  Personally, I'll be flying there in November and will try out the relatively new Hotel Tuve, which is in Fortress Hill/North Point neighborhood and is walking distance from my favorite vegetarian buffet restaurants - which I'm sure wouldn't be a criterion for anybody on here! - in case public transportation will be interrupted or roads will be blocked due to mob protests.  BTW, Hotel Tuve is an achingly minimalist design hotel whose aesthetics would not please the typical Seabourn guest demographics.

Who knows how long the political turmoil will drag out, there are major underlying systemic socio-economic issues with no simple solutions, but I wouldn't want to hijack this post...

Edited by sfvoyage

Hong Kong is one of my favorite cities. Hotels are in various areas an in various price categories. Kowloon is more pro tourist 

than HK Island. The Ritz Carlton is one of the tallest hotels in the world.  It has a fantastic view of the harbor.  The Club Level is superb and, probably, one of the best in the world. Although far removed from the ferry, there is a subway stop  in the lower level that takes you directly to HK island or the airport. The Peninsula is the dowager of HK hotels.Great location and great service.  The Intercontinental is on the harbor and has great views. It's a bit "shop worn."  Their restaurants are superb.There are a number of hotels across the street from the Intercontinental. They're less expensive but still in a good location. IMHO, you can't go wrong with any hotel in HK. 

We have been to HK many times over the years. Friends who have lived there and who go back annually recommended Hotel Icon https://www.hotel-icon.com/?utm_source=google-local&utm_medium=organic last time we were there (for a Seabourn cruise). It was so wonderful that we looked forward to returning there after our HK to HK cruise via Japan, South Korea and China cruise on Sojourn.

Book a Club Room as the evening “Drinks and Nibbles” meant we didn't need dinner, Also the Alcohol Drinks in the mini-bar were inclusive. 

Nice shopping Centre opposite..

I also need a HK hotel for the new year - there are lots of suggestions from the forum but is any particular hotel likely to be well away from any possible troubles - weekend or not. A friend of mine just casually suggested staying in either Aberdeen or Macau .....

Another vote for the Hotel Icon. TripAdvisor rates it No 4 out of 797 hotels in Hong Kong. Well worth going for a "Club Room" free drinks and food in the evenings and they don't seem to stop serving the free drinks when the allotted period of time has ended.

Thoroughly recommended