Carnival returning to Freeport

NJEMT29

46 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

They had them listed on my cruise last week  but the port was cancelled. Don't waste your time booking one or go ahead, its up to you.

When i first saw this topic thought that no cruise ship is going back to freeport for a long time. But i read that one minor cruise line will return in a couple days. Article in cruisecritic news. This is not just for relief supplies. So who knows how soon carnival will return. 

the minor cruise line, Bahamas Paradise, if memory serves correctly offers 2 nt cruises from West Palm Beach to Freeport exclusively.   I don't think they have arrangements to sail anywhere else.   im stunned that Grand Bahamas is having any cruise ships this soon after a catastrophic storm. 

earlier this morning I read that Bahamas Paradise now has another ship beginning stops in Nassau in the near future. 

14 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

They had them listed on my cruise last week  but the port was cancelled. Don't waste your time booking one or go ahead, its up to you.

I never book excursions in Freeport. I had no plans to do so for this cruise. 

Just reporting what I saw that related to the topic.

2 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

the minor cruise line, Bahamas Paradise, if memory serves correctly offers 2 nt cruises from West Palm Beach to Freeport exclusively.   I don't think they have arrangements to sail anywhere else.   im stunned that Grand Bahamas is having any cruise ships this soon after a catastrophic storm. 

earlier this morning I read that Bahamas Paradise now has another ship beginning stops in Nassau in the near future. 

I could be mistaken, but I believe they are also bringing supplies and helping to evacuate people to the US (assuming they have the proper documentation).

3 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

The 27th they are resuming their 2 night cruises to Freeport on the Grand Celebration. The Grand Classica will be doing there new port which is Nassau starting Oct 12. Freeport which is the container port was not badly damaged at all. Do not know about Port Lucia or the hotels there for a longer stay which this cruise line offers.

18 hours ago, John Reid said:

I'm on the 10/6 Pride. I know they have excursions listed for Freeport.

You will probably get official word for Freeport if cancelled sometime next week.

I am on the 10/20 Pride Cruise. Grand Turk and HMC stops are already good enough for me. If Freeport is not available and it is another sea day I am good with it. Though if Freeport is open I will be sure to provide a contribution to the local economy at a couple shops. 

I have been watching ship traffic into Freeport for the past 3 weeks.   Its amazing the amount of traffic every day and night. The ports are constanty busy with various cargo, crane and other ships. I will be surprised that they will be able to handle more than 2 cruise ships on a given day for the next couple of months.  But cruise ships mean dollars to the port and port employees, so getting the port up and running is a big step for the local economy.  

Edited by CruiseHealing

3 hours ago, Senvy797 said:

Question - if one of the port is cancelled, does the ship refund for missing a port or no?  I heard from some that they do if guests inquire about it at the information desk.  

This answer is maybe.

They've been refunding port fees for Freeport, but nothing else that I've seen (nor am I saying they need to provide anything beyond that). They were offering that guests could donate those fees back to a Freeport fund also. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 7:20 PM, Senvy797 said:

Question - if one of the port is cancelled, does the ship refund for missing a port or no?  I heard from some that they do if guests inquire about it at the information desk.  

Carnival will refund the taxes and port fees if they are less than when booked, but if they substitute another port the charges might be a wash.

I was on the 9/16 Sunrise that was scheduled for 3 days at Bermuda but switched to 1 day at Charleston.  We received about $13pp on boarding then another $40pp when Bermuda was canceled completely.  Original taxes & fees were around $250pp.

On 9/26/2019 at 9:39 AM, 1025cruise said:

I know with other ports after the last major hurricane, in some cases it took almost a year or slightly longer before the island was ready cruise visitors.

With the last major hurricane, they went back within a month to some ports like St. Martin and San Juan. We went 5 weeks after St. Martin was nearly wiped clean and there was widespread damage everywhere, electricity not restored, and locals were surprised to see the ship. We were on one of two Carnival tours that somehow wasn't canceled. The local company found someone to piece together a walking food tour. She was grateful for the money but was obviously stressed to put something together. We waited at the pier for an hour (people did start griping as it was in the 90's and the shade trees were stumps and the awnings were blown away--wow was that embarrassing to be associated with such people) while she sent runners and made calls to find anyone with a generator and enough food to make appetizers for our group. She was apologetic but did a really good job getting drinks, 3 dishes, and a dessert just like the tour stated, although at alternative places. She even showed us the destroyed original restaurants. Two really good things about that tour, she and the restaurants got huge tips and praise, and no one in the group complained once the tour started...which was a big surprise.