Two weeks in Canada & New England on the revolutionized Summit: my review with photos

Turtles06

On 10/4/2019 at 2:57 PM, Turtles06 said:

Fort at Louisberg and Cape Breton 

Reference to post  by Turtles....

Looks like a great tour we might try bext time we are there..love your photos and comments.

We did a ship's excursion to the Bell museum..https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Graham_Bell_National_Historic_Site

We enjoyed that port...learned  so much about Cape Breton Isl....music, history, food and culture.

We have also enjoyed Halifax sev times...so much to do and enjoy! Great photos of the Public Gardens  and everything else

This is certainly one of  the best reviews on Cruise Critic.

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

Turtles06 - I hope you don't mind me adding a few comments on Halifax.  Great review and thanks for all the details.  I'm sure we passed each other somewhere along the way.

In Halifax we did a few different things that you probably did on your previous visit.  We originally planned on a private excursion, but cancelled it after some tour concerns.  We ended up booking HOHO through Princess since it included entrances to the Citadel and Maritime Museum.  We spent over 2 hours at the Citadel reading a well documented history of the Citadel and Canada's involvement in conflicts around the world.  We exited the HOHO at stop 11 to stroll along the waterfront boardwalk back to the Caribbean Princess shuttle stop.  Along the boardwalk are a number of restaurants, shops and metal sculptures depicting Halifax historical events and personalities.  

After lunch of another lobster roll (Peake's in Charlottetown remained in first place) we headed to the Maritime Museum.  The museum contains a history of Halifax maritime activities including the disastrous 1917 maritime explosion that wiped out part of the City with heavy casualties.    Luckily we were running out of time so the ladies didn't have time for heavy shopping.  A fun day that was too short with our 4PM departure.

Thanks again for the great review.

Citadel - 1.jpg

Cunard - 1.jpg

Summit - 1 (1).jpg

2 hours ago, YLTraveler said:

Turtles06 - I hope you don't mind me adding a few comments on Halifax.  Great review and thanks for all the details.  I'm sure we passed each other somewhere along the way.

Thanks for reading and for the very kind words.   And thanks for your comments and photos.  We did visit the Citadel last year; I'm glad you got to see it, and glad you enjoyed the Maritime Museum.  It will continue to be on our "must visit" list.

On our first visit to Halifax, last year, no one was docked where you were this time, so I hadn't realized that cruise ships could be docked out there and was surprised to see the Caribbean Princess there when we arrived.  From what you posted, it sounds like your ship had shuttles running to and from the waterfront. 

Given our ports in common, I do like to think that we passed each other somewhere along the way, maybe even in Halifax when you took your photo above of Mr. Cunard, and I took this one:

enhance

I love the photo you took of the Summit and Escape as you sailed away.  And here's mine of the Caribbean Princess at the same time.  I think I see you on deck!  🤣   Happy travels!

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06

Sadly, the cruise was now ending.  Our disembarkation day began at dawn, as the Summit neared the Verrazzano.  We sailed under the bridge, and soon had a beautiful view of lower Manhattan as the sun was coming up.   The Summit turned to back into the pier, giving us more views of New York Harbor, as well as the Tear Drop Memorial right next to the pier.

Once off the ship (which was pretty quick), getting through Immigration/Customs took seconds, as the agents were using facial recognition technology.  Big Brother is indeed watching us, but at least it was fast.  Seriously, this was probably the easiest disembarkation we've ever had.  (Well, until we found that the battery in our late-model car had died after sitting for two weeks, but we knew that was possible on new cars with all the electronics running in the background.  As it turned out, there's a truck driving around the Cape Liberty garage just to jump start cars, and so we were soon on our way.  We did have our own portable jump starter just in case.)

Here are a few final images from our sail-in to Cape Liberty.  Thank you to everyone who has read along, and to the very kind comments you have posted; I really appreciate them.   If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.  Happy and safe travels to all!

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)  

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 3

I lived in Québec City for a couple of years, and regularly attend for business.  Your pictures and comments are a pure delight.  Very representative of the city's beauty and charm,  Your entire review is excellent.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Turtles06. This is one of the most enjoyable threads I've ever followed on CC. I began following because we are going on the Summit next May, but I really enjoyed your photos of Canada/NE, since we did that itinerary last year.

• Thanks 1

Oh, Turtles06, so sad your review has come to an end!  Please promise to review all of your cruises.  This itinerary is definitely on my list as I adore Quebec City, have New Englanders in my family history and have always had a fascination with PEI, Halifax, etc.  And of course, those lobster rolls,  Here in Southern California we have the lobstatruck that visits my town once a week and they're decent but nothing like my favorite memory of the roadside ones in New England.  We miss the ambiance of sitting on a wooden picnic table next to the casual stand in the middle of nowhere.

Your review was the perfect balance of ship and port info.  And I always appreciate candid opinions.  So, thank you very much.

Edited by sealover155
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LibrarianBecky said:

Thank you for the beautiful photos and entertaining review!  I hadn't really considered this itinerary before, but after reading your review, I think I would like it!

This is an excellent itinerary.  Nice balance between sea days and shore days.  I'd do it again.

On 9/26/2019 at 7:18 PM, Turtles06 said:

The food in the MDR did not warrant putting up with the discomfort, and we found ourselves frequently eating dinner in the buffet, where we enjoyed the food and our ability to dine just with each other.  

That was also our experience lately on Millie and Reflection.....

Thank you for a riveting and well written review.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much!!! Loved your writing style and the pictures were so good! We did a similar route on the QM2 when she was brand new R/T out of NYC. We are on this cruise next October but we have 1 extra port Saint John NB.

I made lots of notes and put it in my folder for this cruise! Anxious to try all your lunch spots!! Thanks again!!! LuAnn

• Thanks 1

I just wanted to add my thanks for your very finely detailed posts! We are sailing on her this spring for a similar cruise, minus Quebec and Charlottetown, and this will be first cruise on a M class, and second cruise ever (first was Equinox this past spring). Beyond giving us a glimpse of the ship, I really appreciate you covering the ports of call in such detail and really helps give us some ideas on what to plan and visit. I'd no idea about those gardens in Halifax and now we have gleefully added that to our list of things to do. As we aren't experienced cruisers, we were anxious about the size and age of the Summit compared to our first experience on Equinox, which was almost magical. This really has set our minds at ease.

• Thanks 1