measuring luggage

racnwdow

Yes.  The height measurement is from the floor to the highest point of the bag.  If you handle sticks out from the bag when folded in, that is the top.    Now, the 62 inches is the total dimensions - height x width x depth.   A lot of people forget about "depth" - how much you have stuffed that bag and it is now bulging...

Yes.   And 4 wheel spinners will almost always have less interior packing room than 2 wheel rollaboards.   

Also, if you are buying luggage in person, bring a tape measure.    If you are buying online, look for Q&As discussing the actual measurements.   I have found that many carry on bags that purport to be 22x14x9 inches are larger, particularly in the height, often around 23 inches.  

And the same with the other dimensions.  Handles are included.  Wheels are included.  Pockets and whatever - included.

Slider -- I know what you meant, but I think it is more accurately phrased as Height + Width + Depth.  Otherwise 62 cubic inches isn't much.  🙂

Also be aware that not all airlines have the same guidance.  Many European and Asia height vs the NA height guidance.  Weight restrictions are all over the map.  More often either 8 or sometimes 10kg.  We have done carry on only on five flights in the last month.  Transat and Aegean.  Never had our carry sized or weighed.  This is not the case with  some other airlines.  We are ok for size but usually hit 9-10 kg on weight.  If they weigh we simply carry some heavier items in our hands or pockets.

Edited by iancal

As others have said it is the true dimensions of the luggage including handles/wheels, etc.

You might know this already but when you purchase luggage on line or at the store often the dimensions are not accurate.  If it says 22" often it is larger than that because either it is just flat wrong or it does not include the handles and wheels, etc.  

It took us awhile to find a true 22" piece when we purchased new ones.  We went to look at some at the stores and used Amazon Prime so anything we ordered we could easily return without being charged for return shipping.

Also even for carry-ons even though less frequent with USA based airlines some airlines do weight the luggage.

Keith

Absolutely do not depend on the misleading labels.  They all seem to say lightweight these days however our experience is that there is a great deal of difference between brands labelled as light weight.  

I ended up with a 38 litre Eaglecreek rolling duffle (two wheel). So far, after four trips and multiple flights it has passed the occasional size and weight checks.  DW has a Rick Steves rolling carry on.  It is a good bag but unfortunately sized for US carry on refs, not international.

On 9/26/2019 at 2:03 PM, FlyerTalker said:

And the same with the other dimensions.  Handles are included.  Wheels are included.  Pockets and whatever - included.

Slider -- I know what you meant, but I think it is more accurately phrased as Height + Width + Depth.  Otherwise 62 cubic inches isn't much.  🙂

Yes, you are right.  I was thinking of "by" instead of "plus" - dimensions vs total inches...

Weight is another issue. And just because your suitcase was acceptable on one flight doesn’t mean the same airline will accept it on another.

One of our travels included 3 flights on Austrian airlines; same equipment (Airbus 320/ 321) on all 3, and same items in our carry-ons. Two flights, no problem; unacceptable on the third so we had to pay to have them checked. (And because our checked luggage had already been taken, we could not re-pack.

• 2 weeks later...

We have had five Aegean Air flights in the past six weeks with two more to go. DH8’s and 320’s.

We both do carry on.  On one flight DW was asked to check.  Not because of size or weight.  Really not certain but the DH8 was full.  Last one was on a 320.  DW was stopped at the gate.  The agent weighed her bag and then allowed to to board with the carry on.