Saudi Arabia Opens to Tourists, Cruise Visits??!!

TLCOhio

Interesting news this morning from the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and other major news sources as relates to potential future travel in the Middle East.  From the NY Times this morning, they had this headline: Saudi Arabia Plans to Let More Foreign Tourists Have Visas” with these highlights: So, who wants to go to Saudi Arabia? The government is about to find out.  The country said on Friday that it would open up the country to international tourists, announcing a new visa program for citizens of 49 countries that is intended to diversify the economy and reduce the kingdom’s dependence on oil.

Clearly many experienced travelers are always looking for new and different locations.  Here is more from the NYT story: "Ahmed al-Khateeb, Saudi Arabia’s tourism chief, said in a statement that opening the kingdom to international tourists was 'a historic moment for our country.'  The statement noted that country hoped tourism to form up to 10 percent of Saudi Arabia’s annual gross domestic product, compared with the current 3 percent.  Further details about the visas are expected after a formal announcement on Friday evening of the program at an event in Diriyah, home to the first capital of the Saudi dynasty and a Unesco World Heritage Site.  'Visitors will be surprised and delighted by the treasures we have to share,' Mr. al-Khateeb said in the statement, citing the country’s five world heritage sites and 'a vibrant local culture and breathtaking natural beauty.' "

From the Wall Street Journal, they had this headline and sub-head: "Saudi Arabia Opens Kingdom to Foreign Tourists.  Introduction of tourism visas comes at a moment of economic fragility for the kingdom".

But, there are many different issues and questions as to this specific nation, how it operates, its history, restrictions on certain freedoms, etc.  How long before cruise lines add stops to allow visiting Saudi Arabia as a part of their Middle East sailings such as that we enjoyed late last year?  Reactions from others?  How interested are you to visit this previously closed off part of the world?

Full stories at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/27/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-tourist-visas.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-arabia-opens-kingdom-to-foreign-tourists-11569586198

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, you can see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 16,003 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

From this New York Times story, here is a visual by one of their photographers.  It is of a tour guide at the ancient ruins of Mada’in Saleh, in northwestern Saudi Arabia.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1376046477_ScreenShot2019-09-27at9_38_33AM.thumb.png.7d647d5eca4a792fc25b27612ff6ed01.png

Well a stop in Jeddah would break up the trip through the Red Sea.  But I would be a little disappointed if that happens.  I have a Dubai to Venice trip booked in April and doubt I would return to that region again.  It would have been a welcome addition; but I doubt it will be added to the existing itineraries.  I am sewing an abaja for UAE mosque visits anyway so I'm willing to wear it in port there if it saves me some hassles but gets me into the country.  Not all women would agree however.

On 9/28/2019 at 11:28 AM, mef_57 said:

Well a stop in Jeddah would break up the trip through the Red Sea.  But I would be a little disappointed if that happens.  I have a Dubai to Venice trip booked in April and doubt I would return to that region again.  It would have been a welcome addition; but I doubt it will be added to the existing itineraries.  I am sewing an abaja for UAE mosque visits anyway so I'm willing to wear it in port there if it saves me some hassles but gets me into the country.  Not all women would agree however.

Appreciate these great comments and this follow-up about your upcoming Middle East travels. Good luck on that "adventure"!!  Late last year, as my live/blog detailed, we super loved our exploring of these historic and scenic areas.  So much to see and do in this region.  Assume you have been to Venice previously, right?  Such a wonderful travel superstar!! 

From Bloomberg News four days ago, they had this headline: “Saudi Arabia Drops Dress Code for Foreign Women in Tourism Push” with these highlights: “Saudi Arabia will drop its strict dress code for foreign women as it seeks for the first time to lure holidaymakers and the spending that could help develop the kingdom’s economy away from its reliance on oil.  Foreign women won’t have to wear an abaya, the flowing cloak that’s been mandatory attire for decades, though they’ll be instructed to wear 'modest clothing,' said Ahmed Al-Khateeb, chairman of the Saudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage.  On Saturday, the government will open applications for online tourist visas for citizens of 49 countries.”   Will continue to following this evolving story with interest.  

Full story at:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-26/saudi-arabia-opens-to-foreign-tourists-and-their-foreign-ways

Just completed Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Lots of visuals and details from our first visits to these scenic areas!!  That live/blog is at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

On 9/27/2019 at 9:48 PM, TLCOhio said:

Interesting news this morning from the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and other major news sources as relates to potential future travel in the Middle East.  From the NY Times this morning, they had this headline: Saudi Arabia Plans to Let More Foreign Tourists Have Visas” with these highlights: So, who wants to go to Saudi Arabia? The government is about to find out.  The country said on Friday that it would open up the country to international tourists, announcing a new visa program for citizens of 49 countries that is intended to diversify the economy and reduce the kingdom’s dependence on oil.

Sorry Terry,

With MBS in charge and his cronies I will be avoiding Saudi Arabia, especially after what they did to Khashoggi and the cover-up. The worst part is their attacks on Yemen.

I saw an interview on Bloomberg Business by their ? tourism minister how they were trying to make it easier for female tourists and it didn't appeal.

Julie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Sorry Terry,  With MBS in charge and his cronies I will be avoiding Saudi Arabia, especially after what they did to Khashoggi and the cover-up. The worst part is their attacks on Yemen.  I saw an interview on Bloomberg Business by their ? tourism minister how they were trying to make it easier for female tourists and it didn't appeal.  Julie

YES, Julie, you raise very serious and important questions and issues related to Saudi Arabia and their history of "activities" that are not acceptable.  Saudi Arabia, seems, maybe, to be trying to "modernize" and evolve from their past history.  We'll see??!! 

Clearly, other countries such as Russia, Cuba and China have had their negative pasts, plus many highly-questionable current activities.  Egypt, Turkey, etc., have some current serious questions and doubts in many areas related to their leaders (or dictators)!!??  Personally, I have visited Russia, Cuba, Egypt, Turkey, Hong Kong, etc.  Hope to visit mainland China in the future.  Will watch with interest what does and does not happen related to Saudi Arabia and its "leadership family".  Our visiting late last year to Oman, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, etc., has given us added interest for visiting and exploring more in these various Middle East areas. Only time will tell what happens. Appreciate Julie's sharing and comments.  

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 248,823 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On 10/1/2019 at 4:54 PM, frantic36 said:

With MBS in charge and his cronies I will be avoiding Saudi Arabia, especially after what they did to Khashoggi and the cover-up. The worst part is their attacks on Yemen.

I saw an interview on Bloomberg Business by their ? tourism minister how they were trying to make it easier for female tourists and it didn't appeal.

Ditto!

On 10/10/2019 at 12:06 PM, little britain said:

I saw a full length electronic advert in Times Square NY on Monday promoting trips to Saudi.  I'd love to go there.

Appreciate this above posting about the electronic ad in Times Square promoting trips to Saudi Arabia.  Also, understand the posts from those with no interest in traveling there.   Solid reasons and factors on both sides.  As noted, I am in the "I'd love to go there" category.  Will be interesting to see how these offerings and options evolve during the upcoming months.  Don't think I would want to travel there for a few years to see how the options and opportunities are working and being experienced by others during this initial travel period.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 237,601 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 1

I lived in Riyad, Saudi Arabia for five years (81-85) working for the US Army Corps of Engineers.

Living there was actually pretty good, we had our own compounds with armed guards.  We were able to travel a lot.

I know the country has five times the population now than in 85 and it is more modern.

I know some changes have liberalized in recent years, but I can't imagine tourists going there.   

Non-Muslims can't go to Mecca.

I do remember snorkeling in the Red Sea and the coral is fantastic.

Taif, inland from Jedda is an interesting city, but I just don't see tourism.  There were no movie theaters there. Alcohol is illegal. '