Carambola or Marriott for a beach day

klytus

We are going to be in St Kitts next month and we are still trying to decide on a beach.  We were originally thinking we'd just do the Marriott Day pass but came across Carambola Beach Club.  When we're in port we'll be the only ship but the ship offers an excursion to Carambola and don't know how or if that will affect the crowds there.  What have been some of your experience at these places?

On 9/27/2019 at 5:46 PM, klytus said:

We are going to be in St Kitts next month and we are still trying to decide on a beach.  We were originally thinking we'd just do the Marriott Day pass but came across Carambola Beach Club.  When we're in port we'll be the only ship but the ship offers an excursion to Carambola and don't know how or if that will affect the crowds there.  What have been some of your experience at these places?

To paraphrase Shakespeare.

"To T'erd or not to T'erd, that is the question"

On 9/27/2019 at 12:46 PM, klytus said:

I've been to both. Personally I would never book a ship excursion to a beach unless it was the only way to get there (st. Barts from st. Martin...). Both are in the same general area but Marriott is on the Atlantic side. I'd take the Marriott any day. Pool and beach vs rows of chairs and beach.

• 2 months later...

We just came back from an independent visit to Carambola Beach. We rented jet skis $60 for 30 min. Two companies on that beach offer them. This was was phenomenally fun as there were crazy big waves to jump over. The beach was jam packed with FOUR ships in port, but many people left early and we just moved to the first row of chairs eventually. The facilities are quite nice: classy bar/restaurant and clean restrooms and showers. $30 to rent two chairs and one umbrella. Cheap cab ride (12 each way for four people) with a stop at a lookout where you can see both the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea.

Edited by mary_228
additional notes
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Shine said:

Why is that?

As posted on numerous occasions

1. T'erds

2. Overcrowding 

3. Mayhem

4. Noise

5. Babylon

Not a destination for Genteel Cruisers

If a GC then consider the Marriott or Sunshine's on Nevis

There are Carambola Cheerleaders who do not notice T'erds etc, and could the reason for this be because they..........

1 hour ago, Shine said:

OK, thanks.  Can you tell me how long from pier to Marriott?

15/20 minutes

Remember to follow the TTE protocol.... copy/paste below

Here is TTE's definitive protocol for the Marriott.

I've have never made reservations once on our visits to the Marriott, when are you going?? Between now and Christmas you won't need anything but a smile and a credit card for your $35.00(Please don't pay the booking fee.) day pass at the St. Kitts Marriott. 

It's this simple, when your taxi drops you off in front of the Marriott, you walk directly towards the concierge desk to your left with a big smile, credit card in hand, they're going to ask you what ship you are on, IF you happen to be cruising on a Carnival Cruise Ship, lie😄 and tell them your cruising on either a Princess, Royal Caribbean or even Holland America if you have too, hand them your credit card when she hands you your receipt walk over to the elevator get in it and hit THE BEACH button, walk out and go have a great day! 

First thing's first, go back to the bar order a good bloody mary and get a tab started, yep break out that credit card again. 😁

You'll figure out the rest.

If you have 4-5 people in your group I would not only consider a day room, I would do a day room same price altogether you get a nice room for the day to keep your stuff and go and get out of the sun for a few it's nice, only way to go 4 or more. 

Have fun!!

7 hours ago, sandc4e said:

What's a T'erd?  Sorry for my ignorance?

T'erds is a word constructed by my Bajan friends, being a combination of two words

Towels and Herds.  The T from Towels and 'erds from Herds to describe some tourists. 

TOWELS:

Arrive by the cheapest means; deliberately take the most annoying spot on the beach to spoil a view of paying clients; spread the ship's Towles; constantly repeat the mantra "beaches are free" like a demented parrot; do not spend anything at the resort; bring food and drink browsed from the ship's buffet, all wrapped in a ship's napkin; bury their picnic debris in the sand; use the sea, beach and all the venue's facilities for free; if there is charge for toilets, decline and use the sea; return to the ship by the cheapest means. 

Then when back in the Ship boast they spent the day at Carambola (Kim Sha et al) taking lunch and drinks there.

HERDS:

Arrive loudly en masse; stay loudly; have shouting conversations on their mobiles, or with other herd members, albeit 2 feet or 20 yards way; bring coolers full of Supermarket bought beer and food, then demand ice for free; bring boom boxes and play on highest volume; sometimes pay for beds but insist a colony of friends is created; complain about the price of venue's food as the reason for buying a single slice of pizza.  

Seek to use Hotel or Beach facilities for free, failing that, turn the sea into a Urinal (aka going for a swim)

Abuse or ridicule other guests, and members of the venue's staff, solely for the group's amusement.

Basically, it's a group who knowingly do everything possible to spoil the genteel ambience of the venue, and to annoy as many people as it is physically possible. 

Then leave loudly en masse.

Other items of annoyance can be added to each of the above definitions as required.

• Like 2

We chose the Marriott in summer 2018.   Due to the wind direction the beach was LOADED with seaweed and totally unusable.  Like they were using a front end loader and a dump truck to haul it away.  It was smelly and horrible.   We spent the day at the lovely pool, but we really wanted a beach.  Not sure how often that happens.

6 hours ago, kstetser said:

We chose the Marriott in summer 2018.   Due to the wind direction the beach was LOADED with seaweed and totally unusable.  Like they were using a front end loader and a dump truck to haul it away.  It was smelly and horrible.   We spent the day at the lovely pool, but we really wanted a beach.  Not sure how often that happens.

Travel durning the "hurricane season" of June to November (worse July to September) will evidence heavy seas and strong tidal movements.  Hence the seaweed.

Best to go December to January.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/9/2020 at 3:57 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

T'erds is a word constructed by my Bajan friends, being a combination of two words

Towels and Herds.  The T from Towels and 'erds from Herds to describe some tourists. 

TOWELS:

Arrive by the cheapest means; deliberately take the most annoying spot on the beach to spoil a view of paying clients; spread the ship's Towles; constantly repeat the mantra "beaches are free" like a demented parrot; do not spend anything at the resort; bring food and drink browsed from the ship's buffet, all wrapped in a ship's napkin; bury their picnic debris in the sand; use the sea, beach and all the venue's facilities for free; if there is charge for toilets, decline and use the sea; return to the ship by the cheapest means. 

Then when back in the Ship boast they spent the day at Carambola (Kim Sha et al) taking lunch and drinks there.

HERDS:

Arrive loudly en masse; stay loudly; have shouting conversations on their mobiles, or with other herd members, albeit 2 feet or 20 yards way; bring coolers full of Supermarket bought beer and food, then demand ice for free; bring boom boxes and play on highest volume; sometimes pay for beds but insist a colony of friends is created; complain about the price of venue's food as the reason for buying a single slice of pizza.  

Seek to use Hotel or Beach facilities for free, failing that, turn the sea into a Urinal (aka going for a swim)

Abuse or ridicule other guests, and members of the venue's staff, solely for the group's amusement.

Basically, it's a group who knowingly do everything possible to spoil the genteel ambience of the venue, and to annoy as many people as it is physically possible. 

Then leave loudly en masse.

Other items of annoyance can be added to each of the above definitions as required.

So AWESOME, wish I was half this intelligent. Simple Brilliance. 

Thanks PORT ROYAL.

Todd's back. 

The pandemic, I never had so much as a sniffle. My beloved Princess Cruises has been decimated though. I'm not sure what to think or how to proceed in playing on the planet like we did before. 

23 hours ago, TTEllis said:

So AWESOME, wish I was half this intelligent. Simple Brilliance. 

Thanks PORT ROYAL.

Todd's back. 

The pandemic, I never had so much as a sniffle. My beloved Princess Cruises has been decimated though. I'm not sure what to think or how to proceed in playing on the planet like we did before. 

Welcome back.... your postings of thoughtful insights were missed by true cruisers.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Welcome back.... your postings of thoughtful insights were missed by true cruisers.

Thanks hope you're staying healthy PORT ROYAL, going to be here most of the summer with you folks trying to find myself a nice sailing for sometime next fall 2021, we need to hook up either on St. Kitts or Fort de France Martinique or both and drink local rhum together. 

I'll find something and let you know, I have got to get on a ship next year. 

Take care Todd

On 5/7/2020 at 12:25 AM, TTEllis said:

Thanks hope you're staying healthy PORT ROYAL, going to be here most of the summer with you folks trying to find myself a nice sailing for sometime next fall 2021, we need to hook up either on St. Kitts or Fort de France Martinique or both and drink local rhum together. 

I'll find something and let you know, I have got to get on a ship next year. 

Take care Todd

A beach bar in Martinique with some good short Rhums and long conversations is something to carry forward.  Maybe in late 2022 if DW feels comfortable to sail the Caribbean after being bitten in Barbados (mild strain of Zica) two years ago which luckily had no serious complications.  

We'll keep in touch though.

Stay safe.

On 5/8/2020 at 8:00 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

A beach bar in Martinique with some good short Rhums and long conversations is something to carry forward.  Maybe in late 2022 if DW feels comfortable to sail the Caribbean after being bitten in Barbados (mild strain of Zica) two years ago which luckily had no serious complications.  

Stay safe.

PORT ROYAL where I come from mosquito bites can kill you or make you very sick for a long time. Actually where I come from everything out in the woods is considered poisonous. If you happen not to consider something out in the woods poisonous it could end up killing you. Happens more often than not. 

Always pack 2 cans of bug spray when I leave the US, right before I leave my cabin to spend the day on any island I use it, nothing comes near me all day. 

Get bit by a skeeter today leaves a Huge terrible sore spot and can cost you everything. Children, seniors with compromised immunity a mosquito bite can get the best of them, a bite can be very unpleasant at a bare minimum 

Moral of my story USE BUG SPRAY, sillyhead!! Have a nice evening. Night night

On 5/8/2020 at 8:00 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Stay safe.

PORT ROYAL

It may be late 2022 for all of us btw, everything just keeps getting pushed back more and more. Personallly I don't think anybody has any idea when the ships will be back in service again.

I had a genuine interest in the 20 day(2-10 day back to back) on the Enchanted Princess this Nov. 25th, the ship isn't even finished yet, and now there in no hurry to finish it much less get it ready for passengers that no longer exist. 

Btw those 2 separate 10 day itineraries offered by Princess the Southern Caribbean Explorer and the Eastern Caribbean Islander done both of them several times BUT never done them together, I don't do 10 day sailings anymore. The math just doesn't work, it's almost at a point where 14 day sailings don't work anymore unless I spend about a week pre cruise in my case in Ft. Lauderdale chillin out on the beach. I can't spend months working on a 10 day vacation, thats funny math that doesn't work. 

Yes a beach bar in Martinique with some good short Rhums and long conversation is absolutely something to carry on. I'm all for it, hopefully we get to do that sooner than later. 

Take care Todd

• 1 year later...
On 1/10/2020 at 4:21 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Travel durning the "hurricane season" of June to November (worse July to September) will evidence heavy seas and strong tidal movements.  Hence the seaweed.

Best to go December to January.

We are cruising in mid July '22...Dec/Jan not feasible. I guess I'm not really convinced you can predict what the weather will be like in St. Kitts on our day there anymore than anyone else, myself included.

With that, and not knowing what TTE even means, I gather it's your considered opinion that the Marriott is THE location to spend a day at?