Suggestions for Soufriere as a port

new_cruiser

Our 14-day b2b cruise includes 3 port stops in St. Lucia - one day in Castries moving that evening to Pigeon Island for the next day (that is probably the day that they will hold a beach BBQ with the water toys at the beach). The third stop is some days later at Soufriere. We are in Soufriere from 8 AM to 4 PM. 

All of what I've found here for Soufriere is based on the time constraints of getting their from Castries. I'm looking for suggestions of what to do with a longer day at Soufriere.

Can we pick up a rental car somewhere in town?

Tet Paul Nature Trail looks interesting - would it be good? How hard a trail is it?

I also see Diamond Botanical Gardens.

Other suggestions?

We are pretty broad in our interests; we like gardens, nature and wildlife, culture and history, some snorkeling but not into hanging out at the beach for hours. Not much into shopping, though sometimes crafts and local markets are worth a look.

23 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

Our 14-day b2b cruise includes 3 port stops in St. Lucia - one day in Castries moving that evening to Pigeon Island for the next day (that is probably the day that they will hold a beach BBQ with the water toys at the beach). The third stop is some days later at Soufriere. We are in Soufriere from 8 AM to 4 PM. 

All of what I've found here for Soufriere is based on the time constraints of getting their from Castries. I'm looking for suggestions of what to do with a longer day at Soufriere.

Can we pick up a rental car somewhere in town?

Tet Paul Nature Trail looks interesting - would it be good? How hard a trail is it?

I also see Diamond Botanical Gardens.

Other suggestions?

We are pretty broad in our interests; we like gardens, nature and wildlife, culture and history, some snorkeling but not into hanging out at the beach for hours. Not much into shopping, though sometimes crafts and local markets are worth a look.

As yoirw right in Soufriere, you're in luck. It will definitely be a tender port, so that shaves a little time off your port time, but you're still good.

Skip renting a car, the roads are narrow and unmarked, it's much easier to hire a driver for the day, sit back and relax. You can pre-book with a company like Christopher Taxi or More Then a Cab or Island Man Taxi and Tours - they'll meet you right at the pier, etc. 

Tet Paul trail is wonderful, about an hour walk with lots if info, unrivaled views, aboit 10-12 minutes from Soufriere town proper.  

Maybe a plantation tour at Find Doux right at the base of Tet Paul and lunch there then finish off with some time at Piton Falls mineral baths and soak away any stress or aches and pains.  

Or Tet Paul, Diamond Falls and Botanical Gardens, lunch at Fedo's and some Beach time at Soufriere Beach park.  

Or Tet Paul, Maranatha Gardens, lunch at Beacon and Soufriere Beach park.

Or Tet Paul, Morne Coubaril estate for plantation tour and zip line course, with lunch and back to ship.

Or Tet Paul, Jerusalem Falls, lunch in town.

Or volcano and mud baths, Toraille waterfall swim then Tet Paul trail with lunch in there somewhere...

And so forth. Soufriere is full of things to do without ever sitting on a beach if you don't want to... All within 30 minutes of the pier. 

Enjoy.

• 4 months later...

Thank you for the help. We had a great time in Soufriere. I had emailed several of the taxi services you suggested.  Vicky from More Than a Cab responded that she had another couple from our ship who wanted a similar tour and she could take us too. They were going to Tet Paul, the volcano & Diamond Falls and Botanical Garden. We didn't care much about the volcano, but we're okay with adding it.

Vicky was great. She gave us info on the area as she drove. At Tet Paul, she set us up with a guide, Denver. At the volcano, she took us to the interpretive center for a film about the geology and went with us through the exhibits before taking us to the volcano outlet where we had a short guided walk. She guided us at the botanical garden.

The cost was reasonable and we enjoyed being in a small group.