Currently on the Sunshine

Gettys84

On 9/28/2019 at 2:20 PM, gatime said:

Gettys84 How was the new cake? Is it worth the carbs? I've been carb free eating for the past 7 months and my next cruise is in about three weeks on the Sunshine. Enjoy yourselves !

🙂 

I had the cakes on my Breeze cruise in March, and they were well worth the carbs. Everyone’s tastes are different and subjective. I have an uncontrollable sweet tooth, and love all deserts. 

• Thanks 1

Following along. Can’t wait for your opinion of steakhouse, as we want to book that for our February cruise on the Glory. But I noticed you didn’t go to MDR for elegant night. That’s the one night I’d never miss! I LOVE Lobster, Spaghetti Carbonara and everything else on menu! Can’t wait to read more of your review.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:39 PM, Gettys84 said:

We had the same boarding window. We got to the port to park at 10:30. We were on the ship at 11:20!  Loving this ship so far. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

The parking lot opens at 10 am. We had Faster to the Fun and the shuttles started heading to the ship at 11 am. We boarded the ship by 11:15 and were in our cabin by 11:30 am. Port charges $20 a day to park. Handicap Plachard parking is free, (Must have person in the car that is issued the Plachard),  Pre-pay online or credit card at the Port, NO CASH PAYMENTS ACCEPTED.

There's a great thread on the East Coast Departures board with all sorts of useful info about sailing from Charleston.  Yes, they have very old, limited facilities.  They cannot begin parking early since the parking lot is full.  They cannot begin boarding until everyone is off the ship.  It's an small, 1-story terminal and there's nowhere to put arriving pax until the departing ones are gone.

I personally think they do a great job with the limitations.

People just need to be aware of those limitations and plan accordingly!

Been off MSC Armonia for a week now (my 3rd consecutive on MSC) and must say that their pizza is just so much better than I've had on any other line.  I hadn't had any on Carnival for years but finally tried it on the Horizon TA and it was better than it used to be.  Not as good as MSC (as one would expect from an Italian line!).  I did miss the deli, though!

Sorry for the long delay. We rented twizy electric cars in Bermuda. They were awesome! We got to keep them for 24 hours so parked them at the port over night. The cost was $130. Had to take the Ferry over time Hamilton to pick them up. $4.50 each way for the ferry ride. The color of the water around Bermuda is unlike anything we have seen around the other islands in the Caribbean. 

C82028B2-A2F1-4E06-8F6C-4271C0126492.jpeg

2B4AAC36-7F7D-4ABA-819F-D1B73EB6DF28.jpeg

761130EC-C63E-4D8C-BA59-1AB39F15E95C.jpeg

2986CEF1-11E9-4327-9FC3-FD192B11C18A.jpeg

Edited by Gettys84

We plugged in the twizy in the old fort over night to charge. They have an app you can download and it shows you charging points. Would have never found this without watching a YouTube video. We took some footage and I will put together a video once we get home. 

DC91DE3E-54A5-4B86-AF29-D274F651ADF1.jpeg

027B9939-AA4D-46AD-B5DA-19A97746909B.jpeg

2 minutes ago, cruisequenn said:

Have you tried the steakhouse? Wondering how it is? 

We are trying it tomorrow night at 5:30 for the first time in 12 cruises!  We are excited. We are getting a little tired of the normal food to be honest. Not that it is bad it’s just always the same each cruise. 

Comedy club is pretty full 15 minutes from showtime at 7!  There is some weird seating locations on either side of the stage, you can not see the stage from the seats. We had dinner on lido again. It was elegant night but just was not feeling the MDR. 

3D6C2B68-2CDF-4D2E-9A5A-693F37A8ECB7.jpeg

A64998A9-3A5C-445E-BBF4-DBB8E551BBCD.jpeg

1 hour ago, mjrcruiser said:

I am really enjoying your review and pictures!  We live outside Raleigh, NC and have been wanting to sail on the Sunshine!  And we just love Charleston, too! 🙂 

Thanks for following along. Have not done a good job like we did on the Horizon first of the year with the review. We really like the sunshine. Glad it’s close to us and not the smaller older ships. 

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:50 PM, Gettys84 said:

View from our balcony. First time on port side for us. Sail away is at 4pm. They do not start the sail away party until 4:45. I am guessing that is so the sound does not disturb the expensive houses around the port. 😕

3A7D6DA2-EF5F-4F80-9A4E-07A4629561F7.jpeg

5488EE43-040E-4F97-BA27-F1FF548BABA7.jpeg

I just LOVE the port side....always book it when I cruise

On 9/29/2019 at 8:50 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

I had the cakes on my Breeze cruise in March, and they were well wort

h the carbs. Everyone’s tastes are different and subjective. I have an uncontrollable sweet tooth, and love all deserts. 

The new cakes are one of the things I am most looking forward to on our upcoming Breeze cruise . (Food wise, that is. 😉)