I love the Explorer lounge

zitsky

39 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

A planetarium? Really?  As in providing shows? Just seems a bit odd being that I thought all the ships are built to basically the same specs and overall design. Then again, it is the "Venus". Most interesting. 

Orion and Jupiter currently have one.

9 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

That's so cool....looking forward to it. 

You might do a search on "Planetarium" on Viking forums and you will see a lot written up on the Jupiter and Orion Planetariums.  Plus I believe some pictures.

I love astronomy and was very disappointed in what the Planetarium was used for back in May on the Jupiter (just for showing films on the ceiling), but have heard that it was now being used by astronomy lectures and more.  Sure hope so.  We are back on the Jupiter again in a couple months.  Will have to see if things have improved!

CC....thanks for additional info. Have to check it out when we're on the Venus in '21. They certainly have a lot of time to improve on things by then! I see you've been on 4 of the ocean ships. Except for how the Northern Lights trip ended, we really enjoyed our first cruise with Viking on the Sky. We have a few cruises coming up on bigger ships, so will be interesting to see how we like going back to a ship with many more passengers. I did like the very relaxed feel onboard Sky (well, until that Saturday morning anyway). It was the first time we were ever on a cruise with under a thousand guests. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 9:17 AM, Liz Masterson said:

Post some pictures! 🙂 I take my first Viking Cruise next summer... I always enjoy pictures of the ship.  I'm looking forward to the Explorers Lounge. All those books! All those views! Sounds like a great place to settle in for a sea day.

This is around the corner from the Viking Bar in the Living Room and one of our comfy spots 

67C9D81B-0D19-4823-88FE-3B9EF16A0FFB.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

This is around the corner from the Viking Bar in the Living Room and one of our comfy spots 

Ah yes!  You found our chairs!  🙂 

We loved the Explorer Lounge.  Our friends just got home from your Montreal - NY cruise on the SEA and as first time VOC'ers, were totally enamored with the Lounge - they kept sending us pictures of sitting having cappuccino's from those comfortable seats facing the front windows!  Made us envious for sure - til our next cruise.

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

I wish I had found that spot.  We didn't spend much time in the Living Room.

It is not the Explorer's Lounge but on Deck on on the other side of the ship from the Explorer's Desk.  In one piece of literature it was referred to as The Library---though not a separate room.

12 hours ago, zitsky said:

I wish I had found that spot.  We didn't spend much time in the Living Room.

It’s just before the area with the shops.  We usually spend quite a bit of time in this area near the stairs. We like the Living Room bar and usually make friends with one of the bartenders. We start there after lunch on sea days.  If there’s a lecturer we are interested in, we do that, then migrate up to the Explorer’s lounge mid afternoon. You can get tea there and Success Cake from Mamsen’s if you don’t want to do the whole tea thing. 

I love the Viking ships - so many great nooks!

On 10/16/2019 at 7:55 AM, Cyber Kat said:

It looks like the gentleman is wearing fleece pants.  Are "comfy" clothes acceptable around the ship during the day?  We are taking a Southern Caribbean cruise next year and DH plans to pack cargo shorts to meet dress code, but I'm sure he would be more comfortable in basketball shorts.  From the dress code online it sounded like the BB shorts would only be acceptable on sports deck and at the buffet.

2 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

It looks like the gentleman is wearing fleece pants.  Are "comfy" clothes acceptable around the ship during the day?  We are taking a Southern Caribbean cruise next year and DH plans to pack cargo shorts to meet dress code, but I'm sure he would be more comfortable in basketball shorts.  From the dress code online it sounded like the BB shorts would only be acceptable on sports deck and at the buffet.

Is this a serious question?  No one cares what you wear until dinner.

• Like 1

Yes, it is a serious question. 

This is our first time on Viking after sailing Carnival, Royal, NCL, and Princess where dress codes are very relaxed.  When we looked at Viking their dress code does seem more strict, depending on what is considered as exercise attire.  When on vacation my husband would typically wear the same type of clothes to the gym as he would to morning shows, trivia, or dining room breakfast or lunch. (Obviously he would change into fresh clothes after using the gym, but same type of clothes).  He would dress for dinner, but often change back to the athletic wear after dinner to go to performances.

Based on the dress code quoted below (specifically the bolded sections) we figured shorts were not acceptable anywhere on the lower decks after 6pm and only dress shorts, slacks, and jeans were acceptable during the day - not athletic shorts or sweat pants.

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM.

Even on Carnival he doesn't wear gym shorts to dinner 😉 

We try to be respectful of our cruise line's dress code and pack accordingly.  If I am reading exercise attire wrong then DH will be pleased.  It's easier for me since most of my skirts have elastic waists and can "grow" with me durning the cruise 🙂 

26 minutes ago, Cyber Kat said:

I thought this was a discussion about the Explorers Lounge, how are we now in yet another dress code discussion 🙄

There is no such thing as too many posts about dress code!  I can read those all day.

• Haha 2

We were on the Jupiter in July for the British Isles cruise, and we also have mixed feelings about the planetarium.  We saw 2 of the shows, one was 3D, and they were good.  However, you have to bend your neck the whole time to  look up at the ceiling where the show is projected.  Unfortunately the seats don't recline.  If you go to a show, try to get the few seats in the very back row--a little better sight line there.

On 10/17/2019 at 7:47 PM, Cyber Kat said:

I thought this was a discussion about the Explorers Lounge, how are we now in yet another dress code discussion 🙄

That's my fault 😞 I got distracted by one of the pictures and hoped I could get a quick answer - I should have realized dress code is controversial/over-discussed across all lines and not just the mainstream ones.  I'm sorry for taking it off topic, I'll try searching again for my answers.

59 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

That's my fault 😞 I got distracted by one of the pictures and hoped I could get a quick answer - I should have realized dress code is controversial/over-discussed across all lines and not just the mainstream ones.  I'm sorry for taking it off topic, I'll try searching again for my answers.

Quick!  Come up with a question about the lounge and all is forgiven. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1