New "fee" of $14/day on Perks Drink Package to be added?

Lady_Gamecock

1 hour ago, bikerunner said:

Personally I will still take the drink package, still coming out ahead with how much water and coffee/tea from the café I drink.  Also like trying many different wines and like the option if I don't like it get something else.  I tend to take 10-12 day cruises, only been on one 7 and cost wise it makes sense for me still to take the beverage package.  Plus I rather have all my costs as much as possible paid up front. 

For many I can see it would be better to take the OBC instead, but if I figure out the math for a 10 day cruise, saving 14 per night on not getting the drink package and taking the OBC instead of  at 150pp the break even point is 29 per day  I would easily go over that total

I've thought a lot about it and will also likely continue with the beverage package first as a perk. We always have booked with 2-3 included perks or purchase all 4, if a decent price.  I choose the OBC as the second perk and WiFi as the third perk.

I have made peace with the increase. They had many options to increase the price and the one they chose seems to make the most sense. They can trial and modify it much more easily than if they went up on the package cost when purchased outright. It could end up being a perk from TA's, as someone said, or even from X, as they might waive that $14/day as a promotion from time to time. We have purchased the package outright for charters and for a TA and have upgraded multiple times and would like to see the cost stay down for purchasing the Classic or upgrading to Premium. It is still a reasonable deal for us at this point, even with adding $98/PP for a 7 night cruise - we like the convenience and the ability to try new things.

A couple of caveats for us:

-the bottom line with the added $14/day PP needs to meet our price point

-the beverage service onboard needs to stay superb - we have had excellent beverage service on the last several cruises, with wine glasses kept filled, attentive bartenders and decent wine and liquor choices. If that deteriorates, we are out!

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/28/2019 at 4:53 AM, Lady_Gamecock said:

Friends, 

A nasty rumor is going around that recently (yesterday) there was a release from Celebrity to TAs that all Perk Drink Packages, will now have a $14/day surcharge charge, added upon embarkation. 

This amount is not a "tip", or an amount to upgrade the package to Premium, but a daily fee associated to having the perk.

Have any of you heard of this? I'm hoping this is simply a rumor, but the rumor spreader seemed fixed in their declaration and concluded with it was "in X's plans to implement" once they introduced the Premium Plus Package (which should be completely independent of this discussion).

Thanks to any help you all may be! This may change our future decisions on perks. 

Lady_G

It is not a rumour I read it this morning . It is true

5 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I've thought a lot about it and will also likely continue with the beverage package first as a perk. We always have booked with 2-3 included perks or purchase all 4, if a decent price.  I choose the OBC as the second perk and WiFi as the third perk.

I have made peace with the increase. They had many options to increase the price and the one they chose seems to make the most sense. They can trial and modify it much more easily than if they went up on the package cost when purchased outright. It could end up being a perk from TA's, as someone said, or even from X, as they might waive that $14/day as a promotion from time to time. We have purchased the package outright for charters and for a TA and have upgraded multiple times and would like to see the cost stay down for purchasing the Classic or upgrading to Premium. It is still a reasonable deal for us at this point, even with adding $98/PP for a 7 night cruise - we like the convenience and the ability to try new things.

A couple of caveats for us:

-the bottom line with the added $14/day PP needs to meet our price point

-the beverage service onboard needs to stay superb - we have had excellent beverage service on the last several cruises, with wine glasses kept filled, attentive bartenders and decent wine and liquor choices. If that deteriorates, we are out!

Thanks for doing all the typing for me, VT. I feel the same exact way!

• Like 1

We all should now be aware of the latest money woes regarding X's beverage packages.

Unfortunately, there are several other upcharges, add-ons, money laundering etc. on the horizon for our enjoyment. They include but are not limited to the following.

- $100.00 per cabin charge to have two (2) single beds pushed together to create one (1) queen. Note: if rooms are connecting, guests will push the beds together.

- Cabins with balconies shall have automatic sensors detecting each time the balcony door is opened. A $5.00 open-door fee will be added to the bill with each opening.

- Dirty dishes left outside the cabin must have $10.00 included to cover the cost of pick-up. No money, no pick-up.

- Elevators will become coin operated, 25 cents to go up, 50 cents to go down. This per person charge is intended to promote more exercise and fitness. I can see that.

- Tickets to theater shows and lounge entertainment shall be scaled to fit charges matching Broadway and Vegas.

- Inside cabin passengers and Suite passengers shall be charged an additional discretionary amount to be determined by X at the end of the cruise. Reasoning, you did not pay enough for your cabin or the amount you paid means you can pay more.

- At formal gatherings such as Captains Cocktail Party, etc. greeting and speaking to officers and ships staff will require a $5.00 handshake fee or $10.00 for a hug. On a personal note, I am out ten bucks if Captain Kate is there.

You wonder what else can add to the enjoyment of your cruise. I'll probably still get on the boat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, cgolf2 said:

Question on the change language. We have a room with 3 in it, and my wife and I will get the beverage package. Down the road when we add the soda package to our daughter will my wife and I be hit with the extra charge because it is a change to an account even though not the to people getting the perk.

No, because you would not be choosing your daughter's soda package as a perk. You'd be purchasing this for her at the going daily rate, plus gratuity. 

8 hours ago, chamima said:

Yes, but some of us are concerned that upgrading will constitute a "change" in your reservation and they have said any change will incur the $14/pp/day fee.

If we were planning on upgrading anyways then it's just like buying insurance to make sure no fees are assessed to do it now.

Hi Karen.  Hope all is well.  Miss cruising with you and Allan.  Happy New Year too.

Upgrading should not be considered a "change" but who knows how it might be interpreted onboard so I upgraded via the cruise planner today too.  One less thing to worry about.

If you do not see your classic package just ask Captain's club to add it - then you can upgrade whenever you like.

Mary

1 minute ago, Beba-Beba said:

Hi Karen.  Hope all is well.  Miss cruising with you and Allan.  Happy New Year too.

Upgrading should not be considered a "change" but who knows how it might be interpreted onboard so I upgraded via the cruise planner today too.  One less thing to worry about.

If you do not see your classic package just ask Captain's club to add it - then you can upgrade whenever you like.

Mary

Hi Mary

Miss you, too!

It was unbelievably easy to do on the phone. Captain's Club answered right away and the young woman who took care of me was pleasant and efficient.

This was for 2021 cruises. We're not sailing Celebrity this year. We'll see after that what the future holds.

BTW - I got a BEAUTIFUL color brochure on thick paper stock today from Celebrity advertising a sale on the Edge.  Lovely photos, great descriptions.

Ended with "Simply Book by October 2, 2019"  (today is the 3rd)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

Out of all of this, the single most interesting thing I see is that X is comparing themselves to NCL and what they charge for a beverage pkg !!  NCL?? Really??  True, they are the only other major line that offers a pkg as a perk, but NCL????

So sad....there was a time you would never hear anyone put X and NCL in the same  bracket.  But  it happens all the time now!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

So sad....there was a time you would never hear anyone put X and NCL in the same  bracket.  But  it happens all the time now!

Agree with this....but when you are racing to the bottom, you compete with the bottom. 

No different than the airlines.  American used to be an excellent airline....now I try to avoid them and I am a million mile lifetime gold Aadvantage customer.   

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Hi hcat, have you ever sailed on NCL?  It’s a different world. Katie

3 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

We all should now be aware of the latest money woes regarding X's beverage packages.

Unfortunately, there are several other upcharges, add-ons, money laundering etc. on the horizon for our enjoyment. They include but are not limited to the following.

- $100.00 per cabin charge to have two (2) single beds pushed together to create one (1) queen. Note: if rooms are connecting, guests will push the beds together.

- Cabins with balconies shall have automatic sensors detecting each time the balcony door is opened. A $5.00 open-door fee will be added to the bill with each opening.

- Dirty dishes left outside the cabin must have $10.00 included to cover the cost of pick-up. No money, no pick-up.

- Elevators will become coin operated, 25 cents to go up, 50 cents to go down. This per person charge is intended to promote more exercise and fitness. I can see that.

- Tickets to theater shows and lounge entertainment shall be scaled to fit charges matching Broadway and Vegas.

- Inside cabin passengers and Suite passengers shall be charged an additional discretionary amount to be determined by X at the end of the cruise. Reasoning, you did not pay enough for your cabin or the amount you paid means you can pay more.

- At formal gatherings such as Captains Cocktail Party, etc. greeting and speaking to officers and ships staff will require a $5.00 handshake fee or $10.00 for a hug. On a personal note, I am out ten bucks if Captain Kate is there.

You wonder what else can add to the enjoyment of your cruise. I'll probably still get on the boat.

Unless you pay for a suite, who of course will be given access to Persian Gardens in place of Aqua Class passengers.

On 9/28/2019 at 2:19 PM, grandgeezer said:

A serious drinker is someone who drinks enough that the perk has some value if they apply them self(selves).

So, my bottle of Pellegrino each night and three Heineken Zero count? 

Signed

Pompous Geezer

Edited by A Sixth?
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Oville said:

Can’t disagree more.  NCL is more Carnival than Celebrity, a place I don’t think X is going.

Hmm . We'll see . The things that made Celebrity special , perhaps a half step ahead of the other mass market brands have largely been eliminated over the last few years . Eliminated for non suite guests . 

My personal observation is that the heaviest drinkers I know who cruise have mostly migrated to Celebrity and NCL . 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't have high status with any line. We do drink cocktails and wine but it may be more beneficial for us to buy the non alcohol package and take gratuity and $300 OBC and use the OBC to purchase the cocktails and wine.   

I think more people will be bringing their own wine aboard.  Maybe Celebrity prefers getting a single $10 corkage fee and having passengers spend $300 elsewhere on board.  Many will choose the $300 OBC and $300 value of gratuities.  It is a pain in the butt bringing more than a couple of bottles on board, but that inconvenience is at the customer level and not at the Celebrity level.  Why should they care?

58 minutes ago, A Sixth? said:

So, my bottle of Pellegrino each night and three Heineken Zero count? 

Signed

Pompous Geezer

It only counts if you want it to.

It took you five days, and this is the best you can come up with? No wonder you were too ashamed to sign your own screen name, I would have done the same thing.

56 minutes ago, richstowe said:

Hmm . We'll see . The things that made Celebrity special , perhaps a half step ahead of the other mass market brands have largely been eliminated over the last few years . Eliminated for non suite guests . 

My personal observation is that the heaviest drinkers I know who cruise have mostly migrated to Celebrity and NCL . 

Was this your last Celebrity Cruise:

Celebrity Constellation -March/2014 Caribbean

1 hour ago, hubofhockey said:

I think more people will be bringing their own wine aboard.  Maybe Celebrity prefers getting a single $10 corkage fee and having passengers spend $300 elsewhere on board.  Many will choose the $300 OBC and $300 value of gratuities.  It is a pain in the butt bringing more than a couple of bottles on board, but that inconvenience is at the customer level and not at the Celebrity level.  Why should they care?

Corkage fee is $25.00. Depending on the length of cruise and stateroom your gratuities estimate isn't accurate. Bringing the allowed two 750 ml bottles of wine isn't a pain. Smuggling additional bottles would be. 

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, hubofhockey said:

I've been buying  the packages or taking them as a perk for so long that I keep forgetting that we can still bring wine onboard.