Weather reports show rain in every port! Advice, please.

SwimCarrie

So, looks like our upcoming fall colors cruise is going to be a pretty wet one. That's okay...we can dry off after we get back on the ship, but I do need advice. We are flying across the country, so rain boots are out (and uncomfortable for walking tours, anyway). Do we bring 2 pair of sneakers each (one dry pair and one wet pair?) This is an expensive trip already...do I have to spend $30 each way for an additional piece of luggage so I can have dry shoes? LOL. I know there are probably shoes that exist that are lightweight and waterproof but we're from California...we'll never need them again! 🤣 We have lightweight raincoats but wet shoes and socks....ewww. 

Just now, SwimCarrie said:

So, looks like our upcoming fall colors cruise is going to be a pretty wet one. That's okay...we can dry off after we get back on the ship, but I do need advice. We are flying across the country, so rain boots are out (and uncomfortable for walking tours, anyway). Do we bring 2 pair of sneakers each (one dry pair and one wet pair?) This is an expensive trip already...do I have to spend $30 each way for an additional piece of luggage so I can have dry shoes? LOL. I know there are probably shoes that exist that are lightweight and waterproof but we're from California...we'll never need them again! 🤣 We have lightweight raincoats but wet shoes and socks....ewww. 

One thing we did for Alaska- we brought 2 pairs of shoes, and spayed them with waterproofing stuff that I found at our local outdoorsy store (maybe it was at Gander Mountain?).  It kept our feet pretty dry 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vacationlover_mn said:

One thing we did for Alaska- we brought 2 pairs of shoes, and spayed them with waterproofing stuff that I found at our local outdoorsy store (maybe it was at Gander Mountain?).  It kept our feet pretty dry 🙂

Oh, great idea! Did you waterproof sneakers by any chance? Did it work out okay on that kind of material?

8 minutes ago, SwimCarrie said:

Oh, great idea! Did you waterproof sneakers by any chance? Did it work out okay on that kind of material?

2 pairs of new balance sneakers (the more expensive ones), 2 pairs of “hiking style” sneaker/boot things.  It seemed to work out ok 🙂. We also sprayed the waterproofing on the backpack that we took ashore, and our camera case.  It helped keep our stuff from getting drenched.

Just now, vacationlover_mn said:

2 pairs of new balance sneakers (the more expensive ones), 2 pairs of “hiking style” sneaker/boot things.  It seemed to work out ok 🙂. We also sprayed the waterproofing on the backpack that we took ashore, and our camera case.  It helped keep our stuff from getting drenched.

I'm so glad I asked! Thank you!

• Like 2

When are you leaving?  I live just south of Boston and the upcoming week looks fantastic.  Warm Sunday through Wednesday,  bit of rain on Thursday leading to chillier weather on Friday.  But I always bring at least 2 pair of walking/outside shoes.  Spraying them is a great solution.  Have a great cruise - the leaves are beautiful

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mduffy1834 said:

When are you leaving?  I live just south of Boston and the upcoming week looks fantastic.  Warm Sunday through Wednesday,  bit of rain on Thursday leading to chillier weather on Friday.  But I always bring at least 2 pair of walking/outside shoes.  Spraying them is a great solution.  Have a great cruise - the leaves are beautiful

Right when the rain comes, 10/6 🤣

We've used the waterproofing spray from Target; seems to work.

If I'm going to be out all day, sometimes I take just a spare pair of socks.  It feels good to stop, take off shoes and socks, air the feet for a bit, put on the dry socks, the wet shoes.  Lots of comfort for very little bulk and weight.

We spend a lot of time outdoors...running, walking or hiking...when it's raining, we have socks, then use a thin plastic grocery bag over the socks, then put on our shoes........stays dry most of the time.  Hope that helps. 😊  (The plastic bags are basically weightless, so you can bring a few of them on your trip.)

9 hours ago, SwimCarrie said:

I just got back from a 21 night Canada/New England cruise.

Beforehand, the forecast showed many days of rain and cool weather.

In reality?  ONE day of bad weather, and lots of warm temperatures.

So you never know.  🙂

48 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I just got back from a 21 night Canada/New England cruise.

Beforehand, the forecast showed many days of rain and cool weather.

In reality?  ONE day of bad weather, and lots of warm temperatures.

So you never know.  🙂

I hope you are correct.  Our cruise seems to have lots of rain and cool weather.  Leaving Quebec City October 7. 

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

We spend a lot of time outdoors...running, walking or hiking...when it's raining, we have socks, then use a thin plastic grocery bag over the socks, then put on our shoes........stays dry most of the time.  Hope that helps. 😊  (The plastic bags are basically weightless, so you can bring a few of them on your trip.)

Wonder bag snow boots! Bread bags work VERY good for this because they are narrow and long. My mom used to do this in the winter as they didn't have enough money for snow boots and she carried this on with us (we did have snow boots though). You'd be very surprised how well they work to keep your feet dry and you can't really tell that you have them on over your socks. 

• Like 1

I bought a pair of waterproof hiking sneakers for my Alaska cruise. Even in the rain and walking through puddles my feet stayed dry. I got mine from a Columbia outlet for around 60, but there's several brands that have them. 

That's what I'd do. Sneakers won't dry in a day. Spraying them with waterproof might work, though it'll depend on what material they are (I think mesh ones wouldn't work as well with the spray but I'm not sure).

I have been eyeing the new Sketchers Lightweight (slip ons). Would be easy to pack. We will be doing the snowbird cruise from Quebec City next year (is that the cruise you are taking?). Hope you do a review. I would be very interested in hearing about it! Bring extra socks and wash them out in your sink every day then you will always have dry socks to change into 🙂     And, layers.... Hope you have a Great cruise!  3 weeks for our "short" 9 day cruise out of Baltimore (going south)! Can't wait!